+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Anjalee View Post
    Croup is the worst! My youngest struggles with it a lot. Redipred will work in 2-3 days, but I always find after day 1 she still has the bark.
    Maybe try a cool air purifier too? I used to have a vicks steam one and it didn't do anything. Whereas now I have a nature direct air purifier and that makes a difference.
    Oh yes!! We have an Aroma Bloom ultrasonic vapouriser (cool air) and it works wonders. I just have eucalyptus oil in it and have it set to the lowest setting so it just has a tinge of it in the air at all times.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Ahalfdozen For This Useful Post:

adelaideannie  (10-05-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Maybe i am doing the wrong this with an oil heater in her room?? I might try a vaporiser.

Thanks
    Reviews
    does nurofen help?

Thanks
    Reviews
    My dd and ds get croup every so often, I know it's coming when dd tells me she has a sore throat a couple of hours prior.
    They actually no longer recommend the use of steam for treating it, just pain relief and if it gets bad off to dr/hospital for redipred.
    We had an abualance rode with Ds about a month ago when he woke with it around midnight. :/

Thanks
    Reviews
    my first born got croup alot in the first few years of life,
    it always settled down within the three doses of redipred

I was told 'croup' itself is not contageous (croup is the cough) but the virus that causes it often is (and unless its ongoing chances are its a virus), any for of cold virus can trigger the swelling that leads to the croup cough,

my ds1 almost always improved on the trip there but got worse once back inside for a while (were rural, it takes a bit to get a dr to arrive) except once when we wound up on ventolin to ease the stridor,

always came on in the middle of the night, first time I put him to bed (he was 11 months old) and he woke at 8.30 and I freaked out, second time a month later I was like oh ... okay, off we go for redipred

After that it was a calm trip in the car to the hospital
    I know they say not to but the vapouriser almost always helped my ds when he was coughy

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    My DS has had loads of croup. We counted 15 times in his first 18mo of life, but I now know that it wasn't always croup (he had a small defect in his airway that caused a similar cough sound). The times that it was croup and not the defect, redipred/predmix would work after 2 doses (although he has had up to 4 doses for particularly bad episodes). It doesn't get rid of the cough but the barking and/or strider should settle.

I agree with a PP, I don't think croup itself is contagious, it's the virus that precedes it that is contagious. DSs croup would often come at the end of a cold or together with bronchiolitis. It's caused by inflammation in the airway.

There's not a lot you can do besides keeping them calm and getting the steroids into them. We have a repeat script for it and always have some on hand given DSs susceptibility to croup.