+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default DH stress/depression???

Just wanting to get some opinions on my DH. I've posted previously about his moods/temper and it's affect on the kids (that has improved recently btw).

But I'm thinking a lot today about his physical and mental health. He doesn't sleep well, less than 5 hrs a night he says because he has trouble switching off and staying asleep past 5am. He is overweight but not terribly. He probably drinks a bit too much. He often gets pins and needles for no apparent reason. And he often says to me he feels under constant stress at work and home and has had chest pains.

A common occurrence is that he'll be incredibly bad tempered in the mornings, and when I call him on it (because of the poor kids!) he'll say this is how he is now because of all the stress/lack of sleep/crap in our marriage. Blaming most of it back onto me.

I asked him this morning what we could do about it, to make him feel better. Because frankly his attitude was ruining mother's day and he can't carry on this way. I'd slept in and he had all three kids for a couple of hours resulting in his stress about the mess they'd made of the house. I suggested seeing a doctor or counsellor but he brushed it off saying they can't do anything or a counsellor will just tell him to get a hobby to relax and he has no time do that. And he just needs a new job (I've been applying this weekend to help him).

I seriously worry if one day he'll suddenly have a stroke or heart attack.

What do you think could be going on? Depression? We've been dealing with this for a while and it's become normal but I wonder if one day something will happen. 😞

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Sorry things aren't great. Maybe sleep apnea? It often causes tiredness and resulting mood disturbance.

Other than that maybe he is depressed, is he seeing someone or taking medication?

3. The Following User Says Thank You to mummymaybe For This Useful Post:

Bond Girl  (08-05-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    It sounds like he's chronically sleep deprived, due to stress. Lack of sleep definitely alters mood in a big way! If he won't consider doing something to relieve his stress at this point, perhaps he would be open to trying a sleep aid? There are natural sleeping tablets that he could try, they just help you to relax enough to get to sleep and stay asleep and are non-addictive. Maybe once he's getting some good sleep he'll be able to think more rationally and be more open to working on his mental and physical health.

I know when I'm sleep deprived everything just seems to overwhelming to contemplate and my mood is awful.

Hugs hun, I'd be concerned about all of that too. I hope you can find something that helps!

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Frankenmum For This Useful Post:

Bond Girl  (08-05-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by mummymaybe View Post
    Sorry things aren't great. Maybe sleep apnea? It often causes tiredness and resulting mood disturbance.

Other than that maybe he is depressed, is he seeing someone or taking medication?
    He doesn't snore so I don't think that's it. 😞 He's not seeing anyone or taking any medication. When I met him 11 years ago he had been on anti depressants but never since then