+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week

Default Rachael Finch under fire - MIL babysits child every weekend

Rachael Finch has come under fire for revealing that every weekend (Friday to Sunday) her MIL looks after her 2.5 year old daughter so her and her DH can have alone time.

Here is the article:

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/rac...story-comments

What are your thoughts? Do you think her DD is missing out on quality time with her parents?

Would you consider this type of arrangement yourself?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I wouldn't consider this arrangement myself for a number of reasons. I don't have much of an opinion about Rachel finch (I don't even know who that is?!) doing so, however, as it's not really my business.

3. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Barnaby For This Useful Post:

Cicho  (11-05-2016),NORgirl  (11-05-2016),Wise Enough  (11-05-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I have no idea who she is. But if they have enough quality time with their child at other times and everyone is happy with this arrangement then good on them.

Me on the other hand I dont think I could do it every week, but once a month would be nice

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I just read this article. Firstly what they do is none of my business and if it works for them so be it.

It would not work for my family. DH sees DS2 for about 5 hours Mon-Fri due to work. He would never agree to the little guy being gone most of the weekend!

That said I would LOVE to have family close by and do this maybe once a month - I can definitely see the positive impact it would have on my relationship with DH and my energy levels personally.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm jealous.
    Love my kids but miss my weekends.
    If it were an option- if both the grandparents and kids wanted to, and we still had quality time as a family- I'd do it in a heartbeat.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Little Miss Sunshine For This Useful Post:

NORgirl  (11-05-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    This kind of arrangement wouldn't work for me, but I work normal hours and am hectic during the week, so I need the weekends with the kids because I feel I miss out on so much during the week.
    But, given she's a model (I think? In entertainment anyway) she wouldn't work a standard week, so she probably is with her daughter a lot during the week.

The way I look at it is, she says her child is happy and well looked after, she has a great relationship with her parents and her grandparents, that is awesome! It takes village doesn't it?

I feel so bad for her with some comments I've seen on other sites. Having hundreds of armchair commentators saying what a mad mother you are would be so hurtful

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/10/14100 Posts in a week

Default Rachael Finch under fire - MIL babysits child every weekend

I can't read the link as I'm not a subscriber.

But. No I don't like the idea and wouldn't do it. I love my weekends with my kids and wouldn't change it for all the free weekends in the world.

I could understand half a day or even a weekly sleepover but the entire weekend? If her husband works or she works during the week when are they spending time together as a family?

Just to clarify I don't really give a toss what she does and have no idea who she even is but find it a very odd arrangement because in my case my kids are at school all week and DH works as do I so we'd never have family time.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Didn't read it but who cares really. If they are happy doing that so be it. My older kids go to my mum's occasionally for a weekend or their dad's for the weekend some times, if someone has the money to do stuff every weekend or a mother or a mother in law who wants the kids every weekend, lucky them.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yes I read the article when it came out and sucked my breath in because I thought it did not come across well and knew there would be a backlash.
    I think the gist of it was that her partner is home with their daughter during the day during the week while she works then she gets home and he goes to work at 3pm so she looks after their daughter in the evening. Then Friday afternoon she goes to grandparents til Sunday morning. The way it was presented in the article this was so they could have couple time without the daughter around.
    My thought too was when do they have family time? Sunday afternoon?
    I personally wouldn't have this arrangement even if I could. Even though wow life would be a lot 'easier' if I only had to look after my DD evenings and 1 day on the weekend. And 2 kid-free nights and sleep ins every weekend wowee! But weekends for us are for doing things as a family. And I'd miss her too much. DD is only 10 months old and DH and I are yet to even have her babysat and it will be a long while before that happens. Combination of too hard, no one to help, and we just don't want to leave her yet to go out for dinner/movie/whatever.

For those that can't access the article here are the relevant bits:

"Staying at home fulltime with Violet is simply not an option so ­instead the toddler spends the day with her father until 3pm, when he ­begins teaching dance classes, and the late afternoon and evening with her mother, after Finch has finished her modelling and presenting work for the day.
    On weekends, from Friday afternoon until Sunday morning, the two-and-a-half-year-old stays with Miziner’s mother, Irena.
    Every weekend (Violet) goes to Mish’s mum’s house, and we get our weekend to ourselves. I think that’s incredibly healthy for the relationship. And on Sunday, when we pick her up, we have 100 per cent energy back.”

12. The Following User Says Thank You to gingermillie For This Useful Post:

WinterJade  (12-05-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm not sure how this differs from parents putting their kids into daycare, except the kids get to bond with their grandparents?
    I can't read the article though so there may be more to the story.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to babyno1onboard For This Useful Post:

NORgirl  (11-05-2016)