3 year old with development delay | Bub Hub
+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default 3 year old with development delay

We've started Gymbaroo on advice from a paediatrician. DD just turned 3 but is in the 2.5-3 yo group because the next group is 3-4yo and they do much more sitting and listening which she isn't ready for.
    She seems to do ok with the physical activities but struggles to follow instructions. She watches other kids and they all seem to follow the teacher where as DD just watches or waits for me to help her.
    I don't know if she doesn't get the concept that there is a teacher giving instructions?? Any ideas on how to improve her listening/following skills?
    She also won't sit with the kids for some activities, instead sitting next to me only. I want to encourage her but not sure how to get through. Any ideas appreciated. TIA

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default 3 year old with development delay

Has she had a speech pathology assessment? I would definitely get one done in your position as it will help clarify what both her receptive (understanding) and expressive language skills are.

Eta. Lots of kids are hands on/need visual clues so maybe get the teacher to show her what to do (or you show her) rather than lots of verbal instructions?
    Last edited by sajimum; 10-05-2016 at 14:41.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by sajimum View Post
    Has she had a speech pathology assessment? I would definitely get one done in your position as it will help clarify what both her receptive (understanding) and expressive language skills are.

Eta. Lots of kids are hands on/need visual clues so maybe get the teacher to show her what to do (or you show her) rather than lots of verbal instructions?
    Yes she attends regular speech therapy and does have problems with complex instructions. However everything is demonstrated at gymbaroo and usually simple like "stand on one foot", "hands in the air" etc. She just seems to look around and not pay attention to the teacher.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Behavioural optometrist check? I'm assuming as you are seeing a paed you would have checked the visual system.