+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Shed Living

Has anyone bout acreage and lived in either just a regular shed or a class 1 liveable shed?!?!

Would love to hear experiences ...

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    @LoveLivesHere might be able to help.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to amyd For This Useful Post:

hazzyj  (11-05-2016),preggasaurus  (11-05-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Is it a long term plan or temporary? We live on average and although we haven't done it, lots of people around us have, including mum and dad who did for about a year while building there house. There shed was BASIC and they were glad to move out. My neighbour has lived in her she'd off and on for 8 ish years (when not with her DH who works remote). Her shed is amazing in comparison, slate floor, insulation, aircon and fireplace.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to shani2 For This Useful Post:

hazzyj  (11-05-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by shani2 View Post
    Is it a long term plan or temporary? We live on average and although we haven't done it, lots of people around us have, including mum and dad who did for about a year while building there house. There shed was BASIC and they were glad to move out. My neighbour has lived in her she'd off and on for 8 ish years (when not with her DH who works remote). Her shed is amazing in comparison, slate floor, insulation, aircon and fireplace.
    I think it would either be a long term thing (say 5 years until we could build our dream home) or a temporary thing (a year while we build) not sure yet...all depends on finances. Did your parents have permission or was it a sort of hush hush thing? I guess it depends on the council.
    If it was long term it would be great to have something like your neighbor's shed...again, did she have it all approved as a dwelling?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by hazzyj View Post
    I think it would either be a long term thing (say 5 years until we could build our dream home) or a temporary thing (a year while we build) not sure yet...all depends on finances. Did your parents have permission or was it a sort of hush hush thing? I guess it depends on the council.
    If it was long term it would be great to have something like your neighbor's shed...again, did she have it all approved as a dwelling?
    Neither are fully approved dwellings, although neighbours could be if they went through council. In our council you can stay for weekends no problems but they aren't technically meant to be permanent dwellings. On our street there is probably half a dozen people who are doing it tho (or have just finished building the house after doing it). You don't get rubbish bins if you don't have a permanent dwelling tho, but people get around that, either knowing neighbours, local bins (big no no) or taking rubbish to work etc.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to shani2 For This Useful Post:

hazzyj  (11-05-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Biggest thing mum and dad found was heat. Cold a little but easier to rug up. In summer they were regularly getting temps above 45 inside in the summer. All there candles melted! It did cool down quickly when the sun went down

10. The Following User Says Thank You to shani2 For This Useful Post:

hazzyj  (11-05-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Following, as this is what we are planning on doing once we buy a property (100+ acres) in the bush.

Our plan is to get an American Barn and convert it into a 5 bed open plan home

12. The Following User Says Thank You to lolly137 For This Useful Post:

hazzyj  (11-05-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    We will most likely do this. The block we are looking at has a half-finished shed on it. The hubster would finish it off and then we would deck it out as a "shouse" (shed-house as my sister calls it, they are living in their shed now, while they decide whether they want to build a house and stay, or sell their block). I don't know what the rules are here, but we would be super unlucky to be caught where we are, no neighbours and well away from a main road.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Ruby_Tuesday15 For This Useful Post:

hazzyj  (11-05-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Oh how cool to see a few people thinking of doing it too!
    For us it's a way to get onto the block we want as the cost of a house on top of the block is too much.

I didn't think about the bin situation! Not really an option with pooey nappies 😂

I've emailed the council to see what our options are and will go from there.

Haha I have seen them referred to as as shouse ... I bet some of them are premium!!

100 acres ... Wow we would only be looking at 3 and therefore noticeable but I think a lot of people in the area do it

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Ruby_Tuesday15 View Post
    We will most likely do this. The block we are looking at has a half-finished shed on it. The hubster would finish it off and then we would deck it out as a "shouse" (shed-house as my sister calls it, they are living in their shed now, while they decide whether they want to build a house and stay, or sell their block). I don't know what the rules are here, but we would be super unlucky to be caught where we are, no neighbours and well away from a main road.
    Is your sister's shouse insulated etc?