+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    I was patched from when I was 2 and then had glasses for several years after that. My eyes did completely recover, and now I'm almost 40 and don't have to wear glasses at all - not even for reading.

I didn't like it at the time, but I'm very glad that my mum made me do it!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Thank you all very much for your responses.

I will get the patches and hopefully he keeps it on.

He likes to watch Peppa pig so maybe that will make him keep it on.

I appreciate your responses

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SSecret Squirrel View Post

I was told that worst case scenario not patching or wearing glasses could mean her brain may develop a preference for her good eye and "switch" off her bad eye rendering her blind in that eye.
    This is what happened to me even though I wore a patch consistently for many years. I don't have any advice about what more I could have done to improve the situation - my Mum always felt bad that she didn't have some kind of surgery on my eye but I've read recently that that's not really done anymore.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Nafsika View Post
    Thank you all very much for your responses.

I will get the patches and hopefully he keeps it on.

He likes to watch Peppa pig so maybe that will make him keep it on.

I appreciate your responses
    We patched from 2-6hrs a day for about 3 years and it was really worth it. The vision in his 'bad' eye improved so much!
    The two things I found super helpful:
    1) if they don't tolerate the sticky patches get a good quality cloth ones that fits onto the glasses
    2) when you first start with a patch on don't do anything that your child needs to interact with their environment as their vision will be quite different and keep their hands busy so they can't pull the patch off. We started off wearing it while we went for a walk in the pram and gave DS a snack to keep him busy, we also put his favourite DVD on when we got home.
    Also if you need to use the sticky patches stick them to your jeans first to remove some stickiness so it doesn't irritate their skin. Good luck

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by bel2466 View Post
    We patched from 2-6hrs a day for about 3 years and it was really worth it. The vision in his 'bad' eye improved so much!
    The two things I found super helpful:
    1) if they don't tolerate the sticky patches get a good quality cloth ones that fits onto the glasses
    2) when you first start with a patch on don't do anything that your child needs to interact with their environment as their vision will be quite different and keep their hands busy so they can't pull the patch off. We started off wearing it while we went for a walk in the pram and gave DS a snack to keep him busy, we also put his favourite DVD on when we got home.
    Also if you need to use the sticky patches stick them to your jeans first to remove some stickiness so it doesn't irritate their skin. Good luck
    Thank you, his nearly 4 years old. The sticky part is what I'm concerned about and if it hurts him Taking it off.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Would I need to tell,him to close his good eye? Or just normal? I feel like it will be torture for him. Poor baby

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Any successful eye patching stories?

Nope they just carry on as normal, no need to close eye. If he will be wearing glasses I highly recommend the cloth ones. The first few times are hard but they adapt really quickly and completely forget they are wearing it. We even did it for 2 hrs every day at preschool. They were wonderful in helping out

Thanks
    Reviews
    Nope they just carry on as normal, no need to close eye. If he will be wearing glasses I highly recommend the cloth ones. The first few times are hard but they adapt really quickly and completely forget they are wearing it. We even did it for 2 hrs every day at preschool. They were wonderful in helping out
    He doesn't wear glasses. I'm stressed about it.

Thanks
    Reviews
    You'll be fine, be consistent , wearing it is non negotiable, make a reward chart and bribe like crazy!

10. The Following User Says Thank You to bel2466 For This Useful Post:

Nafsika  (10-05-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    You'll be fine, be consistent , wearing it is non negotiable, make a reward chart and bribe like crazy!
    Thank you so much. I know I'll feel sorry for him. I'm going to buy the ones that have colours. Hopefully we can make a game of it and he can choose colours.

I might do a 2 hour daily, so I get it in one go. Instead of 1 hour here and there.