+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Struggling working part time

Hi everyone,

I am just after a place to vent and maybe some advice.

I have an 11 month old and a three year old and a month ago I went back to work part time. I am a teacher and I am working a five day fortnight. This is my dream job, I have my own class and share the responsibility of running my service. I really wanted to stay home longer with my second son but I just felt that I needed to get back into work for me. Also, we have some debts and we really need to clear them. I was excited to go back to work but a month in I feel like I am drowning. My house is a bomb, I can't keep on top of the housework side. I feel like I never get anything completed at work because I am rushing around to get my boys. I feel like all I do is rush around and I am so exhausted at the end of the day. My husband helps when he can but he has a very demanding job and he isn't home a lot at night and can't get away to help in the afternoons.

I really want to work for the company I am with and I have done lots of contracts with them in previous years but this is a permanent job. I feel like I am just doing a half a55ed job all round and I'm not sure if I should quit and try again when the boys are older.

Does anyone have any advice? Will it get easier as I get into a better routine?

Thanks for reading ☺️

Thanks
    Reviews
    Let me first say being a working mum is hard. It always will be - that mummy guilt really does kick in!!!
    I have always had the same feelings as you - it's either family or work that seems to be missing my best potential however you have only just started so you still are trying to work out your new routine. I'm not a teacher so can't help on that side
    But for housework. I have always had a schedule which I think helps so much!! Every night after work I did one job plus the standard cleaning kitchen. It went kind of like this
    Monday - clean kitchen and dining area - extra was clean tidy the lounge room
    Tuesday- clean kitchen and dining area - extra was folding clothes
    Wednesday clean kitchen dining area - extra do a load of washing
    Thursday extra was the bathrooms

And went on from there - I work full time so on Saturday morning before sports I did a big clean of the house - vacuuming mopping and all areas.
    Sunday was general weekend tidy up and was also my sleep in day so hubby got up to kids!!
    Hope this helps, sometimes though you have to lower your standards a bit on housework, yes the floors might be not as clean for a night or two but you also need your down time

Thanks
    Reviews
    It gets easier just stick with it!

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Wise Enough For This Useful Post:

Little Miss Sunshine  (10-05-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    It's hard isn't it! I went back to work 3 days a week after my first and I just tried to get as much done on my home days as possible. We also ended up getting a fortnightly cleaner which helped - it meant that the house got a good clean every couple of weeks and we just maintained as best we could in between. Little things like cleaning the toilet/basin while the kids are playing in the bath, doing a 5 minute tidy-up once the kids are in bed each night, and folding as soon as things are dry (often in front of the TV with a glass of wine!).

I now have 2 kids (4.5 and almost 2) and start a new job next week. I haven't worked since #2 came along and this job is 4 days per week with a commute of over an hour each way. We're also moving into a bigger house. So I have no idea how I'm going to juggle it all!! Especially since my 22mo still wakes frequently - he was up from 1-3am last night. I'm going to be a zombie!

Thanks
    Reviews
    It will get easier! It does take time to find your groove it can feel like a marathon at times.

I found what helped me, especially with long days was having to be painfully organised. I have a paper day planner and I stuck to it religiously and it made eveything calmer. I do most of the stuff on the home front so I needed it to run smoothly.

The basics that can be annoying to do but really helped were:

- batch cook. Once a fortnight cook snacks, sauces, curries, any meals you can freeze that can be pulled out for lunches and dinners
    - slow cooker can be a saviour
    - cleaning schedule. as much as I hated this, now it's a life saver. I do stuff like clean for 20 mins every morning, hang out washing, dishwasher, spray bathroom and kitchen, everything in small bursts so then it never builds up and i have that awful bomb has hit it feeling (which still does happen sometimes!)
    - lay the clothes, lunches night before and if you can muster it, do 20 mins of picking up crap, collecting washing to put on a timer for next morning etc. quick sweep or dyson.

I also try not to do any chores on weekends unless it's extra washing like sheets and towels or stuff like the garden/car etc. as the weeks can be hectic and I like it to be family time. I'm a geek but I literally schedule all my cleaning and home stuff in my diary for during the week and tick it off, I found fly lady has good home routines.

If you can too, try and get your hubby to agree to one night a week, even if it's just for a few hours where you get a couple of hours downtime to have a glass of wine alone and regroup otherwise you can feel like you're on a never ending hamster wheel!

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Clementine Grace For This Useful Post:

Cue  (10-05-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    If you can too, get a cleaner. Even just once a fortnight, it's so lovely to come home and have your house all clean.