+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    At our kindy families are asked to do a photo collage at the start of the year (pics of family, best friends, pets etc) and the children can look at them and talk to the staff about them etc it can help some of the kids missing mum/dad / having a bad day etc.

Not entirely sure what to suggest - my DS1 went through the separation anxiety thing around 18 months he cried every time I dropped him at daycare but only 5 minutes he was always happy there it was just drop off. That settled in time. We never had the refusing to eat thing, TT was a bit hit & miss at daycare he wouldn't do number 2s in their toilets for ages and had several accidents because of it. A few months later he was fine, the staff really helped by praising him when he made the effort etc, and he is the kind of kid that responds well to praise.

If you haven't already ask to have a meeting with his room leader and any other applicable staff and discuss your concerns. I find more often than not, the staff at our ELC are very supportive and offer help when needed. If they are aware of your concerns they can make some suggestions as to how they can help on their side.

If his anxiety is a real issue and you think he needs more help (if it gets worse/continues etc) maybe seeing a child psychologist or similar might be worthwhile? They may be able to give you some practical ideas to help with his anxiety. Our centre often advertises workshops etc to help with this kind of thing and they are run by a children's behavioural psychologist.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by VicPark View Post
    A parent sending their kid to daycare/school is rarely a simple case of *wanting* them around or not. It's far more complex - time to do other things, socialization for the kids, kids temperament, parents temperament etc etc etc
    Thank you for saying this. On a Thursday morning (kindy morning) about to drop him off for another week of this, I cried reading that earlier. Of course I want my children around me

3. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to just her chameleon For This Useful Post:

sunnygirl79  (09-06-2016),VicPark  (09-06-2016),wobbleyhorse  (09-06-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Do you use a potty or toilet at home? Is he 'private' with toileting? I am wondering whether the difference between childcare/home toilet environment worries him (DS is opposite - he goes at childcare but home is the issue. We got a potty and finally he went on the potty (big toilet is too scary still). As an anxious kid it might be too much until he goes enough times to be comfortable.

Thanks
    Reviews
    He uses the toilet, and doesn't close the door or seem to mind his brother and sister walking past. We even made a habit of every time we went out using a new toilet (just in case this was the issue) but he's fine using other toilets with me. His teachers have asked if he wants to use the big toilet (with a door) but he won't

Thanks
    Reviews
    Will he use it in childcare with you there the first time?

Its so so hard. I persevered as I was an anxious kid and adult and did not want DS to have to go through life the way I did (scared and anxious of everything/everyone).

He has improved so much. But it has taken a long time. Keep speaking with the carers and I would consider seeing GP for referral to a psych (or maybe OT can help??) for ideas on how to help his anxiety.

Oh and if food is provided at the centre can you provide some of his favourite food to try and entice him to eat?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yeah if I'm there he's fine. He went this morning with me before I left. We bring in his own food and I only pack what he eats. (everyone does, they don't provide food). Even on non kindy days I pack his lunchbox so he's used to eating out of it too.

I'm taking him to our gp next week