+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Wwyd

Europe for 6ish weeks. Visiting 3-4 countries staying few days in ea location

A) Would you prefer to go with 18 month old and 3.5 year old or

B) 2.5 year old, 4.5 year old and 4-6 month old.

Older child is already toilet trained. Younger child hopefully will be by 2.5 years ( doubtful at 18months)

Option a is cheaper flight wise but unless we are lucky to get a spare seat next to us we'll have an 18 month old on our laps for 24 hours ( unlikely to get bassinet seat due to age).

Option b is more expensive but we are highly likely to get bassinet seat due to youngest age and two others will have own seat.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by maternidade View Post
    Europe for 6ish weeks. Visiting 3-4 countries staying few days in ea location

A) Would you prefer to go with 18 month old and 3.5 year old or

B) 2.5 year old, 4.5 year old and 4-6 month old.

Older child is already toilet trained. Younger child hopefully will be by 2.5 years ( doubtful at 18months)

Option a is cheaper flight wise but unless we are lucky to get a spare seat next to us we'll have an 18 month old on our laps for 24 hours ( unlikely to get bassinet seat due to age).

Option b is more expensive but we are highly likely to get bassinet seat due to youngest age and two others will have own seat.
    I can only speak about an 18 month old as we took our 18 month old to Europe but for us it was surprisingly easy at that age.

We wore him a lot on the ergo. He was too young to be too defiant. He was fine on the plane.

I would personally prefer only taking 2 as well.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    From my experience when my two were 18 mths I didnt even like going to woolies with an 18mo let alone a holiday!!

I would go with the second option. You could put the 2.5 yo in stroller and bub in a carrier when you are there.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Purple Poppy For This Useful Post:

Little Miss Sunshine  (09-05-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Purple Poppy View Post
    I would go with the second option. You could put the 2.5 yo in stroller and bub in a carrier when you are there.
    Just a warning - strollers and cobblestone streets are hell. So you will need to keep that in mind depending on where you go.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to twinklify For This Useful Post:

Stretched  (10-05-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Planning on baby wearing have an ergo so can put toddler in. I know that prams are a no no

Thanks
    Reviews
    18mth was the hardest age for us with travel...so so active, but without the comprehension or ability to sit still for a long time on request. My DS was a nightmare, crawling understand seats and poking the people in front. But I guess it depends on the temperament of the child. Babies and older toddlers are easier in my experience...but then some 2.5yo are nightmares too!!

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Kaybaby For This Useful Post:

Little Miss Sunshine  (09-05-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Wwyd

Personally I'd go with option b.
    We have travelled a couple of times and the hardest was when dd1 was around 18 months, it was the absolute pits, as the reasons given above.
    Mind you dd1 isn't a runner so I could happily walk with her at 2.5 years.
    Newborns are very portable.

Eta: my 18 month old also fell apart without a decent day nap. At 2.5 years that is no longer such a big issue.
    Last edited by Little Miss Sunshine; 09-05-2016 at 15:46.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Option a. 2 would be easier than 3 despite the age etc.

You might be lucky enough to get a bassinet, we travelled OS twice with DS1 at 10 months then again at 20months and we had bassinets for all of our flights. I was surprised he still fit in them but he wasn't a huge baby.

I found it easier to travel when he was 20 months than as a 10 month old. It didn't matter as much if he missed a sleep. When he missed a sleep as a 10 month old (which is often when you travel), the whole plane (train, resort etc) would know about it!

We used a hiking style backpack carrier it was fantastic getting around airports and just for travelling in general. The ergo carrier good too and folds down well but we used both.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Option a. I found 13m through to about 3 just bad all around for flying. So either way you are potentially having to deal with a toddler. However, 2 adults - 2 kids, just so much easier!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Without a doubt i would go with option a. 2 adults 2 children. 18mths can be a tough age, but 2.5 can be just the same in my experience. Even at 2.5 my eldest wouldnt have been able to sit still for the flight etc. 2 young ones plus s baby ( with all the baby gear) would be overwhelming, especially if you are packing up and moving every few days. If you have one child each, it gives you more options to do things, even split up and do activities. We did a trip when our eldest were just 4 and 2. I wouldn't dream of going with 3 and we havent done a long trip even though our youngest is now almost 4. The furthest we went was gold coast and the 'logistics' with 3 is so so much harder.

Biggest tips that worked for us when we travelled with 2 to europe:longer stops in each place. A stroller for each of them ( we would walk up to 7km per day in paris, for example), carry on luggage only. Yes it can be done. Choose clothes carefully and have access to washing every few days. We just got off the plane and walked off with no waiting for luggage.

Ps: holidaying with 2 sounds like a long lost dream to me now haha. I wish i had appreciated it more when i had it because 3 is just a big 'nooooooo'.

Good luck with your decision!