+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Someone offered up their seat today

I'm 24 weeks with my first and I have to say I have had a terrible time commuting. Two times I have had people push ahead of me to snatch a priority seat then sit there staring at my belly. It's ok now in the cooler weather but while it was hot my varicose veins were actually giving me a hard time and when it's cramped I hate people cramming in on my belly. The other day a boy heading towards a high school next to the train station bumped into me with his bicycle and just kept going. I was so upset I called the school and complained to the principal who was really apologetic.

anyway, today for the first time, while people on priority seats ignored me, a lady offered up her seat. It made me well up. Just that little bit of kindness.

what were your experiences using public transport when pregnant?

Does it get to you when people are rude?

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to NORgirl For This Useful Post:

Little Ted  (05-05-2016),Sweetcheeks1  (07-05-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by NORgirl View Post
    I'm 24 weeks with my first and I have to say I have had a terrible time commuting. Two times I have had people push ahead of me to snatch a priority seat then sit there staring at my belly. It's ok now in the cooler weather but while it was hot my varicose veins were actually giving me a hard time and when it's cramped I hate people cramming in on my belly. The other day a boy heading towards a high school next to the train station bumped into me with his bicycle and just kept going. I was so upset I called the school and complained to the principal who was really apologetic.

anyway, today for the first time, while people on priority seats ignored me, a lady offered up her seat. It made me well up. Just that little bit of kindness.

what were your experiences using public transport when pregnant?

Does it get to you when people are rude?
    I have not had many bad experiences. I have had a few people ignore me but usually a lovely person gave me a seat.

I actually have had an issue AFTER having bubs.

Once on a train I had DS who needed a feed. I was in a packed train and was standing BF DS. A pregnant lady gave uo her seat. Everyone else ignored me and her. I was so thankful.

Another time I had my pram and was getting on the bus. People were in the priority/wheelchair/pram seat. There were plenty of other seats but they ignored me. I had teeny DD, toddler DS and quite frankly could not collapse the pram. I had to ask them to move.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to twinklify For This Useful Post:

NORgirl  (05-05-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I was hoping on a train at 34 weeks pregnant. A woman, maybe late 40s, literally pushed me with her hands to get on the train before me. Turns out there were no seats anyway so she pushed me for no reason. And then a high school girl offered me her seat. I wanted to give the mean lady so many smug looks haha.

I used to get knocked around a bit on the train. Or stood for long hours.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Ahalfdozen For This Useful Post:

NORgirl  (05-05-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I caught the bus up to 32 weeks. Every single day people rushed past me to get in first and I was always ignored and left to stand. Although I didn't have a problem with standing (because they did pay the same amount for their fare) I was disappointed that common courtesy was gone. I gave up my seat for anther pregnant woman who appeared to be much further along than me when everyone else on the bus acted like she was invisible.
    @twinklify everytime I've been on the bus with my pram the driver has made other commuters move.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Ngaiz For This Useful Post:

NORgirl  (05-05-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yeah i was 39 weeks pregnant and nobody offered me a seat in the bus.. Even tho i was standing in front of the priority seats, and 2 young men were just trying to not look at me. I was actually the only person standing on the bus and yeah ppl looked away. I know being pregnant isn't a disability but courtesy would be muchly appreciated. I always stand for pregnant or older people. On the flip side i was trying to get to the bus stop at 37 weeks pregnant and I realised i just couldn't run and I wouldn't make it.. So clutching my stomach i walked quickly, but out of breath.. The bus driver actually waited for me and said don't worry bout the fare "just hop on love and rest up". I was SO grateful, i felt like crying.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GlitterFarts For This Useful Post:

NORgirl  (05-05-2016),Wise Enough  (05-05-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Ngaiz View Post
    @twinklify everytime I've been on the bus with my pram the driver has made other commuters move.
    its so awkward having to ask isn't it? I'would have been so grateful the driver said something!

Thanks for sharing @Ahalfdozen In a weird way it makes me feel better to know I am not alone.

Thanks
    Reviews
    When I was about 34 weeks pregnant with ds I was on a tram on the way to a hospital appointment. An elderly lady came on and nobody offered her a seat so I got up and gave her mine. She started having a go at the other passengers about how a pregnant lady was the only person to offer her a seat and that they should all be ashamed of themselves. The tram driver even said over the loudspeaker how disgraceful it was. Still nobody got up and offered me a seat, it was a very awkward tram ride after that!

13. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Happymum2 For This Useful Post:

GlitterFarts  (06-05-2016),GrabbyCrabby  (07-05-2016),KitiK  (06-05-2016),NORgirl  (05-05-2016),Wise Enough  (05-05-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I tell people to move I was pregnant with a neck injury and I wore a neck brace and people would ignore me so I would say " so which one of you are going to move so I could sit down. I used to get the same bus so often the same people and driver - he started saying he wouldn't move the bus till I had a seat.

I also do the same for the elderly and other people who might need a seat.

Prime example was a 96 year old lady who was on her way to the hospital to volunteer to keep patients company not one person stood for her I told them they should be ashamed of themselves. It was 7 am and this lady who had lost her husband 1 week earlier was catching 2 busses and 2 trains to volunteer. I did the whole what if it was your mother or grand mother or great grand mother speech I was disgusted that not one person stood up. One person even grumbled because they pay for a full price ticket and the old lady got a discounted ticket.

I just ask for a seat I don't care if they give me evil looks etc for making them stand so I can have a seat. I must likely won't see them again and if I do I don't let it bother me.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I always give up my seat to pregnant ladies... When I notice. I'm truly sorry if I don't notice, I usually have my head in a book or phone.

I know how uncomfortable it is standing with all the pressure bubs puts on you and usually was offered a seat, normally just by women though, in fact, I can't ever remember a guy offering me his seat. Hmmm

24 weeks hey?! Exciting!

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Olive Oil For This Useful Post:

NORgirl  (07-05-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    In London women wear a 'baby on board' badge and I have never seen anyone ignoring them, they are always offered - multiple seats!
    It is the same when I am with DS, people always offer to stand and let him sit on the tube. I am surprised to hear that simple common courtesy is gone in Australia from pp's.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to michellead For This Useful Post:

NORgirl  (07-05-2016)