+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Marigolds View Post
    I don't understand it because to me, if you choose not to have kids it's to enjoy living child free, which I would imagine for most people would mean travel and holidays, a full nights sleep and freedom.
    Why tie yourself to a dog that means you don't go on holidays, no travel, broken sleep and fussing for 14 years? Id rather have had the experience of having kids!

I really don't get missing out on holidays for an animal. We take our dog camping with us as much as possible, but I'm certainly not going to miss out of other holidays for it.

Addit. We go away as an extended family once a year (dogs welcome). They spend more time fussing over, get up earlier than I do with my kids (the dog gets up at 4:30 to be walked), watch every mouthful it eats, follow it around constantly when its outside (to check for snakes and ticks) it's honestly more intensive than my children!
    I guess because everyone is just different? Everyone has a different affinity for their pets so it's what they choose to do.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Clementine Grace For This Useful Post:

Nemmi1987  (10-05-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I normally understand it and I get it, my dog was my best friend before he passed.

But I did get super frustrated when a lady at work compared her puppy to my toddler. Waking up at 5am to let your dog pee isn't the same kind of sleep deprivation that comes from a child who has woken 5+ times every night for 2 years

Thanks
    Reviews
    I can understand the comparisons making people cross - but for the most part these are people who don't know what raising a kid is like so may not realise they are being a little ridiculous.

As for fur-babies - I am never going to have one. I may have a dog or cat but it will be an animal. It will still be well treated and respected but the world don't revolve around it. If other people choose to do that then it's their choice and I won't judge unless the obsession is causing them to neglect the rest of the world.

Many of you know I'm a vet and I have in the past send owners to referral surgeons hundreds of kilometres away for multi-thousand dollar surgery. My mil once said to be that it was ridiculous, they shouldn't spend that animal on 'just a dog'. My response: it is their money, as long as they pay the bill I don't give a **** about them choosing that option.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to amyd For This Useful Post:

Sonja  (10-05-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    The idea that animals are as difficult as children is a bit silly imo Ive never been a huge animal person. But I know a few couples who have put all of their love and dreams into their dogs bc they can't have babies.

When I was quite young I worked with an older woman who had a hand sewn designer wardrobe for her dog. Bought it a bed, as in literally a bed. Had her groomed and blow dried about twice a week. I was about 18 or 19 at the time and dumb lol I asked her one day why she was so weird with her dog. That was when she told me her and her husband had tried to get pg, including through IVF for a decade. He had left her to try to have a family with someone else. Needless to say I felt like a complete jerk

I also know a few Empty Nesters who took their youngest moving out very hard so got a dog. And put all of their maternal love into it bc now their kids were gone they felt empty.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by delirium View Post
    The idea that animals are as difficult as children is a bit silly imo Ive never been a huge animal person. But I know a few couples who have put all of their love and dreams into their dogs bc they can't have babies.

When I was quite young I worked with an older woman who had a hand sewn designer wardrobe for her dog. Bought it a bed, as in literally a bed. Had her groomed and blow dried about twice a week. I was about 18 or 19 at the time and dumb lol I asked her one day why she was so weird with her dog. That was when she told me her and her husband had tried to get pg, including through IVF for a decade. He had left her to try to have a family with someone else. Needless to say I felt like a complete jerk

I also know a few Empty Nesters who took their youngest moving out very hard so got a dog. And put all of their maternal love into it bc now their kids were gone they felt empty.
    Just on your last paragraph there are a lot of people that a pet literally gives them a reason to get up in the morning. These are people that for whatever reason don't have anything else to love or devote themselves to. My dad to some degree revolves his world around his dog. He has to be home to walk it, won't go on holidays without a lot of organising and in general loves him (he won't admit that though). I have seen people where I genuinely worry about what would happen to them when they lose their pet.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to amyd For This Useful Post:

Nemmi1987  (10-05-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by amyd View Post
    I can understand the comparisons making people cross - but for the most part these are people who don't know what raising a kid is like so may not realise they are being a little ridiculous.

As for fur-babies - I am never going to have one. I may have a dog or cat but it will be an animal. It will still be well treated and respected but the world don't revolve around it. If other people choose to do that then it's their choice and I won't judge unless the obsession is causing them to neglect the rest of the world.

Many of you know I'm a vet and I have in the past send owners to referral surgeons hundreds of kilometres away for multi-thousand dollar surgery. My mil once said to be that it was ridiculous, they shouldn't spend that animal on 'just a dog'. My response: it is their money, as long as they pay the bill I don't give a **** about them choosing that option.
    On this we had a dog years ago who was my world. She had breast cancer and we started a process for her treatment that we thought would cost us about $2-3k. In the end we spent close to $10k on her treatments. I felt ill at the time (we had just learned our 2nd child may need hip surgery which was going to delay my return from maternity leave and therefore pay) but once we started the treatment it just snowballed.

In the end she made a full recovery and lived another 4 years. She was like a puppy after that - it was like she was so grateful we made her well.

