+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default How many feeds - 15 months old

Hi guys
    DD2 is 15 months and still on five feeds during the day, excluding any overnight. She eats breakfast and dinner most days, lunch is a struggle, but she snacks a lot. She's too busy to sit still, LOL! She has access to a drink bottle of water too.
    I realise at this age she doesn't *need* breast milk, but I get so anxious about the whole feeding thing and whether she's getting enough etc; at her 12 month check the MCHN nurse asked if she was having 1-2 breastfeeds a day, so I guess that should have answered my concerns.
    DD1 fed till 17 months, but I don't recall when she dropped to the one feed.
    I guess my concern is that she is now going from around 7am through to 1:30/2:00pm without breast milk, but again, has access to water.
    Does this all sound OK? I'm not sure why I'm so anxious about it all! TIA

Thanks
    Reviews

Default How many feeds - 15 months old

When DD2 self weaned at 16.5 months she would have 5+ feeds a day if I was with her. If I wasn't home she wouldn't even ask for milk.

She also wasn't a huge eater when still bfing, but a year later and she eats really well. She still prefers to graze through the day, and dinner can be a struggle but I figure she'll eat if she's hungry.

It's probably taken her the year to really get into food, unlike her sister who weaned at 10 months, had no interest in milk/formula but ate really well and always loved water.

As long as you are offering water and food in that time, I'm sure she's fine.

Thanks
    Reviews
    At 15 months she will be absolutely fine going that long. Take her lead. She could easily have a feed in the morning and then not again until bedtime at night and that's fine. I think that's roughly when my DS1&2 dropped to 2 feeds then soon after dropped down to just one before bed.

Honestly she would be fine without any BF at this age and if she self weaned wouldn't need feeds replacing (unless weight gain was a BIG issue) so just do what feels best

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thank you both so much. I just don't understand why I'm so anxious about it. She appears perfectly healthy and happy and gaining weight (unless I've suddenly become very weak! ) I have nearly seven years between my girls, so it's basically just like starting all over again with everything!

Thanks
    Reviews
    So, we're down to three feeds during the day and maybe one overnight (she rarely sleeps through), but my right b00b got so full and hard and sore by late afternoon yesterday! I'm hoping my body down regulates and gets used to not having that afternoon feed.

Thanks
    Reviews
    No harm in hand expressing the right if it's sore again from being too full. Just take the edge off it but not increase/encourage supply.

You are doing such a good job and being so gentle. Good luck!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by moto View Post
    No harm in hand expressing the right if it's sore again from being too full. Just take the edge off it but not increase/encourage supply.

You are doing such a good job and being so gentle. Good luck!
    Aww, thank you Moto. She doesn't seem to miss the feeds, so it is relatively easy. I think she is old enough to not need them, but young enough that she doesn't realise she isn't getting them, if that makes sense. I may be going back to work in three months, so I need to at least have her down to and night, if not night prior to this.

Thanks
    Reviews
    My dd1 at that age fed around 5 times a day when I was at home, but on work days she didn't miss it at all, going until 3pm without a feed. Weirdly my boobs adjusted on work days after a couple of weeks.

As pp said express for comfort. You may find she'll still go through stages of wanting more feeds if sick or upset which is super handy.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Little Miss Sunshine For This Useful Post:

Emmi  (19-05-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    My Dd also 15 months, is demand fed. If we are busy and out and about she can go without if we are at home she'll usally feed more. I don't bother counting how many feeds I just feed. I think one of the reasons you could be feeling so anxious is because the child health nurse has installed her values and opinions upon you. You were doing fantastic until you saw her and it sounds like you baby is thriving.

I went to the child health nurse the other day, first time since she was six weeks and came away feeling very inadequate. I had to stop myself thinking this way because I know I am a good mother and just because I am doing things differently to how the nurse implied I should do them doesn't mean that my way is wrong. This is my forth baby and I have parented the same way for all of them. My older children (oldest is 16) have all stopped breastfeeding, all sleep threw the night, eat solids, go to the toilet ect. By themselves. Oh and they also no longer co sleep and don't want to cosleep. they are also very independent, well mannered children. Sorry for the rant but I walked away from seeing the nurse questioning things too. (Moment of weakness).

Don't stress too much about going back to work and dropping feeds your baby will survive with out you. Sometimes they will feed more when you get back together or threw the night, sometimes they won't. The only time I have cut down feeds is if I was trying to wean. If you haven't already checked it out go to the Australia Breastfeeding Associations web site. They give the best advice regarding breastfeeding. As someone posted earlier you may need to express for comfort and when you go back to work don't forget the Brestpads. I have successfully worked and breast fed a few times now so it is very doable. Good luck and remember don't stress, have faith in your ability to parent you are doing a great job.
    Last edited by Skye Baby; 21-05-2016 at 00:03.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks. It the nurse who made me anxious or made me question things. I've been anxious with DD2 right from when I found out I was pregnant. I've got six years between my DD's and I've forgotten everything, so it's been like starting all over again. I also had a few minor worries in the last 5+ weeks of my pregnancy with her. I also have an auto immune disease (well managed though), that I hadn't been diagnosed with the first one.