+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default How much formula should baby drink when weaning?

My ds2 is 10.5 months and after a few months of gradually trying I've managed to get him to drink aptimil alerpro formula (he's intolerant to cows milk). The problem is he doesn't drink huge volumes and judging by the fact he's having more wet nappies than before I don't think he was taking much breast milk during the day either. I was still feeding lots at night (6-8 times) but for the last few days we've been doing some sleep training which is going amazingly and we are down to 1-2 night feeds. So I'm hoping soon I can totally wean him as I'm a bit sick of being dairy free myself.
    I've read he should have 500-600mls milk per day but he's not having anywhere near this. At the moment if I'm lucky he gets 2 120-15l bottles. I can try upping it to 3 bottles so maybe we can get close to 450mls per day but I'm concerned that he's taking less solids now I'm trying to push the formula. I'm guessing solids should be more important at this age? He's a brilliant eater but mainly blw so again don't know quantities really as a lot gets smeared around. If he's not getting calcium from dairy foods is it really important he does drink plenty formula?? Any advice?

Thanks
    Reviews
    I would just try to up his dairy intake in his diet as well as all other important nutrients. Once good eating is established milk isn't a necessity. It took me so song to wean my first daughter from bottle (aged 3yrs🙈) I totally regretted that so for my second dd she stopped showing interest in the bottle at around 10months so i took it off her & gave her milk in a cup. Both my girls were never fond of cows milk once they turned one so they just have it in cereal.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Jenzbaby3 For This Useful Post:

nh2489  (08-05-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Jenzbaby3 View Post
    I would just try to up his dairy intake in his diet as well as all other important nutrients. Once good eating is established milk isn't a necessity. It took me so song to wean my first daughter from bottle (aged 3yrs🙈) I totally regretted that so for my second dd she stopped showing interest in the bottle at around 10months so i took it off her & gave her milk in a cup. Both my girls were never fond of cows milk once they turned one so they just have it in cereal.
    The problem is he can't have dairy as he intolerant to cows milk. In hoping he will grow out of it but when he accidentally had it recently in a biscuit his colitis came back for weeks so at the moment he can't eat dairy and I don't think alternative milks such as almond have huge amounts of calcium in.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I have no idea about quantities but I found DD will drink far more formula if I give it to her in a straw cup as opposed to a bottle.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to babyno1onboard For This Useful Post:

nh2489  (08-05-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts

Default How much formula should baby drink when weaning?

Is he still putting on weight? My DS at about 11 months was only on 300ml as he also loved his food and by 12 months was at 200ml ( 2 X 100nl morning and night) by 14 months 2 X 50ml and by 15 months was just having water , he never had milk as a drink - if at 12 months he is getting all his nutrition from his solids then he won't need the formula , just make sure his diet is varied ( meat, fish, legumes, fruit, veggies, whole grains , nuts etc )

There are plenty of other ways to get calcium apart from dairy, some good sources:
    Add chia seeds or sesame seeds to everything! ( eggs, pasta, soups, muffins)
    Tempeh (fermented soy beans , healthier than tofu )
    Broccoli ( literally have it every day it's so nutritious , DS at 5 still does!)
    Kale ( add chopped kale to eggs and pasta )
    Oranges ( all citrus fruits)
    Hummus or anything where you can add beans or chick peas
    Tin salmon (add to pasta or toasted sandwiches)
    Almond milk or almond butter ( add milk to cereal or smoothies , almond butter on toast or rice cakes)
    Black strap molasses ( best source of calcium and iron , brush on his roast veggies or add to soups )

Vitamin D is essential to help absorb any sources of calcium so also make sure he gets plenty of eggs, oily fish like salmon or sardines and sunshine 😀

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Elijahs Mum For This Useful Post:

nh2489  (08-05-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Elijahs Mum View Post
    Is he still putting on weight? My DS at about 11 months was only on 300ml as he also loved his food and by 12 months was at 200ml ( 2 X 100nl morning and night) by 14 months 2 X 50ml and by 15 months was just having water , he never had milk as a drink - if at 12 months he is getting all his nutrition from his solids then he won't need the formula , just make sure his diet is varied ( meat, fish, legumes, fruit, veggies, whole grains , nuts etc )

There are plenty of other ways to get calcium apart from dairy, some good sources:
    Add chia seeds or sesame seeds to everything! ( eggs, pasta, soups, muffins)
    Tempeh (fermented soy beans , healthier than tofu )
    Broccoli ( literally have it every day it's so nutritious , DS at 5 still does!)
    Kale ( add chopped kale to eggs and pasta )
    Oranges ( all citrus fruits)
    Hummus or anything where you can add beans or chick peas
    Tin salmon (add to pasta or toasted sandwiches)
    Almond milk or almond butter ( add milk to cereal or smoothies , almond butter on toast or rice cakes)
    Black strap molasses ( best source of calcium and iron , brush on his roast veggies or add to soups )

Vitamin D is essential to help absorb any sources of calcium so also make sure he gets plenty of eggs, oily fish like salmon or sardines and sunshine 😀
    Thanks so much for the advice about calcium rich foods. I did speak to a nutritionist a few months ago but at the time she was happy ds was getting me enough calcium just from breastmilk so didn't really go into detail about foods I could give. In terms of his weight, I haven't had him checked for a couple of months but he generally is pretty tiny on the 3rd percentile. Mostly I think due to the fact he never drank huge amounts of milk so I'm hoping now he's on formula and I know how much he's taking he might start gaining a bit more weight.
    As he's happy to try lots of foods I'm keen to push the solids and I'll definitely try some of those foods you suggested. Annoyingly broccoli is one food he's not too fussed about!! Ds1 used to hate broccoli as a baby too!