+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Have you bought second hand jewellery?

If so, how did you have it authenticated?

I am interested in a vintage diamond ring. I would like to buy it and have it re set. It is being sold along with a valuation from a jeweller (which includes a photo).

I am considering meeting the seller at a jeweller so that they can assure me it is a real diamond. I believe they can quickly assess a diamond with an electronic diamond tester which they should have on hand.

Has anyone had any experience buying second hand jewellery. If so I would love to hear about your experience.

TheGooch is online now Winner 2014 - Newbie of the Year
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I bought a 0.5ct diamond ring from eBay really cheap. So cheap I was sure I was being stooged. Took it to my jeweller who confirmed the diamond weight and that I had a bargain!
    I think you have to be careful for sure. But if you can meet at a jeweller that would be good.
    If they're saying its a diamond, then it probably is. But make sure you're not being ripped off by a stone that's of lower quality or the size isn't accurate or its colour is not what's being promised.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by GucciDahling View Post
    I bought a 0.5ct diamond ring from eBay really cheap. So cheap I was sure I was being stooged. Took it to my jeweller who confirmed the diamond weight and that I had a bargain!
    I think you have to be careful for sure. But if you can meet at a jeweller that would be good.
    If they're saying its a diamond, then it probably is. But make sure you're not being ripped off by a stone that's of lower quality or the size isn't accurate or its colour is not what's being promised.
    Thanks for the response. Sounds like you got a good bargain.

The valuation states the size, colour and clarity of the diamond and has a photo of the ring. It's quite a distinctive old fashioned piece so unless the diamond has been taken out and replaced with a different material then I should be safe.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Anyone else?

Thanks
    Reviews
    A friend bought a sapphire and diamond ring from an estate sale, but through a reputable firm. It was a bargain. She took it to get it valued, and the jeweller came up with more than 4 times what she paid for it.

If it isn't through a firm, if you could get them to meet you at a jeweller for independent confirmation and (private) valuation (because you don't want them to increase the price if you're told it is worth more), it would be a good idea.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Yeah my MIL is an antique dealer and has her own diamond probe.

Kids have diamond earrings, I hVe rings, etc. there should be a gold stamp on back my husband knows heaps more about it than me. She can just look at it and say it's cheap **** lol 😂