+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Any successful eye patching stories?

A dr has advised to start eye patching on my son, just a couple hours a day, I'm not comfortable with it, as the dr said his good eye could start turning.

Any advice or have you had success with it?

Thanks
    Reviews
    I've had to patch my girl for several years now, I'm not always 100% reliable with it, life happens after all. and she's not a fan of it it but routine and persistence has paid off. Her eye has stopped turning in and her vision has improved.
    Some tricks we tried...
    pretty patches, can be bought, or, as I'm cheap instead i let her draw on her patch in whatever design she wants before putting it on.
    bribery. i like bribery, it works, and I'm not ashamed to use it.
    and I've found not trying to do it in public, it's cary for her and now, she's old enough to not want to be seen with t it on, i respect that and work with her. Our opthomologist said it doesn't have to be done for a full 2 our block too, we can do 1 hour in the morning 1 in the evening, as my kids are at school this works better for us.
    It's hard work, and its ongoing work, basically until they're 8-10 when their vision kind of...sets. But she's become more confident as her vision has improved so it's been worth it.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by stormwolfe View Post
    I've had to patch my girl for several years now, I'm not always 100% reliable with it, life happens after all. and she's not a fan of it it but routine and persistence has paid off. Her eye has stopped turning in and her vision has improved.
    Some tricks we tried...
    pretty patches, can be bought, or, as I'm cheap instead i let her draw on her patch in whatever design she wants before putting it on.
    bribery. i like bribery, it works, and I'm not ashamed to use it.
    and I've found not trying to do it in public, it's cary for her and now, she's old enough to not want to be seen with t it on, i respect that and work with her. Our opthomologist said it doesn't have to be done for a full 2 our block too, we can do 1 hour in the morning 1 in the evening, as my kids are at school this works better for us.
    It's hard work, and its ongoing work, basically until they're 8-10 when their vision kind of...sets. But she's become more confident as her vision has improved so it's been worth it.
    Thank you so much

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Yes! We had to patch my sons good eye for 2hrs a day for 2 years.. From pre prep- year one. We have just stopped. It worked wonders for our son. He went from not being able to see the top line of the eye chart to now being able to read the second line from the bottom, he improved so much!

He didn't like patching towards the end though. He has a few sensory issues so patching became one of them and he would get so stressed with the patch on, we just did a three month no patch trial to see if his eyesight would stay the same without patching and luckily it did. They don't have to patch forever, our doctor said once they are 8 or over, they are sort of stuck with the vision they have so you want to improve it as much as you can do they are left with their best vision. Luckily for us, our sons only 7 but has not gone down in vision since we stopped patching.

We bought from kids eye gear, they are on the Sunshine Coast I think. They are really well priced. We started off with the patches with pictures on them and that helped a lot, I got them from the US I think but they were quite expensive.

We ended up using a treat box, with erasers/cool pencils etc in it and each patch he wore he got a pick from the box.

Good luck!
    Last edited by mrswhitehouse; 09-05-2016 at 13:47.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Subbing as it looks like I'll need to patch dd2's good eye..

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by mrswhitehouse View Post
    Yes! We had to patch my sons good eye for 2hrs a day for 2 years.. From pre prep- year one. We have just stopped. It worked wonders for our son. He went from not being able to see the top line of the eye chart to now being able to read the second line from the bottom, he improved so much!

He didn't like patching towards the end though. He has a few sensory issues so patching became one of them and he would get so stressed with the patch on, we just did a three month no patch trial to see if his eyesight would stay the same without patching and luckily it did. They don't have to patch forever, our doctor said once they are 8 or over, they are sort of stuck with the vision they have so you want to improve it as much as you can do they are left with their best vision. Luckily for us, our sons only 7 but has not gone down in vision since we stopped patching.

We bought from kids eye gear, they are on the Sunshine Coast I think. They are really well priced. We started off with the patches with pictures on them and that helped a lot, I got them from the US I think but they were quite expensive.

We ended up using a treat box, with erasers/cool pencils etc in it and each patch he wore he got a pick from the box.

Good luck!
    Thank you

Thanks
    Reviews
    Apparently there some on eBay that are cheap and have free shipping, a lady sells them. Can't remover the now

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by mrswhitehouse View Post

Good luck!
    Did it effect his good eye at all?

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Nafsika For This Useful Post:

mrswhitehouse  (09-05-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews

His good eye was always good, it was the bottom line or second to bottom line on the chart from the beginning so it's still there. Doctors did say if he somehow lost his good eye in an accident that his bad eye would still be at driving level so I thought that was good.

His good eye turns when he isn't wearing his glasses though, so I make sure he wears them all the time.

Thanks
    Reviews
    My DD has strabismus and had to be patched for a few years. It was maybe 2 hours per day? She didn't wear the patches at school, just at home.

We used the Nexcare patches from the chemist.

http://www.nexcare.com.au/wps/portal...4631529&rt=rud

When she started wearing glasses I got some felt patches that slipped onto the glasses. She wasn't so keen on them though.

I was told that worst case scenario not patching or wearing glasses could mean her brain may develop a preference for her good eye and "switch" off her bad eye rendering her blind in that eye.