+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Question Training

so i have decided to tackle the Overland track in Tassie this september. It is a 65km walk which will be done over 6 days. I will be required to carry all sleeping items (tent, sleeping mat and bag) and all foods. I can refill water along the way.
    I am currently sitting at 106kg and need to lose a bit of weight and start training for the walk. I was wondering if there was anyone here that might know the best way to achieve this goal.
    thanks

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    My neighbour did Kokoda and used to walk with a back pack full of phone books - it's a bit hard to find them these days.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I am thinking i might tackle Mt arapalies with some stuff in a pack.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Firstly - good on you for signing up for a challenge!

We did Kokoda a few years ago. We were in OK shape although for pre training we:

- Watched our diet - basically just ate whole foods (nothing from packets), lots of veggies
    - Drank lots of water (3L per day) as throughout the trek we were drinking 5L+ per day
    - Bootcamp 2 x per week for 1hr
    - Walked A LOT - every day 1hr at least around a hilly neighbourhood
    - Weekends we did a bigger walk of around 3hrs up Mt Cootha in Brisbane

When we walked, we walked in the boots that we trekked in - this was very important to wear the boots in. We also did Everest Base Camp and followed a similar routine to prepare.

Doing the walk with others you will be motivated and everyone pushes each other along, it will be a wonderful empowering experience!

5. The Following User Says Thank You to michellead For This Useful Post:

Carpe diem 2013  (10-05-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    [QUOTE=michellead;8476456]Firstly - good on you for signing up for a challenge!

We did Kokoda a few years ago. We were in OK shape although for pre training we:

- Watched our diet - basically just ate whole foods (nothing from packets), lots of veggies
    - Drank lots of water (3L per day) as throughout the trek we were drinking 5L+ per day
    - Bootcamp 2 x per week for 1hr
    - Walked A LOT - every day 1hr at least around a hilly neighbourhood
    - Weekends we did a bigger walk of around 3hrs up Mt Cootha in Brisbane

When we walked, we walked in the boots that we trekked in - this was very important to wear the boots in. We also did Everest Base Camp and followed a similar routine to prepare.

Doing the walk with others you will be motivated and everyone pushes each other along, it will be a wonderful empowering experience![/QUOTE
    thanks for your info. can i ask what sort of boots your worn?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Sure. I wore a pair like this - http://www.wildearth.com.au/buy/scarpa-terra-gore-tex-waterproof-leather-hiking-bo/SCA00043
    They need A LOT of wearing in. Not cheap but they lasted 8 years and many hikes (including Kokoda, Everest Base Camp and Kilimanjaro).
    Wore them with a cotton sock (liner) and a wool sock over the top. I changed the liner every day and got 2-3 days out of the wool socks depending on if my boots got wet.
    We took crocs to wear at night around the camp.

Thanks
    Reviews
    So the foot wear has been purchased and i did my first hike a few weekends ago. 9kms with a 10KG pack. I felt pretty good.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to lisaandshaun For This Useful Post:

michellead  (21-06-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Wow - I would love to do the overland track! I'll be following your journey with interest!

Thanks
    Reviews
    I am really doubting myself. I am currently sitting at 105kgs and need to loose as much as possible. Its a little scary.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Just keep going! I wouldn't focus on losing weight just cut out all junk food (as my Mum used to say don't eat junk food, don't think junk thoughts!) doing lots of walking for the training and build up your endurance. The thrill of being there and being with others will push you along. You still have a 3 months? You can do it, really!