+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Gallbladder removal

So I've been getting odd random bouts of stomach pain since my DD was born in October and I found out today that I have a big gallstone and the way to get rid of it is to remove my gallbladder. I'm freaking out a bit because I don't want to have surgery and from what I've read there can be a lot of side effects like weight gain, digestive issues, restricted diet etc. My GP said I could ignore it until it causes more regular issues but he wouldn't recommend doing that as I want more kids and I wouldn't want this to cause any issues during pregnancy.

Anyone had their gallbladder removed? Please share how your recovery was and if you've had any long term effects following the surgery. I'm pretty worried about how I'd look after my DD while recovering if it's a longish recovery time as well as the other things I mentioned above. Thanks

hakuna matata is offline The artist formerly know as babyhopeful
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Hi. I had mine removed almost 3 years ago.

Recovery for me wasn't the best, but they had some issues during surgery which meant they dug around for longer, which is why I think I was so sore. It was keyhole, and by 2 weeks post op I was feeling much better. I understand people have a much quicker recovery time.

I have had no ill effects so far. No weight gain, no restricted diet. Back to how I was before.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to hakuna matata For This Useful Post:

besha  (11-05-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I had mine out about ten years ago. I recovered in 2 weeks. The first couple of days after it are hard but you do bounce back quickly after that. Couldn't eat fatty foods for about a year.

I had niggling pain that wouldn't go away after it. I went back to my surgeon and scans showed a large mass on my pancreas which hadn't been there before the surgery. They had nicked my pancreas which leaked into a giant psuedocyst. I had to have major surgery where they sewed it to my bowel to drain it.

So yeah I'm in that small percentage of people they stuffed up. But you know what? I'm fine now. No lasting repercussions.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Wise Enough For This Useful Post:

besha  (11-05-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I had mine out 12 months ago for the same reason. DS2 was 1 at the time. Recovery from the surgery was relatively quick only about a week but I have had a whole series of digestive issues since that continue to affect me.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to MissEdinburgh For This Useful Post:

besha  (11-05-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I should add I don't think you have a choice. Pregnancy can bring them on, so next pregnancy you could end up in a heap of pain and needing surgery while pregnant.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Wise Enough For This Useful Post:

besha  (11-05-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I had mine out Feb 2015.. I was extremely sick in hospital for 8 days until they realised it was my gall bladder. I had it out and it took me a good week to feel ok.. It took me awhile to gain my strength back due to how sick I was and my body starting to shut down. After a week I was feeling a lot better just had to watch what I ate .
    14 months on and whilst no pain , I still can't eat spicy or fatty foods.

Good luck.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Louise41 For This Useful Post:

besha  (11-05-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I had mine out two months ago, I'd never had major attacks just some mild pain. I only had one stone but it was big. I debated on not having the surgery done but chose to based on a discussion with the surgeon where he said it would be a more difficult surgery if I had to have it down the track after it had gotten inflamed etc.
    The actual surgery went smoothly, I was under for about 2-3 hours, the worst part was waking up vomiting in recovery. I was in a fair bit of pain that night but basically just slept off the anaesthetic anyway. The next day when I had to get up and shower and go home wasn't fun, the gas pain in my shoulder had me in tears until the nurse gave me some endone. I went home and napped the day away, for this day and the next I really had no energy and the gas pain was pretty bad. On my third day home I started feeling a bit better and only had panadol and neurofen from here on. I was also able to stay awake longer and only had one nap I think. My fifth day home DH went back to work and I was on my own with 4 kids and coped ok, however my youngest was a few months off 3 so understood that I couldn't lift her so she would climb in and out of the car, my older children were also a big help.
    Digestive/food wise, the first two weeks it didn't matter what I ate I would be running straight to the toilet soon after and I lost 4-5 kgs. From then on it's settled down and I can eat normally

13. The Following User Says Thank You to TableDancer For This Useful Post:

besha  (11-05-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks everyone, you've all put my mind at ease a bit. So seems like 1-2 weeks recovery is pretty normal. My bub is only 7 months old at the moment so sounds like I'll definitely need help in that time as she is too little to understand if I can't pick her up! Might need to work on her taking a bottle too since breastfeeding and hardcore painkillers aren't compatible 😕