+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I *think* I understand where the OP is coming from, and to an extent I do agree that the comparison can be irksome.

I'll never forget a member on here lost a child shortly after birth and received the comment from someone IRL "I know how you feel, my dog died last week". In this context, I think it's absolutely not okay to consider a human baby and a pet comparable.

I recently posted a thread because I found it a bit irritating that my mother refers to her Labradors as "the kids", as my mother obviously has her own children! I received mixed responses, but a number of posters did agree that it didn't sit well with them.

There are people who have 'fur babies' because they can't have children of their own. I'm very sympathetic to this. No way should anyone try and challenge their love for their pets.

In my opinion, the responsibility of raising a human child is not really comparable to having a pet. I do not however question the genuine love that people have for their pets can be as strong as the love a person experiences for their own human offspring. But it is a different love. We know when we invite a pet into our hearts that we will outlive them, and when they pass on we can welcome another pet into our home to replace them. A child is expected to be part of you for the rest of your natural life and is in no way, shape or form replaceable.

To summarise, in some contexts I do find it annoying because I feel a human life holds greater value and responsibility than the life of a pet.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mod-Degrassi For This Useful Post:

Candiceo  (10-05-2016),LoveLivesHere  (10-05-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by amiracle4me View Post
    What about it annoys you?
    Well i guess if i really get down to the core of it and think about it. .. It's kinda belittling and downgrading the blood, sweat and tears that goes into raising a child. Of all people that should see how hard it is you'd expect your friends and family to "see".

I've had dogs my whole life, since i was born we've had a dog as part of the family. I know the love they give and the rewards of having a pet and i know that not once have i ever thought that my dog is in any way the same as someone's child or should be considered as anywhere near equal.

Having a baby is like climbing a mountain, buying a puppy is like a walk in the park. You wouldn't go up to a marathon runner and say "oh i know what it's like to run a marathon because i walked to the shops today".

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Candiceo For This Useful Post:

Mod-Degrassi  (10-05-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I used to think it was ridiculous when people would celebrate Mother's Day with their pets, then I realised I was the ridiculous one. Who cares if they see themselves as 'fur mums'... it doesn't lessen the acknowledgement and gratitude shown to me, as a human mum.
    Saying they know what it feels like to raise a child because they have a pet is just them trying to relate in the only way they know; it's a natural human thing to find a similarity between ourselves and other people.

6. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to atomicmama For This Useful Post:

Clementine Grace  (10-05-2016),HillDweller  (10-05-2016),Jast  (10-05-2016),Nemmi1987  (10-05-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by atomicmama View Post
    I used to think it was ridiculous when people would celebrate Mother's Day with their pets, then I realised I was the ridiculous one. Who cares if they see themselves as 'fur mums'... it doesn't lessen the acknowledgement and gratitude shown to me, as a human mum.
    Saying they know what it feels like to raise a child because they have a pet is just them trying to relate in the only way they know; it's a natural human thing to find a similarity between ourselves and other people.
    Exactly this. Of course having a cat curled up on your lap is just not comparable to breastfeeding a baby every 2 hours for months until your eyeballs are hanging out, but it's still care and love for another creature. Sometimes it's just nicer to be kind or humour people. People with fur babies i imagine will almost all have an awakening when their human baby turns up, but till then, their pets are the centre for them.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Clementine Grace For This Useful Post:

atomicmama  (10-05-2016),Little Miss Sunshine  (10-05-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Fur babies vs real babies

My Aunt and Uncle have no children by choice. They have a dog which they treat more like a child than an actual child. They don't go away on holidays unless they can take their dog as he doesn't like going to the kennel. They only take it to a couple of holiday places that it knows so it doesn't get anxious. My parents asked them to go to Europe with them this year and despite really wanting to go they don't want to leave the dog for a month! They carry it around, constantly examine it and check on it (it's got pancreatitis and needs a special diet) and just generally fuss over it to a ridiculous level. They get up to it twice a night to let it wee outside. This dog is 14 years old, it honestly seems like they have fussed and sacrificed and lost
    more sleep over it than they would have a child! I don't get it.

I have pets but they are just animals, I love them but they are not comparable to humans.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Marigolds For This Useful Post:

Candiceo  (10-05-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Marigolds View Post
    My Aunt and Uncle have no children by choice. They have a dog which they treat more like a child than an actual child. They don't go away on holidays unless they can take their dog as he doesn't like going to the kennel. They only take it to a couple of holiday places that it knows so it doesn't get anxious. My parents asked them to go to Europe with them this year and despite really wanting to go they don't want to leave the dog for a month! They carry it around, constantly examine it and check on it (it's got pancreatitis and needs a special diet) and just generally fuss over it to a ridiculous level. They get up to it twice a night to let it wee outside. This dog is 14 years old, it honestly seems like they have fussed and sacrificed and lost

I have pets but they are just animals, I love them but they are not comparable to humans.
    I have 4 kids and 2 dogs. We don't go anywhere unless we can get a house sitter as the dogs find kennels stressful. Why would I own a pet then put them in a stressful environment because we wanted a holiday? One of our dogs has a small bladder so yes I get up once a night to take her to the toilet (usually around 2am). Doesn't bother me and beats cleaning up accidents in the morning.

