+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Can I resign from my job & receive benefits

I'm due to have a baby in December this year, after my paid parental leave if I decide to not go back to work would I be entitled to receive Centrelink benefits like parenting payment?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts

Default Can I resign from my job & receive benefits

Yes, you should qualify although I wouldn't rely on that income alone, you'll hardly have enough to buy essentials.

If you're partnered it will depend on what your partner earns as to how much you'll get.

3. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to BigRedV For This Useful Post:

Nemmi1987  (10-05-2016),Rose&Aurelia&Hannah  (09-05-2016),tetlc  (09-05-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I didn't go back to work after dd. We received family tax a and b. Depending on you and your partners income for that financial year will determine whether or not you you will receive any parenting payments. There is an income calculator on the family assistance website, this should give you some idea of what you will receive.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Happymum2 For This Useful Post:

tetlc  (09-05-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I wouldn't be resigning in this and age of unemployment. If your legitimately single you'll get PPS, tax A & B but when your child reaches 6 you'll have to look for work again and or work 30 hours a fortnight, if you don't your payments will be cut. But your better off working anyways as Centrelink only reduce your payment by .50c in the dollar when do work. I was a alone for years and on PPS, tax A & B and it was always better to work then not work financially. Working a full day is better then a half day with Childcare fee's. When your child turns 8 (a long way for you still) you'll be switched to Newstart). It's a lot to think about now as this is all the future. But I feel it's better to be employed and go on maternity leave and have a job to go back to then not have one at all and try and find a new job with a small child.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to babybeeno1 For This Useful Post:

Nemmi1987  (10-05-2016),Rose&Aurelia&Hannah  (10-05-2016)