+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Behavioural? 3yo having accidents again

My 3y4month old has been day trained for awhile. Lately though she'll have good days and bad days and it has been escalating over the past couple of weeks - today she had 4 accidents.

I'm quite frankly over it. I will ask her if she needs to go, she will say no but then wet herself 2 minutes later. I'm not sure if it is really accidental or if she's just being lazy. I've read that you shouldn't get angry at them but she doesn't seemed bothered by it at all. And it is incredibly frustrating having her wee on the lounge and carpet when I asked her to go only a few minutes earlier.

It's driving me bonkers and I'm unsure of the right approach.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Two thoughts came to me - one, if this is unusual, could it be something like a UTI causing frequent accidents and the second, was having a new sibling. My DS was 3.5yrs when my DD was born and although he had been TT trained for ages (like a year), he started to have a few accidents. It didn't last long and he's back to normal now.

Hope you get it sorted 😀

3. The Following User Says Thank You to wobbleyhorse For This Useful Post:

Little Miss Sunshine  (09-05-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    My DD went through stages of this, and a couple of friend's kids did too. It would last about a week, nothing seemed to be the cause, then she would go back to no accidents. It coincided with some pretty horrible 3 year old behaviour too. I put it down to making a developmental leap/learning something new. She always went back to no accidents, and now at 4years4months doesn't have accidents.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to moto For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    My DS started having accidents and turned out he had a UTI.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to VicPark For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Happened to my friend too. Her DD had a uti so she kept wetting herself. My DD just had a bit of a regression where she kept wetting but after a few weeks it improved

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Bond Girl For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    I found that my dd went through a phase of defying me, no matter what I said, it was "No!" Changing my terminology helped.. Things like, "remember to tell mummy if you need a wee", rather than asking her if she needed to go. Or, "the toilet is there, there's your step, you can reach by yourself, take yourself. Do it before the wee wee starts to come."

The second was slightly more forceful, but not unkind. But, my dd is an independent little lady. She responded quite well..

Do you think changing the way you ask could help you?

11. The Following User Says Thank You to preggasaurus For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Mine all went through a similar stage.

Chances are that it is most likely behavioural and will get better over time.

My take was they would get so absorbed in what they were doing that they either wouldn't notice until it was too late or just did not want to waste time going to the toilet.

The fact they were three and just plain defiant definitely came into it as well.

Oh, and one of mine had chronic constipation problems and consequently could not control her wees 100% of the time until we got the constipation sorted. I think the mass was placing pressure on her bladder. I'm not sure how common it is, but it was a real problem for her until she was five.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to SSecret Squirrel For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Behavioural? 3yo having accidents again

Thanks all, some good advice here.
    I don't think it's a uti as the colour is good and no other symptoms, and it's not a daily thing, she'll have good days but then others (like yesterday) where she wets herself 3 or 4 times. I'll make sure to keep pushing fluids though and if it continues I'll pinch a stick from work to test it.

As for regressing due to a new sibling- yes we went through that already when dd2 was born and I had to put her back in nappies for a few weeks. Dd2 is 6 months now so I don't suspect it's still an issue.

I think it's more her being defiant/too busy/tired, as it's usually in the afternoons and evenings as most days now she no longer naps and can be quite feral. She's a strong individual 3 year old

I'll try and stop asking/reminding her, and it's nice to know others go through these phases too. It was embarrassing at the cafe the other day though, and her spare pants were in the car sigh.

Thanks again
    Last edited by Little Miss Sunshine; 10-05-2016 at 12:02.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Little Miss Sunshine For This Useful Post:

wobbleyhorse  (10-05-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I know this is an old thread but I'm wondering how you went with this and if anyone else has advice? DS has just entered a super defiant stage and toileting seems to have fallen victim to this! In fact, his TT had been the best it's ever been just 2 weeks ago and now it's like we started training yesterday.

I'm pretty sure its entirely behavioural as he usually goes and hides, today he even told his daycare teacher 'no' when asked then started giggling and wet himself right in front of her!

JIC it's UTI related, those who had this as the cause, were there any other smptoms?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Stretched View Post
    I know this is an old thread but I'm wondering how you went with this and if anyone else has advice? DS has just entered a super defiant stage and toileting seems to have fallen victim to this! In fact, his TT had been the best it's ever been just 2 weeks ago and now it's like we started training yesterday.

I'm pretty sure its entirely behavioural as he usually goes and hides, today he even told his daycare teacher 'no' when asked then started giggling and wet himself right in front of her!

JIC it's UTI related, those who had this as the cause, were there any other smptoms?
    I have not had a child with a UTI but my first thought was check for UTI. Mostly because of what I have read with symptoms.

Otherwise if that is fine and it is behavioural I would look at any recent 'big' changes. Toileting is something they tend to have 'control' over so it can go awry when they lose control of something else.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to twinklify For This Useful Post:

Stretched  (20-09-2016)