+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Maybe with only 2 days it's hard for your DS to settle in? That when every Thursday rocks around it's like starting new again?

Perhaps try a picture calendar for the week which shows your DS which days he will be going to school?

And a picture book (involving your DS) of the daily routine on school days (wake, dress, brekkie, teeth, shoes, car, arrive school, play at school, eat lunch at school, mum picks DS up, go home, eat dinner etc etc.... You could read it to your DS each night and he could take it to school so he knows what's happening and that he will be picked up?

I also found routine worked with my boys once arriving at daycare. Pick something it the daycare centre before you get to your DS's room (eg a picture or sign)
    And then focus on that each and every day as a 'warm up'

Good luck

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I think a picture book is a great idea! Perhaps something of yours that he needs to 'look after' for you while you are gone. And staff could make something special with him so he can give it to you/show you when you get there.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by just her chameleon View Post
    I'll have another chat to them. Thinking more about it tonight, I feel like kindy is a symptom rather than the cause iykwim? He gets so upset when he's not with me, even being a metre or two away at swimming is not ok it worries me that he won't settle in because it's not actually about kindy it's more about being away from me if that makes sense?
    My youngest DS is exactly like this. He cried at every single day care drop off for 2 yrs (he's now nearly 5 and at kindy - yr before Prep in WA), he hated swimming lessons even though I was there and I wasn't able to leave him a friends /family for babysitting as he would become hysterical...He cried at the gate for 40 mins at his Poppys place earlier this year as I had to leave him for an hr for an appt. He has got better in the last 6mths and now loves kindy, but gets upset if I have to change the dropoff routine - it makes him very anxious. He is just a super clingon Mummas boy...and it's been really tough. Not much helped to be honest...sometimes pre-warni helped, other times it made him stress more for longer before I left.
    Not much help I know - but your not alone!

Thanks
    Reviews
    His older brother has a picture calender that works well for him so the book is a great idea! I'll work on it this weekend

Thanks
    Reviews
    Just an update and another cry for help!

I made the book and he absolutely loves it. We took a heap of photos and I wrote a story to go along with it. We read it every day.

Unfortunately nothing has changed at kindy, he is still refusing to use the toilet and barely eating. I'm at the point where I'm considering pulling him out but DH is completely against the idea of pulling him out. I would try again next year when he would move into the pre-prep room.

Is this a bad idea? The risk is that he is just as bad next year when potentially he could have spent this year getting better. I'm so torn I would struggle with ny uni work if I pulled him out but I could manage, I think!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Some parts of your story are similar for me.

My DS turned 3 in march. He has been going to care since jan so we're 6mths in now.
    He only goes fridays. Every friday he gets upset as soon as he see's anything daycare related (bag, drink bottle, clothes etc) he carries on all morning telling me he is staying home.
    He kicks & screams at drop off, its so hard to leave.
    The teachers assure me he is perfectly fine within 10minutes and he has a good day there.
    However he eats the bare minimum whilst there he comes home starving and spends the next hour or 2sitting on my lap eating.

Thanks
    Reviews
    That sounds so tough @RmumR. DS does the same thing with his food. He either eats on the way home or once we get home and it's gone so quickly. He's starving!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Is it a big centre? Would he feel more comfortable in family daycare? Is he anxious in any other circumstances?

Thanks
    Reviews
    There's 3 rooms with licencing for 60 kids altogether. I think there's about 18ish kids per room. I don't know how he'd handle family daycare. I personally am not comfortable with fdc and prefer a centre though.

He has anxiety a lot :/ he screams and cries at swimming lessons for the whole time repeating "I want mummy cuddles" for 30min straight at school whenever he chooses to go around the toilet block and race me to the gate if he gets there first I come around the corner aand he's having a complete meltdown and terrified because I wasn't there.

He's fine with DH and on the very odd occasion I've left him with MIL he's been okayish but that's only because he has his older brother and sister with him I guess.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default DS and kindy issues

Its certainly no fun i sympathise with you.

My DS has started playing up at swimming lessons too, im actually pulling him out cause its just not worth the angst at this stage.

Ive considered taking him out of daycare but the teachers (one is a friends mother) assure me that other than his 5-10min kick off when i leave and his minimal eating he is perfectly fine and happy all day.

I do only leave him a short day 9am to 3pm. I was late one day and his fav carer finished before i got there and he was inconsolable.