+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Anyone else a pauper?

Who will probably never own their own home?

What's your story?

DH and I will have spent almost our entire 20s being students*, paying central Sydney rent. And throw in an unplanned pregnancy and two interstate moves leaves us with minimal savings at 30 and little hope of ever buying a house.

Reading the threads about home ownership is somewhat depressing. Well done to all of those who do of course, it just makes me regret my life choices somewhat :-p

Those of you who haven't or currently can't buy your own home, do you think that'll ever change?

*Science undergrads, so huge contact hours and workload leaving little time for paid work, I know lots of other people managed to save while at uni. And postgrad studies with now few career prospects, because science has rapidly declined in Australia.

Thanks
    Reviews
    30 is still so young! You could save slowly over the next 5 years or so, even just starting small.

Thanks
    Reviews
    We're part of the long term renters crowd. We married relatively young when I was a full time student and dh a lowly paid apprentice. Since then I've done two post grad degrees and Dh went to uni and retrained. We've moved states 3 times following careers. There's only been 18 months when we were both in full time work because of either study, maternity leave, or now having a toddler. I think at this rate we'll have to hope to inherit a house. I know people say, well you chose your education over saving and they're right. But as a researcher I couldn't do my job without all of my degrees and dh would be miserable if he hadn't retrained.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I own (well the bank does) a home and I still feel that I'm a pauper. We have a big mortgage relative to friends as we only bought 4 years ago. I feel like everyone can afford to reno - we've done nothing to our house. It's all relative and its human nature to want more. I try and be grateful it's the best I can do. I'm excited that we're getting a bed. We've been together 7 years and still sleep in the bed I bought with my ex 12 years ago! Celebrating the small stuff!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    We've lived in Sydney for just over a year and it's only a temporary move as we couldn't afford to live here permanently and have the lifestyle we can have back in the uk. We bought a house in the uk about 3 years ago but now in Sydney over 50% of dh salary goes into rent leaving very little opportunity to save any money so we would never be able to buy here. If we were permanent residents and eligible for child rebates it might be worth me going back to work but right now with 2 babies it's too expensive to put them in daycare so I can work. Something I miss terribly. So soon we will be moving back to the uk to "carry on" our sensible lives having come to Australia for a "break".

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Clementine Grace View Post
    30 is still so young! You could save slowly over the next 5 years or so, even just starting small.
    Aw thank you for the encouragement! We are still saving everything we can, we're possibly just very pessimistic and have therefore given up :P
    It does feel a bit like we threw away a decade of earning potential to pursue pointless degrees :-/ We do still quietly hope that isn't true though!

Thanks
    Reviews
    We're in Melbourne and could not afford to live where we do had DH not gotten a small inheritance and bought into the market several years ago.

Absolutely no way. I have no idea how people do it. And we earn a good combined salary.

Thanks
    Reviews
    We are clearing out debts that we got when we were both relatively high income earners. Life and things happened and we ended up at a point where we lived on bare meals and we skipped meals so our kids could eat. We are now doing quite well with money again despite being single income so we are just working on clearing up those old debts. We plan to buy eventually, but for now we live on my hubby's work complex and pay $40p/w rent so it seems stupid to buy any time soon, as when we buy it will be somewhere else. Although we are buying a place here soon hopefully with super. I feel like we will never own, but I look at my parents who scrimped and scavenged and ended up with a 110% loan for their first house but 10 years later they own 3. One of which had massive growth in the first year of owning it. They were 40yo when they got their first one.
    Hubby and I are 29&28. So I figure we have a while to get there.
    We have no desire to live in the city, we live in a remote outback town currently where houses are $35,000. The places we are looking to move are far below the state median price. But we do want to buy a property to start a small farm. We will look at doing it after about 5 years when I go back to work.

Thanks
    Reviews
    We brought our house at 24 years old. We got gifted some money from a relative so we used it for a house deposit. Interest rates were sky high back then and we really couldn't afford repayments on our wages (me just out of uni too) I fell pregnant soon after too which made it even harder. We were able to hold on for 6 years barely scraping through, applied for hardship etc. Finally we had to sell up and move interstate. We made a small profit but we are renting now and have had two more kids since so all of that has gone. So to answer your question yes we are paupers and struggle every week! I have no idea when or if we will ever buy again.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by WinterJade View Post
    It's all relative and its human nature to want more. I try and be grateful it's the best I can do.
    Absolutely! We actually feel like we live in relative luxury right now, we have everything we need and want - it's just the big things that seem off limits to us.

Quote Originally Posted by nh2489 View Post
    We've lived in Sydney for just over a year and it's only a temporary move as we couldn't afford to live here permanently and have the lifestyle we can have back in the uk. We bought a house in the uk about 3 years ago but now in Sydney over 50% of dh salary goes into rent leaving very little opportunity to save any money so we would never be able to buy here. If we were permanent residents and eligible for child rebates it might be worth me going back to work but right now with 2 babies it's too expensive to put them in daycare so I can work. Something I miss terribly. So soon we will be moving back to the uk to "carry on" our sensible lives having come to Australia for a "break".
    The daycare cost vs wage thing sucks It seems so illogical that anyone would be worse off by working!

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to deku For This Useful Post:

KitiK  (15-05-2016),nh2489  (11-05-2016)