+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week

Default images of unsafe baby practices in the media

for the trillionth time, I didn't suggest anyone was seeing these images then going "fab idea, let's put bubs to sleep in top of the fridge whilst balanced inside a Panama hat"

I said, people may see these images and try to replicate the photo shoot at home. like rather than pay a photographer, they may think they'll DIY, not realizing there's someone actually holding the baby in the professional shoot that's been photoshopped out. that's where the risk is. people endangering their babies for the purposes of replicating these idiotic images.

far out. I didn't think it was that complicated a concept to grasp?
    Last edited by turquoisecoast; 12-05-2016 at 19:08.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to turquoisecoast For This Useful Post:

VicPark  (13-05-2016)

rainbow road is offline look at the stars, look how they shine for you
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I don't think many people would try to replicate an obviously staged newborn photo at home.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 29/5/15Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week100 Posts in a week
    I also think if they are dumb enough to pose babies in unsafe ways for photos (sleeping or not) would be dumb enough to follow any bad advice.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Mamasupial View Post
    I also think if they are dumb enough to pose babies in unsafe ways for photos (sleeping or not) would be dumb enough to follow any bad advice.
    what about the people who are "dumb enough" to think the images with the cot bumpers and stuffed toys are safe and replicate this sleeping environment for their baby at home?

i think there should be a point where safety education should be more important than cutsey sh.t and dressing your kid up in ridiculous outfits.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to turquoisecoast For This Useful Post:

A-Squared  (12-05-2016),VicPark  (13-05-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I do find the original image odd, a baby in a basket we have seen a million times but on the edge of a shelf I struggle to understand the composition of that photo...

I agree I wouldn't think anyone would be silly enough to put their baby in danger trying to take a cute photo at home, but then stranger things have happened, there are some dumb people out there.

I personally believe all magazines should have disclaimers/fine print where Photoshop has been used to create an illusion (baby mags or otherwise), essentially a lot of these 'posed' newborn shots are exactly that - a completely safe photo that has been edited to remove props etc and make the image look more effective.

The photographer we used tried to sell me a composite image of my Bub hanging in a big swing. The actual image was taken with him lying on a blanket (which I far preferred). She then superimposed him into the basket. To the untrained eye, it looked completely real. I declined the 'photoshopped' composite, which had been really well done - I am not into those super posed shots with props etc. But plenty of people are, I just don't think everyone realises they are composites not actual photos as they were taken.

I know my photographer has notes on her website and social media outlining that at no time are babies in any danger and that props are used etc so yes this kind of disclaimer probably should be in publications as well.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to sunnygirl79 For This Useful Post:

turquoisecoast  (12-05-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 29/5/15Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week100 Posts in a week
    So everyone should stop doing things that they see as an acceptable risk incase others are too dumb to understand the context?

I agree that advertising with unsafe photos isn't ok but stopping all unsafe photos in media is unrealistic.

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Mamasupial For This Useful Post:

Bond Girl  (12-05-2016),DT75  (12-05-2016),smallpotatoes  (12-05-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Quote Originally Posted by turquoisecoast View Post
    what about the people who are "dumb enough" to think the images with the cot bumpers and stuffed toys are safe and replicate this sleeping environment for their baby at home?

i think there should be a point where safety education should be more important than cutsey sh.t and dressing your kid up in ridiculous outfits.
    I understand the point of your original post and agree to some extent, the picture used as the example I didn't have an issue with though.

The main problem with cot bumpers is that they are sold in baby shops and designed to be used in a way that's unsafe. If I were to walk into a baby shop and buy an item for my child and use it as per the manufacturers instructions / intended purpose, I would assume it is safe. People who attended prenatal classes would be told they are not safe but not everyone goes to those classes (eg grandparents, parents who have had children previously - maybe before the SIDs guidelines came out). They should just not be available for purchase.

Edit: DF brought a cot bumper for DD!! I wouldn't let him use it. He honestly had no idea about the SIDS risk. He does know however not to leave a baby in a basket on a shelf. Well I hope 😂
    Last edited by babyno1onboard; 12-05-2016 at 19:35.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    If someone is stupid enough to see a photo like this and not know someone would have been photoshopped out.... well their baby is already at risk and that 'parent' is going to do something even without seeing it.

Sorry but personal responsibility.

It;s like all the crap about the news and video games making people more violent... um no, we were always like that. There isn't more of it, there is more people, and more discussion/openness.

ETA: As for cot bumpers etc, it's really nit the same. They are available in every baby store. If noone tells you about the risk, or you aren't a googler, or the stores don't stop selling it....
    Last edited by DT75; 12-05-2016 at 19:44.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to DT75 For This Useful Post:

Mamasupial  (12-05-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by babyno1onboard View Post
    I understand the point of your original post and agree to some extent, the picture used as the example I didn't have an issue with though.

The main problem with cot bumpers is that they are sold in baby shops and designed to be used in a way that's unsafe. If I were to walk into a baby shop and buy an item for my child and use it as per the manufacturers instructions / intended purpose, I would assume it is safe. People who attended prenatal classes would be told they are not safe but not everyone goes to those classes (eg grandparents, parents who have had children previously - maybe before the SIDs guidelines came out). They should just not be available for purchase.

Edit: DF brought a cot bumper for DD!! I wouldn't let him use it. He honestly had no idea about the SIDS risk. He does know however not to leave a baby in a basket on a shelf. Well I hope 😂
    my dh was confused too. after all the sids safe stuff they still into you, he was like well if this stuff is being sold in baby shops, surely it's ok?

I don't know one person who's bought a cot bumper, I'm surprised these companies are a) allowed to manufacture this stuff for sale and b) that obviously they're making enough profit on the sale of these items to continue manufacturing them.

so obviously there are people buying this stuff!

it should be taken off the market!

15. The Following User Says Thank You to turquoisecoast For This Useful Post:

babyno1onboard  (12-05-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/10/14100 Posts in a week

Quote Originally Posted by turquoisecoast View Post
    my dh was confused too. after all the sids safe stuff they still into you, he was like well if this stuff is being sold in baby shops, surely it's ok?

I don't know one person who's bought a cot bumper, I'm surprised these companies are a) allowed to manufacture this stuff for sale and b) that obviously they're making enough profit on the sale of these items to continue manufacturing them.

so obviously there are people buying this stuff!

it should be taken off the market!
    But so are sleep wedges or whatever they're called. They are still sold (and used by heaps of people) yet they're considered a SIDS risk.

I knew someone who had bumpers because she liked them. They were always removed whenever the baby went in for a sleep.