+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Someone not giving up their for a pregnant lady probably means they haven't noticed the lady is pregnant, not necessarily that they are a rude a-hole.

I think sometimes it's really hard for others to know we are pregnant. Especially when they are busy with their own life and not looking (I don't eye up others when I am on public transport), we aren't *that* far along, we may naturally be on the larger side and/or it's cold and we have layers of clothing on. For every story of a pregnant lady not being offered a seat there's probably one about overweight lady/new mum
    Being offended because someone thought they were pregnant.

If someone is pregnant and doesn't have a seat then they need to say something. "Excuse me, would you mind if I have that seat? I'm pregnant and not feeling well. Apologies if you need the seat - I can ask someone else." Is it awkward doing this? Yes. Should we have to do it? Ideally not. However we can't not do it and then express concern about how we don't have a seat.

Good luck with your babies ladies!

2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to VicPark For This Useful Post:

babyno1onboard  (06-05-2016),gingermillie  (06-05-2016),PeanutsMummy  (07-05-2016),Radio  (06-05-2016),Wise Enough  (06-05-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by VicPark View Post
    Someone not giving up their for a pregnant lady probably means they haven't noticed the lady is pregnant, not necessarily that they are a rude a-hole.

I think sometimes it's really hard for others to know we are pregnant. Especially when they are busy with their own life and not looking (I don't eye up others when I am on public transport), we aren't *that* far along, we may naturally be on the larger side and/or it's cold and we have layers of clothing on. For every story of a pregnant lady not being offered a seat there's probably one about overweight lady/new mum
    Being offended because someone thought they were pregnant.

If someone is pregnant and doesn't have a seat then they need to say something. "Excuse me, would you mind if I have that seat? I'm pregnant and not feeling well. Apologies if you need the seat - I can ask someone else." Is it awkward doing this? Yes. Should we have to do it? Ideally not. However we can't not do it and then express concern about how we don't have a seat.

Good luck with your babies ladies!
    My thoughts exactly

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I've traveled lots whilst pg and with young babies on public transport and have always been offered a seat, help with my pram or groceries and just general kindness. Some commuters even put my older child on their laps on the bus as I had the baby on mine and was struggling to hold into them.

I've had great experiences in Brisbane. Or i must just look fragile and needy. Haha.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Rose&Aurelia&Hannah View Post
    I've traveled lots whilst pg and with young babies on public transport and have always been offered a seat, help with my pram or groceries and just general kindness. Some commuters even put my older child on their laps on the bus as I had the baby on mine and was struggling to hold into them.

I've had great experiences in Brisbane. Or i must just look fragile and needy. Haha.
    I was pregnant in Brisbane too. Most of the time people offered a seat. If they didn't I would polity ask and was always given one. People were generally very apologetic that they didn't offer in the first place. As VP said I think people are often wrapped up in their own little worlds (on their phone) and don't notice pregnant people or they are worried the person might not be pregnant and offend them.

Thanks
    Reviews
    While I completely agree and understand that people can be very inconsiderate, I do think it's your responsibility to ask for a seat. I can't imagine a teenager has any clue that a pregnant person needs a seat, they don't think that way because they've probably never been taught that. Even if you look very pregnant and it seems obvious, I think some people are terrified to assume. That's why they avoid eye contact. I don't think you can just stand there hoping someone will be brave enough to put themselves out there and hope they're not mistaken and offend you. Those kind people that do offer are usually people who know the feeling of not wanting to ask for a seat and feel confident in offering because they have either experienced it before or know someone who has. Sorry to be the devils advocate but hate to hear women who stand all the way because they don't want to ask. Even if you feel fine, just ask 'would anyone mind giving up their seat'. I'm only 11w so don't have any experience with this yet although I feel like I need to be sitting otherwise I feel light headed and get very hot. I'm fortunate in that there are usually seats but I think I will just start asking if there isn't one and just say I'm pregnant and not feeling well.

In saying that, it is so nice to hear some people are thoughtful enough to offer. I feel like they need to communicate public transport etiquette better and not just leave it up to a little sticker on the train that no one reads.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I was never offered a seat while I was pregnant. To be fair, I only had a very tiny bump right up until the end, and it was well hidden by my big winter jacket for most of my pregnancy. I probably just looked very unwell. One of the ladies that caught the same trains as me exclaimed rather loudly that it came out of nowhere, the first day I stopped wearing the jacket.

However, now I've got DS, people are offering seats and assistance left right and centre. DS is 17 months, so he isn't tiny either - he is fast though.
    @michellead, when I was on holiday in London, there was a heatwave, and this poor woman with a baby on board badge was standing, crammed on all sides by people. People in seats avoided her gaze. She looked like she would pass out. As soon as someone near me got up, I sat in the seat so no one else could and sent my husband to get her to come and sit down.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Tiny Dancer For This Useful Post:

NORgirl  (07-05-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I was offered seats all the time with my first bub when commuting in Sydney, especially when heavily pregnant. It was kind of awkward as a couple of times, on the way home, I've been on my bum all day in the office and I want to stand or my legs get cramps and I get a bad back. So I say no, no, it's ok and then they stand anyway and there's an empty seat right in front of me.

It's nice to be offered and yeah I get the sh!ts with people running for the priority seating and then not bothering to look around. If you are sat in those seats you could show a bit more consideration.

I always travel at the front or rear of the train to increase my chances of a seat.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I think I was about 37 weeks and was on a bus and no one gave up there seat, it didn't bother me as I wasn't huge.
    However when I was waiting for a midwife appointment the waiting room was packed with pregnant ladies and their partners, and not one bloke gave up their seat. I thought that was poor form.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Twiglets View Post
    I think I was about 37 weeks and was on a bus and no one gave up there seat, it didn't bother me as I wasn't huge.
    However when I was waiting for a midwife appointment the waiting room was packed with pregnant ladies and their partners, and not one bloke gave up their seat. I thought that was poor form.
    This has frustrated me through each pregnancy. Some people don't realise, some people are just rude

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by michellead View Post
    In London women wear a 'baby on board' badge and I have never seen anyone ignoring them, they are always offered - multiple seats!
    It is the same when I am with DS, people always offer to stand and let him sit on the tube. I am surprised to hear that simple common courtesy is gone in Australia from pp's.
    When I was pregnant with ds1 in London I was surprised that I was always offered a seat when on the underground (I didn't wear a badge just looked pregnant). When I moved to Sydney and was pregnant with ds2 and had a toddler in tow I never got offered seats. I've also had a lot of occasions where I have had to ask people to move so i can park the pushchair and got some very grumpy responses (always young or middle aged capable bodied people) and normally there have been plenty of free seats on the bus.