We now have pet insurance for all our animals.

For DH and I we have to be able to look our kids in the eyes and know we did what we could to help our pets. I actually get annoyed when people with pets don't have insurance because they'd just have them put down. That really upsets me.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Sonja For This Useful Post:

HillDweller  (10-05-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm the OP.

Just for the record and because this thread has become a bit of a debate - I'm not opposed to pets and it was never my intention to make it sound like i was.

This is our dog Max who likes to lay with my son's leg over him for some reason. He wiggles himself into that position on the lounge.

I have nothing against pets or pet owners because i am one. We've had our dog for 12 years since he was a puppy.
    Attached Images

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Candiceo For This Useful Post:

BettyW  (10-05-2016),Clementine Grace  (10-05-2016),Little Miss Sunshine  (10-05-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Sonja View Post
    On this we had a dog years ago who was my world. She had breast cancer and we started a process for her treatment that we thought would cost us about $2-3k. In the end we spent close to $10k on her treatments. I felt ill at the time (we had just learned our 2nd child may need hip surgery which was going to delay my return from maternity leave and therefore pay) but once we started the treatment it just snowballed.

In the end she made a full recovery and lived another 4 years. She was like a puppy after that - it was like she was so grateful we made her well.

We now have pet insurance for all our animals.

For DH and I we have to be able to look our kids in the eyes and know we did what we could to help our pets. I actually get annoyed when people with pets don't have insurance because they'd just have them put down. That really upsets me.
    Just goes to show we all value our pets differently.

Our dog was thin as a rail and so scared of so many things from being abused but the most wonderful, loving dog. After we'd had him a few months, just as he was starting to fatten up and trust us and let his guard down he went for a play date with another dog and bolted out their gate and ran straight under a car and broke his leg in 5 places. It was a big surgery, $6 or $7k and we had go take weeks of work each to look after him as he had an external metal bolt till it healed. Most people would say we were crazy and we should have just put him down but we couldn't do it. He was the most wonderful patient even though it was painful treatment, made a full recovery and I know he's grateful to us that we'd saved him. He's one of the kindest souls I've ever known.

Plenty of people would say it's crazy to spend that much on a dog, and one we'd only had a few months, we could have used it for a holiday etc but we all value our animals differently so i don't really think it's for anyone else to judge how much people invest in them.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Clementine Grace For This Useful Post:

Angels4me  (10-05-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Candiceo View Post
    I'm the OP.

Just for the record and because this thread has become a bit of a debate - I'm not opposed to pets and it was never my intention to make it sound like i was.

This is our dog Max who likes to lay with my son's leg over him for some reason. He wiggles himself into that position on the lounge.

I have nothing against pets or pet owners because i am one. We've had our dog for 12 years since he was a puppy.
    I didn't take that from your op at all (that you don't like animals). My comments were aimed more at subsequent posts that moved away from people comparing pets to kids.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Marigolds View Post
    I don't understand it because to me, if you choose not to have kids it's to enjoy living child free, which I would imagine for most people would mean travel and holidays, a full nights sleep and freedom.
    Why tie yourself to a dog that means you don't go on holidays, no travel, broken sleep and fussing for 14 years? Id rather have had the experience of having kids!

I really don't get missing out on holidays for an animal. We take our dog camping with us as much as possible, but I'm certainly not going to miss out of other holidays for it.

Addit. We go away as an extended family once a year (dogs welcome). They spend more time fussing over, get up earlier than I do with my kids (the dog gets up at 4:30 to be walked), watch every mouthful it eats, follow it around constantly when its outside (to check for snakes and ticks) it's honestly more intensive than my children!
    Up until I met my now DH I had chosen not to have kids. It was certainly not because I wanted some life that I couldn't have with kids, it was because I literally had no desire to have a human child in my house.

We have 2 dogs, 5 chickens, 7 ducks and until recently, a cat. We leave outings before we want to sometimes, because the dogs need to be fed or the ducks put away for the night. We can't stay overnight anywhere or go on holidays without arranging someone in advance to come and stay at our house to take care of the animals. It would be easier for us to go on holidays if we had a kid and no animals. We won't put our dogs in kennels, our 13 year old girl has many health problems we tend to constantly. There's medications and sometimes getting up in the night to take her to the toilet, or sit with her to keep her calm during an ear infection. Our boy has anxiety issues we put a great deal of time into helping him with. And since our dogs don't get along m, we have a full management system in place so they aren't put in a position where they might fight.

By your standards in sure you think we're crazy, but to me that's just being a good pet owner. When I get animals I don't get them expecting they can live in my house on the proviso they don't inconvenience me. I chose to bring them into my home, I'll do absolutely everything to give them a fantastic life.

I know many people who have chosen not to have kids and only one couple chose it for the reasons you assumed everyone does. The rest of them just love animals more than they do children, so devoted their lives to them instead.

17. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to HillDweller For This Useful Post:

Angels4me  (10-05-2016),Jast  (10-05-2016),Nemmi1987  (10-05-2016)