+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Holiday with 6 month old

Am trying to organise a short holiday in QLD for my family which includes my six month old twins.

Probably a silly question but how do mums sterilise bottles whilst away ?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

If your room has a microwave then use a microwave steriliser. If it has a stovetop then boil them. If you just have a kettle then soak them in boiling water in the sink.

You could also just bring Milton and soak them in the bathroom basin

If you get stuck, I'm pretty sure the latest guidelines say sterilising is no longer necessary. A clean with warm soapy water and rinsed is fine

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by bel2466 View Post
    If your room has a microwave then use a microwave steriliser. If it has a stovetop then boil them. If you just have a kettle then soak them in boiling water in the sink.

If you get stuck, I'm pretty sure the latest guidelines say sterilising is no longer necessary. A clean with warm soapy water and rinsed is fine
    Exactly this.

And yes I think the guidelines day no need to sterilise once Bub is 6 months old.

Are your twins 6 months now or is the holiday some time away? You might find that they are crawling and getting into all sorts of stuff by then.

I recall once sterilising bottles while watching DD lick the floor and decided that I was wasting my time...

4. The Following User Says Thank You to babyno1onboard For This Useful Post:

LittleBug'sMum  (12-05-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Of your staying in an apt it'll most likely have a dishwasher in it. Put them in that each day for their wash

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week

MCHN we saw last week said the guidelines now say you only need to sterilize once when you bring the bottles home from the shop then just wash thoroughly with warm/hot soapy water and rinse well.

I would personally sterilize once a day up to 6 months of age. after they've started solids then I'd probably stop sterilizing.

if you do want to keep sterilizing, I'd prob just boil the bottles and teats in a pot on the stove then leave to dry.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Just came back from a holiday with the 7 m old. Baby was 6m while we travel oversea.

As suggested above, we boiled them on stove top. Otherwise, we boiled the water in electrical kettle, poured the boiled water into the bottle and soaked for 5 mins (DH method). Me just shook the bottle with tear and lid on. Then poured the boiled water out. I rinsed teat prior with the boiled water as well.

To be honest, daycare only uses warm soupy water now. Also, DS has been licking wherever since 4 months old. It is just for our peace of mind sterilising his bottle.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Medela sells zip lock sterilising bags that you put in the microwave. You get about 10 uses out of each bag, from memory. I picked them up from Toys R Us, I think. (It was a couple of years ago!)

ETA: They're called Medela Quick Clean Microwave Sterilising Bags.
    Last edited by Gentoo; 12-05-2016 at 00:21.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Ditto the ziplock sterilisation bags. I use them for everything, dummies, bottles, breast pump parts etc. 1-2 mins in microwave with 60ml water and you're done. I took them to Thailand when we travelled with DS1 and most hotel rooms will have a microwave. Failing that the Milton tablets you can buy at supermarket, fill a sink or just break up tablet and full bottle with water and a bit of tablet for 10 mins then rinse.

I think it's fine not to sterilise breastmilk bottles, but cows milk in particular (if you were using formula etc) is horrendous for bacteria so I would always sterilise. Then again even water bottles can get mouldy, I sterilise ours every so often.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts

I didn't sterilise bottles every time. Just wash in hot soapy water.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks all for the suggestions- how could I have forgotten about miltons! Also wasn't even aware of guidelines