+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Wow. Sounds like my DS in early day. Is your baby colic?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by VicPark View Post
    Do you have a thermostat controlled heater? Unless you do the temp may not be consistent/bub may be cold.

Bub could be waking because of being aided to sleep? (Dummy/music/patting/feeding/rocking)
    No I don't but I'm running out to grab an oil heater tomorrow with the thermostat. She does have a dummy and I do rock her to sleep. She just won't go down otherwise. I put her in a love to dream swaddle at night and then in the day I swaddle get with a stretchy Muslin. I know I'm probably doing lots of things wrong but I just feel so overwhelmed. Nothing seems to be working but I can't bare to hear her cry.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by bbhope View Post
    Wow. Sounds like my DS in early day. Is your baby colic?
    Yes I guess so. Colic I guess is where they cry ALL the time and she definitely does that. She will be fast asleep for 5 minutes and then wide awake! What did you do or did he just grow out of it?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    My 9.5 week old DS2 is similar. We too had horrid reflux issues and now on Losec which is working wonders. Most nights we put him down 6:30 but he usually isn't asleep properly until 8ish. He then wakes 10/11, 1/2 and then from about 3 I have found he struggles to get back to sleep - unless I bring him into bed with me. Then he sleeps for another 2-3 hours quite contently. But if I leave him in the bassinet he squirms and tosses and turns and wakes himself every 20 mins, if he in fact manages to get back to sleep at all.

So I have no real advice other than it sounds so similar and our bubs are basically the same age... I can only think that my DS is quite wakeful that time of morning and needs to be extra comfortable (ie close to mum) in order to resettle. I hope it improves though as I don't want to continue co-sleeping long term.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by sunnygirl79 View Post
    My 9.5 week old DS2 is similar. We too had horrid reflux issues and now on Losec which is working wonders. Most nights we put him down 6:30 but he usually isn't asleep properly until 8ish. He then wakes 10/11, 1/2 and then from about 3 I have found he struggles to get back to sleep - unless I bring him into bed with me. Then he sleeps for another 2-3 hours quite contently. But if I leave him in the bassinet he squirms and tosses and turns and wakes himself every 20 mins, if he in fact manages to get back to sleep at all.

So I have no real advice other than it sounds so similar and our bubs are basically the same age... I can only think that my DS is quite wakeful that time of morning and needs to be extra comfortable (ie close to mum) in order to resettle. I hope it improves though as I don't want to continue co-sleeping long term.
    It's so good to know I'm not the only one. How does your DS sleep in the day. My DD sleeps in 10-15 minute blocks and that's it. She is exhausted. Her poor little eyes are red and puffy but she just won't sleep.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Omg Hun you are not doing anything wrong so not think like that. I've never had a baby with colic or reflux so can't help you there.
    May be hunger or cold - that time of morning to sunset is the coldest part of day

7. The Following User Says Thank You to 2 girls 1 boy For This Useful Post:

A&S  (10-05-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by A&S View Post
    It's so good to know I'm not the only one. How does your DS sleep in the day. My DD sleeps in 10-15 minute blocks and that's it. She is exhausted. Her poor little eyes are red and puffy but she just won't sleep.
    Mainly 20 min blocks. Some days we are luckier and get a 40 min-1hr block early afternoon in the pram. Day sleeps are either in pram or carrier - the odd short nap in the cot. He hates the car.

His best day sleeps have been in a busy restaurant or noisy Childcare centre. The beach also good because of the ocean sounds. I find white noise helps - currently I play on my phone but I am considering buying a white noise machine from baby shop.

DS eyes also get red when tired and by the afternoon he is overtired. The way I am managing is to give him frequent opportunities to sleep - ie one hour after he wakes in morning I have him in the ergo, then if he wakes 20 mins later I put him in the pram for another 20. Another hour or so later another pram walk, etc. just spend my day ensuring he gets sleep frequently otherwise he gets overtired and impossible to settle. Not ideal but it helps keep him happy.

My first son was also a cat napper, nothing really worked for him he grew out of it by 5-6 months on his own (and has been a great sleeper ever since).

You have my sympathy though it's really hard when you know they're so tired but they just won't sleep!

(Also I know it's frowned upon, but my paed suggested sleeping on his side. Reflux bubs often prefer this to lying on back. I only do this when I can't get him sleeping on his back, and obviously keep a close eye etc).

Thanks
    Reviews
    Both of my kids have had dodgy sleep as babies. My DD didn't sleep through the night until after 2yo and my 22mo DS wakes 1-2 times every night, sometimes for hours at a time. It's exhausting, you have my sympathy! Both were cat nappers as babies but once they got a little older and onto a 2-nap routine the naps got longer. DS is now a great day sleeper, he is down to 1 nap per day and it is consistently 2hrs.

I think it's pretty normal for a bub that age to wake frequently. She's still so tiny and trying to figure it all out. Just do whatever gets you through, hopefully it starts to improve when she gets past that 12wk mark.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Cue For This Useful Post:

A&S  (10-05-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by sunnygirl79 View Post
    Mainly 20 min blocks. Some days we are luckier and get a 40 min-1hr block early afternoon in the pram. Day sleeps are either in pram or carrier - the odd short nap in the cot. He hates the car.

His best day sleeps have been in a busy restaurant or noisy Childcare centre. The beach also good because of the ocean sounds. I find white noise helps - currently I play on my phone but I am considering buying a white noise machine from baby shop.

DS eyes also get red when tired and by the afternoon he is overtired. The way I am managing is to give him frequent opportunities to sleep - ie one hour after he wakes in morning I have him in the ergo, then if he wakes 20 mins later I put him in the pram for another 20. Another hour or so later another pram walk, etc. just spend my day ensuring he gets sleep frequently otherwise he gets overtired and impossible to settle. Not ideal but it helps keep him happy.

My first son was also a cat napper, nothing really worked for him he grew out of it by 5-6 months on his own (and has been a great sleeper ever since).

You have my sympathy though it's really hard when you know they're so tired but they just won't sleep!

(Also I know it's frowned upon, but my paed suggested sleeping on his side. Reflux bubs often prefer this to lying on back. I only do this when I can't get him sleeping on his back, and obviously keep a close eye etc).
    Download the rain rain app. It's brilliant. I crank up the ocean sounds whenever she sleeps, I don't even think I could sleep without it now.

I'm trying to do the same and just provide as much opportunity even for a 10 minute nap as possible. She is tired after an hour so it just feels like it is all I do. I spend my day looking at my watch and timing when the next nap is due in case I miss her sleepy signs. That alone is exhausting.

I have actually been sleeping DD on her left side because of the reflux and nasal congestion. I think it's definitely helped but like you, I'm always on edge. I wish I wasn't so scared and could co sleep the early mornings away. I think she would do better in our bed but I just can't bring myself to do it.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Also, I loved those LTD swaddles that you're using at night, but for a bub that young I'd recommend wrapping bub firmly in a cot sheet at night. I think this really helped both my babies get to sleep a little easier and sleep for longer periods.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Cue For This Useful Post:

A&S  (10-05-2016)