+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Selling house - curtains?

Just wondering if it's standard to take the curtains with you when you sell a house?

When we moved in here the previous owner had removed all curtains, which was fine by me as I wanted to buy ones that matched our decor. I now have curtains that I really love (don't judge, it's totally normal to love curtains 😜) and I want to take them with us when we leave.

However, I've just been reading on the REIQ site that curtains are considered a fixture, not a removable chattel...

WWYD? Would you take the curtains anyway?? Should I bring it up with the agent or solicitor?

Apologies for the dumb question, but I've never sold a house before! 😁

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    No

Curtains usually go with the house but you can specify otherwise on the contract
    Last edited by DaveTTC; 05-05-2016 at 20:24.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveTTC View Post
    No

Curtains usually go with the house but you can specify otherwise on the contract
    This

Thanks
    Reviews
    Contract has already been signed. I had assumed that as the curtains aren't fixed they are not a fixture, but rather a chattel.

I might ask the agent to speak to the buyer as she's young, single & child free, so I'm assuming she won't be in love with the childish curtains in the kids bedrooms and will want to replace them anyway. We're happy to part with all the blinds in the rest of the windows...I just won't be able to find curtains to match the kids rooms again as they were custom made to match decor.
    Last edited by Frankenmum; 05-05-2016 at 20:37.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Frankenmum View Post
    Contract has already been signed. I had assumed that as the curtains aren't fixed they are not a fixture, but rather a chattel.

I might ask the agent to speak to the buyer as she's young, single & child free, so I'm assuming she won't be in love with the childish curtains in the kids bedrooms and will want to replace them anyway. We're happy to part with all the blinds in the rest of the windows...I just won't be able to find curtains to match the kids rooms again as they were custom made to match decor.
    Can you just buy curtains and replace them then? Take yours down and replace with something else?

6. The Following User Says Thank You to lilypily For This Useful Post:

TheGooch  (05-05-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    My first thought was the curtains would be fixtures, unless specified in the contract that you are taking them. Elijahs Mum will know for sure.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Im sure you will be able to negotiate. If the sale is important dont remove and replace without permission as it could give basis to cancel the contract

Talk to our agent and go from there

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Frankenmum View Post

I'd ask (through the real estate) if the new owner minded if you swapped the kids curtains for plain ones.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to babyno1onboard For This Useful Post:

DaveTTC  (05-05-2016),Frankenmum  (05-05-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Have just remembered that the upon viewing our new house that we're buying there were no curtains there either, the sellers have already removed them (they had just finished moving it the day we viewed). Why do we keep buying houses from curtain stealers!? Haha. Not that I mind as their curtains were pretty hideous anyway.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by littleriv View Post
    My first thought was the curtains would be fixtures, unless specified in the contract that you are taking them. Elijahs Mum will know for sure.
    Yes this - your solicitor should have confirmed these with you before preparing your contract, the inclusions list states curtains and if that box is ticked then they technically have to stay but as pp said it didn't specify exactly what curtains so as long as you replace them you will be fine - tell the agent to bring it up with th buyer to save any drama at settlement ( oh by the way Mr buyer the owners are taking the kids curtains but will replace them with similar quality before your final inspection )
    We always tell our owners any light fittings or curtains you want to keep replace them before you put the home on the market to save any dramas

13. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Elijahs Mum For This Useful Post:

Frankenmum  (05-05-2016),gingermillie  (05-05-2016),wobbleyhorse  (06-05-2016)