Closed Thread
Page 35 of 40 FirstFirst ... 253334353637 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Phony View Post
    If those children are Australian born, how is that normal for them?
    My cousins might be Australian born but they speak, eat, live like there are in Chennai. For them going back to India for holidays isn't going overseas. It's going home as they identify as Indian. Their birthplace is immaterial. They are only temporarily here cos their parents work here.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Rose&Aurelia&Hannah For This Useful Post:

Phony  (16-05-2016),twinklify  (16-05-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    If those children are Australian born, how is that normal for them?
    I was born in Australia and my family's culture is quite prevalent in my childhood.

My grandparents lived with us. The first language we spoke was not English.

There are many communities that are closeknit so the culture and traditions kept. Even though we may be born in Australia does that mean I am to forget where I came from? And what is important to me and my family with our traditions?

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to twinklify For This Useful Post:

atomicmama  (16-05-2016),Phony  (16-05-2016),Rose&Aurelia&Hannah  (16-05-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Actually the biggest reason why people send their kids OS to spend holidays and other lengths of time is that the Australian govt has tightened visas for grandparents dramatically. Previously my grandmother would come for 3-9mth long visits. But the generous Howard govt changed the visa requirements and she wasn't allowed to come any more. So in order to still see her and we had to go live with her.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Rose&Aurelia&Hannah For This Useful Post:

Phony  (16-05-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Rose&Aurelia&Hannah View Post
    My cousins might be Australian born but they speak, eat, live like there are in Chennai. For them going back to India for holidays isn't going overseas. It's going home as they identify as Indian. Their birthplace is immaterial. They are only temporarily here cos their parents work here.
    OK, fair enough.
    So your cousins have no intention of staying?
    I'm just interested, it's not a leading question.

Quote Originally Posted by twinklify View Post
    I was born in Australia and my family's culture is quite prevalent in my childhood.

My grandparents lived with us. The first language we spoke was not English.

There are many communities that are closeknit so the culture and traditions kept. Even though we may be born in Australia does that mean I am to forget where I came from? And what is important to me and my family with our traditions?
    OK, that makes sense.
    There's little pockets of different cultures everywhere.
    I just find the idea of shipping your kids out to another country hard to grasp.
    Do you think being shipped off for a number of years would help or hinder the life of a child here that was to make Australia home?
    I can see the benefits on one hand, but if they intended to stay here I can't see a break in their education would help them.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by harvs View Post
    Also, seriously the sleep thread references are becoming completely tedious. There is more than one personal attack going on here and it's been happening since the start of the thread.
    It would be nice Harvs if you afforded the same level of scrutiny to your friends. If you want to know how sleep became involved in this thread have a look back to post nr 4.

Thanks
    Reviews
    OK, that makes sense.
    There's little pockets of different cultures everywhere.
    I just find the idea of shipping your kids out to another country hard to grasp.
    Do you think being shipped off for a number of years would help or hinder the life of a child here that was to make Australia home?
    I can see the benefits on one hand, but if they intended to stay here I can't see a break in their education would help them.
    For me we didn't go overseas to grandparents - they came to us and we lived together so I would not do that.

But regarding the education etc - there are exchange programs where you live/study in another country for months/a year etc. That is considered a great opportunity (well it was when I was in school) and was not considered a detriment to education.

I would look at it as similar to that although you are with family and not strangers.

RAH - I would assume if the child/teen was not willing to go they would not be forced. If someone was forced against their will then I can see that being detrimental. But if they want to go then that could be an opportunity IYKWIM?

Oh also a random side note - when I went to Europe I visited the country where my family is from. It is hard to explain but it felt like home. Even though I had never been there before. The smells/language/behaviour etc was something I was so familiar with and seemed a part of me.

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to twinklify For This Useful Post:

harvs  (16-05-2016),Phony  (16-05-2016),Rose&Aurelia&Hannah  (16-05-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by VicPark View Post
    It would be nice Harvs if you afforded the same level of scrutiny to your friends. If you want to know how sleep became involved in this thread have a look back to post nr 4.
    Honest question, are you ok? Your actually becoming a mean girl and I've noticed your posts the last month or so are just getting meaner and more argumentative , for really no apparent reason - it's great to debate and argue but it's getting a bit silly now - and no I'm not part of any clique or gang - I just think your tone is coming through that your hurting , and are therefore trying to hurt others , don't take offence , I might be wrong but it's just my observation

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Elijahs Mum For This Useful Post:

mummymaybe  (16-05-2016),Ngaiz  (16-05-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by ~Marigold~ View Post
    VP, off topic, I'm just so curious though... Is your hubby privy to your online persona? When he gets home do you tell him what you've been discussing online all day? What does he think? You're such a strong willed, stubborn character, it's actually quite astonishing to come back and see you're still here fighting and have been for days.
    I want to word that better but honestly don't know how. I just wonder if you ever get tired? I'm drained just reading this back and forth, seriously! It's absolutely mentally exhausting. Do you feel that? Or do you just switch off when you log off the hub? I'm asking genuinely here, too.
    Errr... That is a little off topic.

Usually I'm happy to leave things at one or two posts. However if people come back and quote and ask questions then what's the problem with answering?

If the clique (yes still going to use that term despite attempts to ban the use ) are allowed to continue discussion including by answering questions and raising new points ...if they are allowed to continue discussion by not changing their views... Then why can't I continue discussions by answer the questions? By raising new points And by my not changing my view?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by VicPark View Post
    Errr... That is a little off topic.

Usually I'm happy to leave things at one or two posts. However if people come back and quote and ask questions then what's the problem with answering?

If the clique (yes still going to use that term despite attempts to ban the use ) are allowed to continue discussion including by answering questions and raising new points ...if they are allowed to continue discussion by not changing their views... Then why can't I continue discussions by answer the questions? By raising new points And by my not changing my view?
    Please identify the clique. I'd be very fascinated. I disagree often with many of the women agreeing with the sentiments expressed on here.

You do know by you're own definition you're part of your own clique? Surely you've figured that much out?

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Sonja For This Useful Post:

Renn  (16-05-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    My dad is from London originally and his whole family still live there. Each of the 4 times my parents had a new baby my English grandmother came to Australia to live with us for 6 months, we all moved there for 2 years and lived and went to school in London, my grandmother moved in with us in Aust when my mum was sick and dying, my brother and I spent a whole summer holidays with her in London during high school. Her house in London was never foreign to us, it was our home and our family and friends were there. I don't see how this is any different? We never went to daycare but grew very close to our family. I am grateful my parents gave us that. I don't see what the issue is here.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Barnaby For This Useful Post:

Rose&Aurelia&Hannah  (16-05-2016)