+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Unplanned/accidental home birth due you quick labour.

*background*
    35 wks and starting to stress that I'm going to end up sitting on the bathroom floor surrounded by terrified dd and 2 Ds with Dh freaking out.

We live 1 hr from hospital, last birth was an 1 1/2 hrs.
    Been having ridiculous amount of BH contractions and cramps.
    (I may be looking at an induction, but incase I'm not)

Really I'm just looking for some reassurance from anyone that has had a quick labour that ended up with bub being born at home. And if you did, what do you wish/glad you had in place for when it happened??

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    I had a home birth by accident. Kiddo came literally 30 seconds if that after my waters broke.

If I was to ever have another baby, I wouldn't birth in a hospital if there was no reason for it.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Myztiks#1Fan For This Useful Post:

kezty  (07-05-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    There's a few medical reason that homebirth just isn't something that can be 'on the cards'.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Other than in an emergency...

Thanks
    Reviews
    I thought this might happen with my second but as it turned out my waters broke early and I was admitted to hospital a day and a half before I went into labour. His labour was also double the time of my first at a whopping 2.5 hours so I had plenty of time.

I would recommend a positive birthing/calmbirth/hypnobirth class just to help relieve some of the fear you have surrounding this. Rather than focussing on how you're going to to make it to hospital, read home birth stories, look at the latest stats on home birth, plan for a home birth as well as your hospital birth and educate yourself as best you can so that if you do end up having a baby at home it won't be so frightening and you'll have everything you need (my OB helped me with this too).

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Once Upon a Time For This Useful Post:

Cant wait to be a mummy  (07-05-2016),kezty  (07-05-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    My second was very close to being an accidental home birth. I had a private midwife that came to my house & assessed me to see if/when I needed to go to hospital. When she arrived I was 8cm & started feeling pressure to push. Baby's heart rate was low so I was taken to hospital in an ambulance (hospital was only 20 mins away though). Do you have an option of having a private midwife or doula close by on call?

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Cant wait to be a mummy For This Useful Post:

kezty  (07-05-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I would recommend a positive birthing/calmbirth/hypnobirth class just to help relieve some of the fear you have surrounding this. Rather than focussing on how you're going to to make it to hospital, read home birth stories, look at the latest stats on home birth, plan for a home birth as well as your hospital birth and educate yourself as best you can so that if you do end up having a baby at home it won't be so frightening and you'll have everything you need (my OB helped me with this too).[/QUOTE]

This^^^ great advice! Before my second was born the idea of a home birth terrified me (my first was a c-section) but I think education & knowledge helps. As I was a VBAC I was supposed to be monitored etc but there was no time for that!

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Cant wait to be a mummy For This Useful Post:

kezty  (07-05-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I have quick labours but not at home but can I just note a few things.

You have done this before. You know how birth works and you can do it. Whether at home or hospital it is the same thing.

Is there a trusted friend or family member who can come distract the kids? Or if at night stay for a few hours? That way your DH can concentrate on you.

Have some supplies ready in case it happens. Some towels, bags, candles (something relaxing!).

Have a plan in place. I would call the ambulance as soon as labour begins (this was advice from the ob for me as I was facing a possible fast labour at home alone with DS while DH was at work).

Your DH needs to be calm. All you need to do is relax as much as you can.

Home birth is something that happens every day. You can do it.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to twinklify For This Useful Post:

kezty  (07-05-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Unfortunately the closest private midwife is the same distance as hospital :/ as is mother in law who would be our closest family/friend.
    Our closest neighbour who is also the owner of the farm we run, would be taking over the work while hubby helped me. And his wife would be more trouble than help (she's for lack of better terms 'high maintenence' and would likely have a mental breakdown at the stress. :/)

This is no.4 for us, so it's not really the birth that worries me, although I have had a previous shoulder distotia, but more the before and after.

I have been reading positive stories and avoiding negative ones like the plague.
    I was just hoping to hear some 'positive' unplanned stories to settle my brain. I have read plenty of the planned ones, but it's just not quite what I want to hear iykwim.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Check out Rockstar Birth Magazine on FB. They have a post today about a bub being born in the car before arriving at hospital. Xxx

16. The Following User Says Thank You to RedCreamingSoda For This Useful Post:

kezty  (07-05-2016)