+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks
    Reviews
    If you look online, they are very popular in America where they are called "Barndominiums". There are some really sweet design ideas out there, to make the shed a cozy home

I have just found this blog of a couple who built one in 2011. You might find it helpful
    http://hobohome.com/news/?p=731
    http://hobohome.com/motorhome_travel...120Oct2015.php
    Last edited by lolly137; 11-05-2016 at 15:23. Reason: found a informative blog link

2. The Following User Says Thank You to lolly137 For This Useful Post:

hazzyj  (11-05-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by hazzyj View Post
    Oh how cool to see a few people thinking of doing it too!
    For us it's a way to get onto the block we want as the cost of a house on top of the block is too much.

I didn't think about the bin situation! Not really an option with pooey nappies 😂

I've emailed the council to see what our options are and will go from there.

Haha I have seen them referred to as as shouse ... I bet some of them are premium!!

100 acres ... Wow we would only be looking at 3 and therefore noticeable but I think a lot of people in the area do it
    Make sure you carefully check the council's building regulations before buying. Often in farming zones you won't get a planning permit approved for anything under 100 acres that doesn't have an existing dwelling on it. I don't think it'd be a problem in residential zones though. We want to build a new house on our farm (84 acres), and thankfully the house here is quite liveable. Just not enough bedrooms so the boys are all sharing. DP can build our house himself, he'll just get certain things signed off by plumbers, sparkys etc and he will need help putting the trusses up.

When we were 'farm' hunting we did contemplate the shed option, but ended up buying with an existing house due to DD getting sick. Suddenly roughing it wasn't an option, but we still wanted to move.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Hollywood For This Useful Post:

hazzyj  (11-05-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    My mil & sil have a shed shack thing it's not insulated. So gets VERY hot.

Few things- MICE.
    Electricity? She uses a gas type fridge (which is ok as max they are there is 2 weeks).
    She has wood heater to keep her warm summer they goto beach or have an outdoor bath
    They use tank water

6. The Following User Says Thank You to monnie24 For This Useful Post:

hazzyj  (11-05-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by hazzyj View Post
    Is your sister's shouse insulated etc?
    @hazzyj, yep it is. Inside, it's just like a house, you wouldn't know! They are "off grid" with septic, full solar power and rainwater tanks. They have wood heating and split-system aircon. Because it's all brand new, it's a darn sight nicer than my house!!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Ruby_Tuesday15 View Post
    @hazzyj, yep it is. Inside, it's just like a house, you wouldn't know! They are "off grid" with septic, full solar power and rainwater tanks. They have wood heating and split-system aircon. Because it's all brand new, it's a darn sight nicer than my house!!!
    That sounds amazing! Like just want we would want. Did they get approval for it? Can I ask if you know how much it cost them roughly?? Thanks

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by lolly137 View Post
    If you look online, they are very popular in America where they are called "Barndominiums". There are some really sweet design ideas out there, to make the shed a cozy home

I have just found this blog of a couple who built one in 2011. You might find it helpful
    http://hobohome.com/news/?p=731
    http://hobohome.com/motorhome_travel...120Oct2015.php
    This is awesome!

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Shed Living

Duplicate

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 5/2/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 31/10/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 24/10/14Busiest Member of the Week
    We lived in a double garage for 8 years while we were building our house.

We have a bin service etc. No different to any house.
    We are one acre on outskirts of our town.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Sorry @hazzyj, I have no idea on cost. She's a very private person with money etc so I wouldn't even ask. The solar set-up was very exxy though, I think. I'm not sure about permission from council, they live in a different council area to us. I did ring our council yesterday out of curiosity on what the rules are here and was told a flat no. It's not allowed :-O

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Ruby_Tuesday15 View Post
    Sorry @hazzyj, I have no idea on cost. She's a very private person with money etc so I wouldn't even ask. The solar set-up was very exxy though, I think. I'm not sure about permission from council, they live in a different council area to us. I did ring our council yesterday out of curiosity on what the rules are here and was told a flat no. It's not allowed :-O
    Ahh, ok no probs.

Yeah I'm gathering it would be a flat no in most places to just live in the shed but I wonder if it was a class 1 dwelling (certified by builder etc. etc.)

Hopefully I'll hear back from the council soon and see!