+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    I definitely can understand getting frustrated with 'furbabies'!!!

My brother in law's wife has 'furbabies' and they're nutty. 2 purebred Staffies. The older one suffers terrible anxiety and is somewhat neurotic. The puppy has had almost no training and destroys everything. Together they are a nightmare. They also work long hours so the dogs get bored.

The wife's family live 300km away and regularly they have to go visit. Often they can't bring the dogs so con MIL into dog sitting. At her house they try to escape, bark constantly and destroy the garden. MIL is big into her garden and was devastated when they destroyed her garden last time. They also pinched FIL's $600 prescription safety glasses out of his work bag and destroyed them. Along with some toys they keep their for my daughter.

I've reached the stage where I don't trust those dogs, they're kind of shifty and I fear they will hurt DD. but I can't say anything negative about her dogs. I have said they aren't allowed at our place as we live in a farming area.

If I ever said anything about their dogs it would be world war 3. I just think it's kind of wrong the life those dogs lead abd how they force them on others by taking them everywhere

2. The Following User Says Thank You to kzm For This Useful Post:

Candiceo  (10-05-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by HillDweller View Post
    Why is it ridiculous? Some people are bigger animal lovers than others. To many people their pets are just as much a part of the family as anyone else. Just because you don't feel that way doesn't make them 'ridiculous'.

I know many people who were told they would not love their pets as much as their children, yet when they had children, they still did. It may be a slightly different type of love, but so what? Does someone not love their parents because it's not 'the same' as the love they feel for their child?

For some people their pets are their whole world and I can't see how that can drive anyone else crazy. Having children does not give you the monopoly over love. Did it occur to you that some people have been unable to have children and have found a maternal love for their pet instead?

I know lots of people who have family portraits with their animals, I think it's lovely.

OP I know you said this thread was meant to be lighthearted but unfortunately I just find this sort of attitude from people horribly elitist and condescending.
    This.
    I miss my dog terribly and wish she was here to be part of our family with DD. We have a huge portrait of her on our living room. She was amazing and definitely not just a pet!

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to amiracle4me For This Useful Post:

Candiceo  (10-05-2016),HillDweller  (09-05-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Our poochie is one of the family. She is white ball of fluff baby girl. She has pj's for cold nights and a jacket for the day. We all love her to bits and if something happened to her we'd be completely devastated. We lost our other white fluffy girl last year and we where all emotional wrecks including my son who had grown up with her. He was crying every day and still now 12 months later he still has a cry and even holds her picture at night in bed. To some pets are just animals but to others they are a real part of the family and considered fur babies like they are in my house. A fur baby will always give you unconditional love like your children will, they will want cuddles and to snuggle with you just like your kids

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to babybeeno1 For This Useful Post:

bezzy  (10-05-2016),Candiceo  (10-05-2016),Jast  (09-05-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Candiceo View Post
    This is just light hearted but does anyone else get fed up with pet owners comparing their pet to a real child? It drives me insane!

I had a friend tell me all about her dog being defiant and not being quiet when she asked it to stop barking and because of that she knows exactly how it feels to have a 5 year old son.

No! Argh it's not the same!
    Your friend's dog is just as big a part of her life as your children are to yours. It is absolutely the same and there is nothing wrong with your "friend" making the comparison. It's sad that you could be fed up hearing a friend talk about someone or something in their life that makes them happy. I hope some of the replies to your post might help you become a kinder friend.

8. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Jast For This Useful Post:

amiracle4me  (10-05-2016),bezzy  (10-05-2016),Candiceo  (10-05-2016),Nemmi1987  (10-05-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I have a dog who we refer to as our last child. I would love to have family portraits that include the dog, actually 😉 Sure I love my kids more, but I love my dog intensely, too.
    When people compare their pets to kids I just smile. Sure,;the responsibility is not the same, but they're just trying to relate to your life in the only way they can.

10. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Full House For This Useful Post:

amiracle4me  (10-05-2016),babyno1onboard  (10-05-2016),Candiceo  (10-05-2016),HillDweller  (10-05-2016),Little Miss Sunshine  (10-05-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Fur babies vs real babies

I just want to clarify I still do love my dog since having kids. She's very much part of the family and cones with us wherever she is allowed to.

It's just not that all fierce protective love any more. She is no longer the front and centre of my world, demoted lower in the pecking order. I would no longer jump in front of a bus for her- that's reserved for my human kids 😊

Eta: she also co sleeps with us. The kids don't 😂
    Last edited by Little Miss Sunshine; 10-05-2016 at 07:26.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Little Miss Sunshine For This Useful Post:

Candiceo  (10-05-2016),HillDweller  (10-05-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Jast View Post
    Your friend's dog is just as big a part of her life as your children are to yours. It is absolutely the same and there is nothing wrong with your "friend" making the comparison. It's sad that you could be fed up hearing a friend talk about someone or something in their life that makes them happy. I hope some of the replies to your post might help you become a kinder friend.
    Hahaha fair point! I was just saying the comparison was annoying, not that her dog, or her love for her dog is annoying.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Candiceo For This Useful Post:

Jast  (10-05-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by HillDweller View Post
    Why is it ridiculous? Some people are bigger animal lovers than others. To many people their pets are just as much a part of the family as anyone else. Just because you don't feel that way doesn't make them 'ridiculous'.

I know many people who were told they would not love their pets as much as their children, yet when they had children, they still did. It may be a slightly different type of love, but so what? Does someone not love their parents because it's not 'the same' as the love they feel for their child?

For some people their pets are their whole world and I can't see how that can drive anyone else crazy. Having children does not give you the monopoly over love. Did it occur to you that some people have been unable to have children and have found a maternal love for their pet instead?

I know lots of people who have family portraits with their animals, I think it's lovely.

OP I know you said this thread was meant to be lighthearted but unfortunately I just find this sort of attitude from people horribly elitist and condescending.
    This.
    I love my pets just as much since I had children, it didn't change my feelings for them one bit. Just my choice but I'd rather hear about people's pets than their kids.

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bezzy For This Useful Post:

HillDweller  (10-05-2016),Nemmi1987  (10-05-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Everyone is so very different with their pets and how they treat them.

I.e. I'd rush home in a thunderstorm if i knew our cats were out in their run, and could be getting wet. I leave a heater on low for the older cat during the day in winter. We never leave the dog for more than a few hours on his own outside, especially in winter or the heat. He doesn't go without a daily walk if we can help it etc. He was a severely abused rescue dog and we want his life to be as happy as it can. For some people, pets are just a matter of giving them food and water and them being in the yard. For others they want to have family portraits with them.

Totally each to their own but to a lot of people, they do feel like children. Obviously when people have kids after pets they then realise that babies and kids are a whole different dynamic but you really can't explain that to someone till it happens.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Clementine Grace For This Useful Post:

HillDweller  (10-05-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Candiceo View Post
    Hahaha fair point! I was just saying the comparison was annoying, not that her dog, or her love for her dog is annoying.
    What about it annoys you?