+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    So another drama with dd.
    Her school has changed sports uniform this year. I bought her the new jacket and tops but have decided not to buy the new track pants as the old ones still fit. She had a huge tantrum over this last week.

Anyway this morning she puts on her pants and shows me these marks on them. Looks like she drew on them with texta.
    These pants were washed and hanged up in her wardrobe since last year. I didn't outright accuse her but am suspicious she had drawn on them deliberately so I would buy her new ones.
    I have told her to wear the other pair and I will wash the marked ones. Hopefully it's not a permanent marker.

Anyway I am feeling at a loss of what to do. I don't want to accuse her if she didn't do it but I know if I ask her she will deny it. I really think she did it though.

BH-KatiesMum is offline Community Manager
    Winner 2008 - The most optimistic poster
    Winner 2014 - Most Helpful Moderator
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator
    200 Posts in a week100 Posts in a week
    I would make her wear the ones with texta on them

You would have noticed if they had marks all over them when you washed them last year ... I would definitely have my suspicions

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BH-KatiesMum For This Useful Post:

Jontu  (09-05-2016),Ngaiz  (09-05-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Punish her enough? Seriously? She made a mistake. She probably already feels bad. Let it go. She's 6. She didn't actuslly steal it as her friend hadn't got it yet. Kids lie and they make mistakes, it's part of learning and growing up.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Homeschooling4 For This Useful Post:

Jontu  (15-05-2016)

~Marigold~ is offline You make me happy, when skies are grey
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I must be a big softie, because I think your DD is cheekily gorgeous and actually pretty clever. Yes, her actions shouldn't go unnoticed and she's done the wrong thing, but it'd be something that I could see myself having a giggle over with my DH (without her seeing of course)...I'd definitely not encourage the behaviour and would not have let her keep the diary and I'd be calling her out on the texta marks on her trackies. But, it wouldn't be something that I'd be stewing over. She's 6. It's normal. Not morally right and it's our duty to instill these values in our children, but I don't think she's a bad kid in the slightest. Just a little rascal 😃

7. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to ~Marigold~ For This Useful Post:

Happymum2  (14-05-2016),Jontu  (15-05-2016),KitiK  (15-05-2016),witherwings  (15-05-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Homeschooling4 View Post
    Punish her enough? Seriously? She made a mistake. She probably already feels bad. Let it go. She's 6. She didn't actuslly steal it as her friend hadn't got it yet. Kids lie and they make mistakes, it's part of learning and growing up.
    After speaking with dh and reading the replies on here I have put it down to her being a kid and needing to learn. "Punish her" sound harsh but all I was going to do was not let her go to the party. Instead I am giving the diary away.
    And with the tracksuit eventually she admitted that she drew on it.
    I was about to buy her new ones anyway but just didn't like her trying to trick me and lie about it. I worry that she will be spoilt and not learn the meaning of no if I give in to all her demands. Long story short I did buy it but means she has given up her school snack order from the canteen for the term.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by ~Marigold~ View Post
    I must be a big softie, because I think your DD is cheekily gorgeous and actually pretty clever. Yes, her actions shouldn't go unnoticed and she's done the wrong thing, but it'd be something that I could see myself having a giggle over with my DH (without her seeing of course)...I'd definitely not encourage the behaviour and would not have let her keep the diary and I'd be calling her out on the texta marks on her trackies. But, it wouldn't be something that I'd be stewing over. She's 6. It's normal. Not morally right and it's our duty to instill these values in our children, but I don't think she's a bad kid in the slightest. Just a little rascal 😃
    I think I was just shocked at the time and thought it was a really bad thing. But after reading comments here and talking to dh I have calmed down.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    In our family we don't get punished if we tell the truth when questioned. It works really well for us 😀

11. The Following User Says Thank You to lilypily For This Useful Post:

Jontu  (15-05-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by lilypily View Post
    In our family we don't get punished if we tell the truth when questioned. It works really well for us 😀
    Dd lied multiple times when i asked about the diary.
    She only admitted it when i was about to open the present and would have got found out. Would you have punished her in this case?

rainbow road is offline look at the stars, look how they shine for you
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts

Default Dd lying - wwyd

Agree with others it's normal, I did the same at her age.

My cousin (6) tried to take money out of my wallet recently. When her mum was talking to her about it it came out that she was upset she had spent the money she saved up on something she wanted, and wanted more money.

It takes them a little while to really work out the concept of earning something, or entitlement. I clearly remember being so jealous of some of the Pressies we gave my friends!

14. The Following User Says Thank You to rainbow road For This Useful Post:

Jontu  (15-05-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    It may be a phase but that doesn't mean there shouldn't be consequences for it. If my daughter did that she would be in a lot of trouble. For starters I wouldn't have threatened that she wouldn't go to the birthday party.. she actually wouldn't have gone to the birthday party. I still would've given the birthday child the clothes but that's it.

Secondly I would be taking one of my DD's recent birthday/Christmas presents off her and taking it to the salvos. (Probably not a big one just one of the minor ones).

I know that sounds harsh but to me what your DD did was actually pretty bad. I do agree that's it's pretty normal at that age to do what she did, I just think there needs to be consquences so she doesn't do it again. I would also tell my DD that I can no longer trust her and wouldn't allow her to do jobs that involve trust until she earned my trust back.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Renesme For This Useful Post:

Jontu  (15-05-2016)