+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 29/5/15Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week100 Posts in a week
    She was. She used to just go floppy and refuse to bare weight at all. She's been a tad delayed with gross motor milestones (well that's what the paed said).

Thanks
    Reviews
    mild DDH often goes undetected because its very easy to miss,
    I picked my ds2s up, his GP/ob cleared his hips ... TWICE when he had mild ddh,

He's 2 y 8 m now and we're off to the physio despite having got the all clear at 10 months as I am concerned about his sitting behaviours

Thanks
    Reviews
    I had severe ddh at birth, surgery at 9 months,
    By xray my hips are 'normal' by usage not at all. I have ZERO ability to turn my leg inwards

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/10/14100 Posts in a week
    @Mamasupial you sound like you've had a lot going on with your daughter. First off you are not an awful parent. Hip dysplasia is really tricky and with my youngest if she had been born 3 years earlier she wouldn't have been braced. I'm still not convinced the brace did much for her at all and she just grew into her hips. She was very borderline.

Let us know how you go with the X-ray.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Sonja For This Useful Post:

BH-KatiesMum  (09-05-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yes I should have added that you aren't an awful parent at all ddh is easily missed hence why they are trying to make hip scans compulsory for all babies at 6 weeks. My second daughter only got scanned because on mine and my first dd hip history we had at least 3 paeds a couple of doctors and the child health nurses check mine out and didn't detect anything and she had moderately bad ddh so definitely don't feel bad if she has it it is just one of those things that can be missed

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Hope you get some answers. You're by no means an awful parent. It can be very hard to pick this up when kids can't tell you what's going on, and you're (presumably) not a relevant medical expert.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Please don't beat yourself up about it.

My now 13 year old was breech (risk factor for hip dysplasia). She passed all external checks at birth and I was told her hips were stable. I was given a referral for an ultrasound only because she was breech. When she had her hip ultrasound at 6 weeks, she had it in both hips, one was at 0% which is about as bad as it can get. Moral of my story - it can be easy to miss.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 29/5/15Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week100 Posts in a week
    GP gave us a form for an US.

Paed might be more help on the 23rd

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mamasupial View Post
    GP gave us a form for an US.

Paed might be more help on the 23rd
    From my experience she will need an xray.

My DD had an ultrasound at 6 weeks and one more (can't remember what age). After that it was xrays only. I was told that ultrasounds were only accurate to a certain age and xrays had to be done.

My DD was in a pavlic harness for 4 months. She had a number of xrays during that time, and follow ups until age 5/6.

Thanks
    Reviews
    My sons hips and other joints click heaps, paed said that was normal, although u have the pain to consider as well but the clicking is common in many joints.