+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Early scan results... would you get 2nd opinion

My close friend did a hpt 2 weeks ago that came up strong positive. 3 days later she saw gp who referred her for bloods and scan as her dates were a bit off. Scan was the day after bloods and we were told there was a sac measuring 4-5 weeks but no fetal pole and to re scan in 2 -3 weeks... no internal scan offered. Today she went back to drs and had to see a different dr. He checked blood results and scan notes and told her as there was no fetal pole that shes most likely not preg or having a misscarriage. He said get bloods done again in 2 weeks and would not give her a 2nd scan referral. He was extremely rude and also told her 2 yr son who was trying to talk to her to shush very rudely. Im so angry on her behalf, he upset her nearly to the point of tears and has stressed her out about losing the pregnancy. I've had multiple misscarriages and have never been treated this way...... wouldn't you offer follow up bloods to check hcg levels?? Her levels where 900 and something which can be between 4 and 5 weeks. I've told her to get a second opinion. Just wondering if anything similar has happened to anyone on here and what your thoughts are... would love to be able to offer her some reassurance that this dr was just a total ar$e...
    TIA

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    It is entirely possible that your friend is just not as far along as what she thought she may be! A few days can make the world of difference, particularly so early on.

Personally I wouldn't be making any decisions until I'd had a repeat BT and an internal ultrasound. Once your friend's HCG is over 1,000 I'd be recommending she seeks another opinion and has an internal scan done.

As to what I think of her Doctor....I agree with you. He is a bl00dy jackass, and he needs to work on his bedside manner.
    Last edited by Blossom74; 09-05-2016 at 17:31.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I would go to another doctor and ask for a repeat scan. Bloods will show an increase so if she has the referral no harm getting that done, but def ask for the repeat scan when getting the blood results.

How awful that she was treated that was. She should put in a complaint.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to lauzie For This Useful Post:

Blossom74  (09-05-2016),Nemmi1987  (09-05-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    If money isn't a concern she can pay to have a scan done at a private clinic as you don't need a referral for a dating scan at those places, otherwise she should go back to a different doctor and ask for another scan referral. Don't know why it would be any skin off their nose to write a referral for a dating scan.

Thanks
    Reviews
    It would be standard to repeat bloods and do another scan. For a more definite answer the scan should be two weeks apart. No idea why the doctor didn't want to do that but I agree she should see someone else. One scan is not enough to say if a pregnancy is viable, dates can be off a lot early and a transabdominal scan is hopeless for seeing a fetal pole at that gestation!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks for the replies. With all my misscarriages I've been sent for repeat bloods asap to see if they drop or rise. I've never been told come back for bloods in 2 weeks. Its absolutly certain her dates coukd be off.... we worked out she coukd have been as early as 3 weeks when scan was done.

BH-KatiesMum is online now Community Manager
    Winner 2008 - The most optimistic poster
    Winner 2014 - Most Helpful Moderator
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator
    200 Posts in a week100 Posts in a week
    I do understand being told to wait a bit - sometimes it is simply too early to scan. A repeat scan in 2-3 weeks is usually what they do as far as I am aware.

I dont understand not wanting to give the repeat scan

and - no matter the circumstances - some sensitivity and courtesy when dealing with patients never goes astray

Thanks
    Reviews
    All my scans have been between 4-5 weeks. My 1st preg I got a referral for a scan in 2 weeks (no bloods - I had no history of miscarriage and the only reason we had the scan was due to long inconsistent cycles).

The 2nd was similar - no idea due to cycles.

This time we did not even do bloods - just a scan showed 4w5d then I got a referral for ob and had a scan in the obs office on the first appointment.

The dr asked if I wanted another - but I knew my ob liked to do bloods/scan himself.

If she is private and knows what ob she wants maybe just get her to call the office of the ob to see if they will do a scan and just get a referral.

That dr was just rude. And wrong.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I Had no yolk sac no baby at 5w3d. Completely normal.
    6w3d and baby and yolk sac were there.
    At 900 hcg they dont expect to see much on a scan, maybe a tiny sac.
    I would have requested bloods for 2-3 days after the first and seen how they were rising

11. The Following User Says Thank You to giveitago For This Useful Post:

Nemmi1987  (09-05-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I think it seems so odd to straight up say you will lose the pregnancy just because of no fetal pole??