My 2nd child has a severe anxiety condition and our Jack Russell is her sanity and saviour. Whenever she's anxious or struggling I can tell as she lies next to the dog and just holds onto her for sometimes up to an hour. It calms her down and the dog seems to know and just lies there with her.

I get that it's different and that kids are far and away more work than pets (I had 4 of them so I know).

But what I don't get is why other people's relationships with their pets bothers people. It doesn't affect anyone but them so does anyone really need to care?

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Sonja For This Useful Post:

HillDweller  (10-05-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews

Maybe they do treat it more like a child, but i guess thats their choice. Unless it impacts on anyone else, i really don't see any problem.

My dog was starved, beaten and locked in a cage before we got him, so even though he's happy and pretty rehabilitated now, he can't go to a kennel either as he won't go into small spaces, he gets petrified. I guess some pets are higher needs than others, but if their owners are willing to look after their needs, i kind of just don't understand why this would annoy anyone else.

14. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Clementine Grace For This Useful Post:

HillDweller  (10-05-2016),Jast  (10-05-2016),Nemmi1987  (10-05-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Fur babies vs real babies

Quote Originally Posted by Sonja View Post
    I have 4 kids and 2 dogs. We don't go anywhere unless we can get a house sitter as the dogs find kennels stressful. Why would I own a pet then put them in a stressful environment because we wanted a holiday? One of our dogs has a small bladder so yes I get up once a night to take her to the toilet (usually around 2am). Doesn't bother me and beats cleaning up accidents in the morning.

My 2nd child has a severe anxiety condition and our Jack Russell is her sanity and saviour. Whenever she's anxious or struggling I can tell as she lies next to the dog and just holds onto her for sometimes up to an hour. It calms her down and the dog seems to know and just lies there with her.

I get that it's different and that kids are far and away more work than pets (I had 4 of them so I know).

But what I don't get is why other people's relationships with their pets bothers people. It doesn't affect anyone but them so does anyone really need to care?
    I don't understand it because to me, if you choose not to have kids it's to enjoy living child free, which I would imagine for most people would mean travel and holidays, a full nights sleep and freedom.
    Why tie yourself to a dog that means you don't go on holidays, no travel, broken sleep and fussing for 14 years? Id rather have had the experience of having kids!

I really don't get missing out on holidays for an animal. We take our dog camping with us as much as possible, but I'm certainly not going to miss out of other holidays for it.

Addit. We go away as an extended family once a year (dogs welcome). They spend more time fussing over, get up earlier than I do with my kids (the dog gets up at 4:30 to be walked), watch every mouthful it eats, follow it around constantly when its outside (to check for snakes and ticks) it's honestly more intensive than my children!
    Last edited by Marigolds; 10-05-2016 at 13:09.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Monkey'sMummy View Post
    I'm with you OP. It drives me nuts. A "friend" on Facebook recently got (as in paid a professional photographer) "family portraits" done of her & her dogs. I've never seen something so ridiculous in all my life....!

Animals are not children!! I understand people live their pets. But they're still pets!
    I wish we had something like that before my dog got hit by a car and died. He was my everything, and got me through the tough times of TTC. I hate that I don't have any really nice photos of us together.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to LaDiDah For This Useful Post:

Nemmi1987  (10-05-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/10/14100 Posts in a week
    I don't understand it because to me, if you choose not to have kids it's to enjoy living child free, which I would imagine for most people would mean travel and holidays, a full nights sleep and freedom.
    Why tie yourself to a dog that means you don't go on holidays, no travel, broken sleep and fussing for 14 years? Id rather have had the experience of having kids!

I really don't get missing out on holidays for an animal. We take our dog camping with us as much as possible, but I'm certainly not going to miss out of other holidays for it.
    And that's fine if you don't understand it. I don't understand people owning pets who never walk them or interact with them (not saying that's you at all just it does happen).

I guess I just don't question other people's choices when it comes to pets so long as the pet is cared for. My inlaws bought a dog when they learned of my FIL's cancer and this dog is their world. They give up so much because of this dog but for them it's worth it. Who am I to judge?

19. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sonja For This Useful Post:

HillDweller  (10-05-2016),Nemmi1987  (10-05-2016)