+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/10/14100 Posts in a week
    My youngest bad chronic reflux issues and I saw a chiro for her from about 4 weeks old. He was extremely gentle and it seemed very effective. I'd notice the immediate impact it had on her and how settled she would become after the session. If we missed a week I noticed how unsettled she became again until I was able to get her back.

We stopped at about 6 months old.

I know the risks with chiros, and it's not something I've ever used for myself, but I definitely felt it helped her (and therefore me).

I know that chiros get a bad rap, and often deservedly so, but for whatever reason I think for the right conditions they can be very effective.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week

Default Chiropractor & 4 day old baby

we took my 2 week old ds to see an osteo for craniosacral massage. we think the cs birth caused slight trauma to his jaw as his jaw was very tight and he wasn't able to BF properly. 2 visits later in which the osteo did very light touch massage on his jaw, and he was feeding like a champ.

I did read some articles online prior to our first appointment of how one osteo was crunching babies' backs and in one instance caused death. I was a bit scared going into our first session after reading that but I just watched her like a hawk and would've asked her to stop if there were any moves she did that I didn't feel comfortable with. she was so good with him, so gentle he ended up all relaxed and going to sleep 😂

I do think these practitioners get a bad rap but I do think you need to exercise caution too. I'd never let someone do a treatment I didn't feel comfortable with.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to turquoisecoast For This Useful Post:

Rose&Aurelia&Hannah  (08-05-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by JR03 View Post
    What exactly is involved in a newborn chiro treatment, the "proper", non-cracking ones?
    Ours just lay her in my arms and did tapping very gently with his hands on her back and stomach.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Chiropractor & 4 day old baby

Quote Originally Posted by babyno1onboard View Post
    Oh and there are rough operators out there in every profession. Doesn't mean the whole profession should get a bad name.
    This is def true. I took my baby to a well recommended one though and i was super surprised at the rubbish I was told, I really should have reported the clinic and I wish now I had of. Def one of the bad ones.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I didn't watch the video in the OP, but I'm assuming it's the one doing the rounds at the moment that I've already seen. If so, that back cracking was horrific.

Chiropractors have their place, albeit very small, imo. I'd have no issue with Chiros if they stuck to evidence based treatment, but I've heard of too many that don't.

7. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to atomicmama For This Useful Post:

bel2466  (08-05-2016),BettyV  (08-05-2016),cheeeeesecake  (08-05-2016),PomPoms  (08-05-2016),smallpotatoes  (08-05-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I personally would never take my baby to a chiro, just because I believe in evidence based medicine. It's funny, we parents demand years of study and evidence to back up the safety and effectiveness of vaccines,yet go to a chiro for our baby because 'someone said it might help'even though there is little to no evidence to support the practice at all.

I've only been to a chiro once myself. He gave me a huge list of problems that was wrong with me, & said I need to come back 3 x a week for 8 months. At $80 a visit. Where he did pretty much nothing. I never returned.... even if I wanted to, there is no way I would be able to afford it.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to cheeeeesecake For This Useful Post:

Silver flute  (08-05-2016),SSecret Squirrel  (08-05-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Not sure about infant chiropractic, but I saw a cranial osteopath on advice of my midwife because DD1 was a vacuum then forceps birth. He did some very gentle touches on her head. Extremely gentle. Said she was in pretty good shape all things considered. I'm not sure if it did anything as she seemed ok anyway. I just went in case.

I have personally had chiropractic on my back in the UK because I had a lot of pain. Definitely helped.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Bond Girl For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    I take my kids to a chiro and they have never done any manipulation or bone cracking on them. I also go to help with my back and hips, instead of doing a big care plan my chiro told me doing yoga or pilates would help me gain strength in my lower back. So not all of them just want you to keep coming back on a regular basis for your $$$$$
    Dd no longer snores and i found ds is calmer and not as hyper after we go.
    You are going to have dodgy people in every profession unfortunately even in areas with all the eveidence based research.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Purple Poppy For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    If chiropractors aren't 'manipulating' or 'cracking' babies, what are they supposedly doing?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by sajimum View Post
    If chiropractors aren't 'manipulating' or 'cracking' babies, what are they supposedly doing?
    Yes, I also don't get the "I took my baby to the chiro, but it's ok, they didnt really DO anything". ...well,if they didnt do anything, how, for the love of evidence-based medicine, is it supposed to help?

16. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to cheeeeesecake For This Useful Post:

PomPoms  (08-05-2016),sajimum  (08-05-2016),SSecret Squirrel  (08-05-2016)