+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 13 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by VicPark View Post
    Sounds like you had a wonderful childhood.

People are less likely to judge things they are familiar with, and more likely to judge things they are unfamiliar with.
    I did and I count my blessings.
    Like I said before, I think judging is normal, instinctive and healthy - it's our inner voice and it's something I'm trying to get my kids to be aware of and to listen to.
    I just think that ultimately there are so many children who are suffering in this world and this country that a toddler spending two nights a week with grandparents seems like a non issue to me.

2. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to misskittyfantastico For This Useful Post:

delirium  (14-05-2016),Elijahs Mum  (14-05-2016),Gentoo  (15-05-2016),Kaybaby  (14-05-2016),Rocky27  (15-05-2016),Rose&Aurelia&Hannah  (15-05-2016),VicPark  (14-05-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Each to their own. If she and her husband think they need the break and it helps, then why not? My kids have sleep overs once a month at their grandparents while me and partner go out or occasionally have weekends away. My parents did this too and my sister and I loved staying at out grandparents or aunty's and uncle's, sometimes we would even stay for a week or two. Personally I couldn't do it every weekend, but as I said each to their own.

Thanks
    Reviews
    My kids were going to their dad's every weekend last year (it happened for a year) he said he was happy to pay for swimming lessons each Saturday, now he is living overseas so obviously they aren't going to his place at all. Because we homeschool I see my kids all the time anyway.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    My in laws use to live around corner from me...like 1 minute walk. My son was often there for 2-3 hours 5 days a week. Now after school he spends 2 hours there about 3-4 days a week because he loves them so much and they adore him. But my job and my husband's job is normal office hours so no need for a sleep over. He sees them for the equivalent of a work day spread out. I tried to get him to sleep over...he won't ! Now they live only 3 minutes away. I can have dinner out with my husband alone or out somewhere any time i want because my son is the only grandchild...but we can't stay out past 10:30 cause my mother in law gets tired. We cam totally relax with him around though.

Sent from my GT-N7105T using The Bub Hub mobile app

6. The Following User Says Thank You to ProudMumma34 For This Useful Post:

Rose&Aurelia&Hannah  (15-05-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    If all parties are happy with this arrangement, especially the child then I don't see anything wrong with it.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mod-Degrassi View Post
    Rachael Finch has come under fire for revealing that every weekend (Friday to Sunday) her MIL looks after her 2.5 year old daughter so her and her DH can have alone time.

Here is the article:

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/rac...story-comments

What are your thoughts? Do you think her DD is missing out on quality time with her parents?

Would you consider this type of arrangement yourself?
    I don't know the whole story so call me ignorant if you wish.. It really depends on the situation. Are they spending all their time Monday to Friday with her or is she in care? If theyre spending all their time together during the week fair enough... if she's in care then why the hell do they have children?

I know a person who works full time and one day on the weekend her mother in law looks afte rher child and on the other day her husband and her split it... so that she has the morning and he has the afternoon like it's a bloody job or something. I kind of wonder why they bother having kids.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by misskittyfantastico View Post
    Maybe that's a bit of a reason people are so polar? I saw my grandparents every single day growing up -their house was as much my house as my own was, they were a part of my immediate family.
    I felt so loved there and so secure there. As much as if I were in my own home.
    I never ever felt palmed off or anything - the opposite if anything.
    Yes! Same here. My grandparents (both sides) I saw all the time, had overnight stays on a regular basis, sometimes for weeks at a time (when I was older). I never felt "palmed off" I never thought my parents loved me any less. They both worked, we saw them after school. It was no big deal. I loved going to my grandparents and other relatives. So many great memories.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Homeschooling4 For This Useful Post:

misskittyfantastico  (15-05-2016),Rose&Aurelia&Hannah  (15-05-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    It's not an arrangement I wouls be comfortable with for my family, but if it works for them - why not. There are a lot of things other families do that are 'not for me'. Daycare is not for my kids, neither is soft drink, neither is bratz or monster high dolls. Doesnt mean there is anything wrong with these things, it just isn't for us. The parents care for their child all week, so IMO it's no different to having 2 days a week in daycare, or being cared for by a grandparent while the parents work. We are a strange society in that we only value time spent in paid employment as 'valuable'. I bet if the parents were both working all weekend, no-one would bat an eyelid about the grandma babysitting. It's our culture, too - mum looks after kids 100% of the time. If it works for them & the grandma & child are willing, then who am I to judge

12. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to cheeeeesecake For This Useful Post:

Homeschooling4  (16-05-2016),Renn  (15-05-2016),Rose&Aurelia&Hannah  (16-05-2016),Sonja  (15-05-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by cheeeeesecake View Post
    It's not an arrangement I wouls be comfortable with for my family, but if it works for them - why not. There are a lot of things other families do that are 'not for me'. Daycare is not for my kids, neither is soft drink, neither is bratz or monster high dolls. Doesnt mean there is anything wrong with these things, it just isn't for us. The parents care for their child all week, so IMO it's no different to having 2 days a week in daycare, or being cared for by a grandparent while the parents work. We are a strange society in that we only value time spent in paid employment as 'valuable'. I bet if the parents were both working all weekend, no-one would bat an eyelid about the grandma babysitting. It's our culture, too - mum looks after kids 100% of the time. If it works for them & the grandma & child are willing, then who am I to judge
    I agree. And given what they both do for a living I'm pretty confident some part of their Saturday's would be spent working.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Rachael Finch under fire - MIL babysits child every weekend

I did not used to have an opinion on Rachael finch but I just came across this doozy reading who magazine-

"What beauty advice will you give your daughter?
    To know the importance of taking care of her skin and general appearance. "
    She also spoke how her mum always spent time on her appearance just to go to the corner store- apparently that is self respect.

Bleh. How about the importance of natural or inner beauty? Or that she's loved and doesn't need to "spend time" on her looks? I have no issues with make up, I enjoy doing myself up, but I know it's not important or necessary. Is slapping on make up to get milk really self respect?

How self absorbed. I feel sorry for her daughter, too bad if she's a tomboy and disappoints you. Fancy growing up in that environment. Your mum's too busy enjoying her weekends and making herself pretty.
    Last edited by Little Miss Sunshine; 29-11-2016 at 18:47.

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Little Miss Sunshine For This Useful Post:

TheGooch  (29-11-2016),VicPark  (29-11-2016)