+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    If my brothers kid got sick during seeding or harvest there is no way he could take time off. He works ridiculous hours at this time of year.
    With farming there can be a lot of flexibility at other times of the year, but unfortunately seeding/harvest are just non-negotiable.
    If he was in a regular job I'd say it's only fair to take turns, but farming is a different kettle of fish.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rosey82 For This Useful Post:

Californication  (04-05-2016),sunnygirl79  (05-05-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    It all depends on the jobs you do.

In my case I normally take more sick says than DH when DS is sick. DH is the only person in the company that can do the work he does atm. If they have a big job/deadline he cannot take time off. If they do not have anything pressing - he takes time off.

If I were in your shoes I would take time off. I am not a farmer but I know that sowing/harvesting is time sensitive.

Maybe sit with your DH to discuss this.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    I always do as my husband doesn't have any leave entitlements

AdornedWithCats is offline Winner 2013 - Spirit of BubHub Award
    Winner 2014 - Best Username

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 12/6/15Funniest Caption400 Posts in a week300 posts in a week
    Dh is casual so doesn't get paid if he takes time off. Some of my work is casual, but most not so I take the day off.

Luckily ds mostly gets sick on days he is with Nan so neither of us have to take time off.

Eta. I would be taking it as a work from home day.
    Last edited by AdornedWithCats; 04-05-2016 at 22:09.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I've just had the last 3 days off with my kids because they are sick DH is sowing and this, and harvest are sacred. We don't expect him to be home for dinner, or bedtime, or pick kids up from the bus after school. It's s time dependant activity and you can't mess with it.

7. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to amyd For This Useful Post:

Californication  (04-05-2016),KitiK  (05-05-2016),rosey82  (05-05-2016),sunnygirl79  (05-05-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I realise for you it sucks, but I'm with your hubby on this one. We farm too and I know when it's harvest and sowing that DH can't be relied on to help at home. It's just too time critical, and loosing a day is huge during these times.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Californication For This Useful Post:

KitiK  (05-05-2016),sunnygirl79  (05-05-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews

Default OPINIONS WANTED.. Taking time off work

How old is your DS? What is the weather like can you possibly send him with hubby and have him day camp in the back of a ute in a swag parked near where hubby is working? Portable DVD player n esky of supplies he may be set but all this depends on ALOT of factors. Good luck, tricky situation even if u only work a couple of hours.

Whoops edited to add being a pre-schooler he may be too young to be left near by.
    Last edited by Missbear; 04-05-2016 at 22:59.

Thanks
    Reviews
    If it were my DH he would expect me to take the day off. He isn't a farmer but sews (vegetable) trials every week as part of his job. From my little understanding of farming, when seeds need to be sown they need to be sown and when they need to be harvested they need to be harvested. It's not like they have an office job where they can just take a leave day and pick up the slack tomorrow.

I find it incredibly frustrating he can't ever plan ahead because agriculture is so unpredictable. Weather etc affects when things need to happen and can change at last minute. When I worked FT I was always the one to take time off.

So as unfair as it is, it may need to be you. Sorry I know that sounds harsh. It doesn't mean your job is less important - it's just that it's a bit easier to take time off (the school can provide a relief teacher, class will go on). Is there absolutely no one else you can call on to assist?

Also if it does end up being you, I would negotiate now that your DH take a day off next time it's humanly possible - get it in writing and stick it to the fridge. There will be more sick days.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to sunnygirl79 For This Useful Post:

gingermillie  (05-05-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks everyone!! Very interesting to see how others think.

It will be me who takes the day off, it always is.

DS is almost 2. So still a bit young to go with Dad all day.

I went back to work 2 days/week when he was 8 months and fulltime in September last year. Poor darling has been sick quite a lot even though he only attends daycare 2 days/wk (my aunt looks after him at our house the rest of the week).

In this time DH has taken one half day off to look after him. Drives me nuts. And makes me feel as if my work is not as important.

Anyway, my opinion towards this may change when we actually benefit from all of these long hours put into the work, by then our children will most likely have left home though lol.
    I'm incredibly bitter about this at some stages in the year, at other times it doesn't worry me. Usually gets me the most during these 'busy' times.

My Dad is a farmer and told me never to marry one, I should have listened lol.

14. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Em9 For This Useful Post:

amy90  (05-05-2016),littleriv  (05-05-2016),sunnygirl79  (05-05-2016),VicPark  (05-05-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Em9 View Post
    Thanks everyone!! Very interesting to see how others think.

It will be me who takes the day off, it always is.

DS is almost 2. So still a bit young to go with Dad all day.

I went back to work 2 days/week when he was 8 months and fulltime in September last year. Poor darling has been sick quite a lot even though he only attends daycare 2 days/wk (my aunt looks after him at our house the rest of the week).

In this time DH has taken one half day off to look after him. Drives me nuts. And makes me feel as if my work is not as important.

Anyway, my opinion towards this may change when we actually benefit from all of these long hours put into the work, by then our children will most likely have left home though lol.
    I'm incredibly bitter about this at some stages in the year, at other times it doesn't worry me. Usually gets me the most during these 'busy' times.

My Dad is a farmer and told me never to marry one, I should have listened lol.
    My kids have been having the whole day at the farm from 18months old. If they get tired they climb into a tractor or ute and sleep while DH continues with what he's doing. I wouldn't do it while they're sick but when they're healthy it gives mum a break for the day. You can even start with half days - pick them up a lunch time and they sleep in the car on the way home.