+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Please help.... wwyd re. Sick child??

So I'm after some sort of advice regarding my 5yr old dd (6 this year, in prep) Lately I've noticed a change in her. She has becoming very sensitive and sooky with me and is always telling me shes sick. She can be a little dramatic so I dont know how much to worry and i dont want to be that mother who rushes to the drs every second day for every little sneeze or cough. She is saying that her tummy hurts. She has runny poos quite often or will have hard pebbles, she always tells me her tummy and back hurts when trying to do a poo. She is usually very active happy and energetic but the last 2 weeks she seems subdued and lathargic. Last week she cried every morning before school saying she was sick and didnt want to go(which is out of the ordinary for her). We found out a few of her friends have been leaving her out and thought that was the issue. Shes also looked a little washed out and her eyes seem dull.

The tummy issues have been going on for a while and a few weeks back we took her to dr and they did a stool sample and everything came back fine. Today I could barely wake her for school and she went to the office with a headache (i didnt get called she told me this when i picked her up she said she laid for a bit and they gave her a cold pack for her head)

Like I said she can be dramatic and a bit of a hypochondriac (she gets that from me) she is also a big daddys girl and he works away, just left last monday and will be gone for most the month. I don't know if its just an attention thing or if it could be something more.

Sorry if this is rambling on and makes no sense I'm just very concerned and not sure what to do. Was thinking of just getting the dr to do a full check up including bloods to see if we can pinpoint anything but a lot of times i feel the drs just fob me off as a worrying mother (which I know I am as shes my only child and I've had lots of misscarriages so I do baby her a little)

If you made it this far thank you.... I'm not even sure what im asking but any advice is much appreciated ☺

Thanks
    Reviews
    My dd had something similar when she was in prep. I took her to the dr to make sure she wasnt constipated or anythibg else the matter. Luckily she is at an awesome school who worked with us and we found out it was anxiety. So we had the school counselor come see her for a few months to work on exercises to help keep her calm and the tumny aches have pretty much disappeared.
    I would take her to the dr to rule anythibg else out but pergaps anxiety could be an issue?

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Purple Poppy For This Useful Post:

melimum  (11-05-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Purple Poppy View Post
    My dd had something similar when she was in prep. I took her to the dr to make sure she wasnt constipated or anythibg else the matter. Luckily she is at an awesome school who worked with us and we found out it was anxiety. So we had the school counselor come see her for a few months to work on exercises to help keep her calm and the tumny aches have pretty much disappeared.
    I would take her to the dr to rule anythibg else out but pergaps anxiety could be an issue?

Was as going to say the exact same thing. My prep daughter was exactly the same, always had a sore tummy or headache. Turned out to be anxiety. She started seeing a psychologist and the counsellor at school and has been so much better since!

5. The Following User Says Thank You to 3bubbys For This Useful Post:

melimum  (11-05-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I would probably ask for full bloods and a coeliac test to rule out anything medical first.
    If everything was clear then I agree with the above. Perhaps anxiety.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bond Girl For This Useful Post:

melimum  (11-05-2016),SSecret Squirrel  (11-05-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I say trust your mummy instincts and push for full blood examination to rule anything out. She does sound like something is not quite right, but you're her mother so you know her best. As mums we just KNOW when they're not right.

My mummy instinct was very much tested last year when we found out about DD's cancer. In her case it was a very fast progression and she was literally only showing symptoms for 10 days leading up to taking her to hospital, but I just knew she wasn't right at all. I figured that the best case scenario would be that it was nothing (unfortunately not the case).

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Hollywood For This Useful Post:

melimum  (11-05-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    My first thought was constipation.

I would rule that out plus coeliac/gut bacteria.

If that is all clear it could be anxiety. Is she like that on the weekends too?

11. The Following User Says Thank You to twinklify For This Useful Post:

melimum  (11-05-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thank you for the replies. Anxiety could actually be the answer now I think about it, its something both dp and myself have both had in the past.

Hollywood I'm so sorry about your daughter.... good thing you listened to your instinct. I keep thinking I'm just having mummy stress but your right we have to learn to trust ourselves when something isn't quite right.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to melimum For This Useful Post:

Hollywood  (11-05-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I would be getting her tested for cealics to rule it out. All the symptoms match.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Oh test for parasites too.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Sounds exactly like my DD- she had all the physical investigations under the sun, and was eventually diagnosed with anxiety.