+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Tips for surviving back at work

I'm after some tips (organisational, etc) on how to survive returning to work following maternity leave. My main issue will be the long long days...

I start back in 4 weeks, doing 3 days a week.
    I have a 10 month old who will go to daycare.
    DF works overseas so isn't here to help.
    The commute to/from work is 2.5 hrs (5 hr round trip). I will need to leave home at 6:15am to be at daycare when they open at 6:30am and will get home about 7:30pm. DD's daycare do not provide food so I will need to make her breakfast, lunch, dinner each day. And snacks.

My mum has agreed to pick her up from daycare as I won't get home in time and I'm hoping that once I'm back at work I'll be able to finish an hour earlier one day a week so I can pick up DD (not sure if that going to be possible, some begging may be required) and my mum will only need to do the pickup two days a week.

Someone please tell me I'm not insane?!? I'm quietly freaking out.

Please also some tips of daycare food I can prepare a few days in advance would be great! Breakfast, lunch, dinner and snack ideas

DD does not sleep well (wakes 4 times on a good night, 8 on a bad night) so I'll be doing this all while very very tried.

😱😱😱😱

Thanks
    Reviews
    Organisation is key. Even when you're dog tired, lay all the clothes (for you both), make lunches, pack bags the night before.

On Sunday's i hang my work outfits on a hanger on the back of my door, and the same with DS's so i can just grab them in the morning.

I use a yumbox for daycare, it's got 5 compartments so it's really easy to fill up with bite sized food and fruit you can do the night before. Spending one afternoon a fortnight batch cooking will save you stacks of time too, things like muffins, pikelets, mini quiches, meatballs etc. You can freeze and pull out as needed. The website one handed cooks, has some fab recipes.

Having your dinner organised on those 3 nights is really helpful, cause they'll prob feel like a marathon at first. Slow cooker or meals you've already prepared and frozen are great. Or just do easy stuff like an Omlette with vegies, pasta with sauce you've already made.

Smoothies can be great for breaky if your little one likes them, you can put banana, fruit, yoghurt etc into a NutriBullet and blend and they are quite filling and then they can drink it in the car.

Invest in a nice bottle of wine for yourself, you'll need one at night!

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Clementine Grace For This Useful Post:

babyno1onboard  (04-05-2016),NORgirl  (08-09-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Oh no ur not commuting to bris are you? That will be tough. I really wish there was a Bullet train!

Do a big cook up and freeze meals each week, for dinners and lunches for you. Similarly snacks for daycare healthy mini muffins, frittatas freeze well if your LO will eat them.
    Dont be afraid of sending packet food it's easier to prepare/pack in advance.

Get a cleaner if u havent already. If your mum can help get her to help with a load of washing per week etc.

Make sure u are set to go at start of each week - clothes washed and ironed, bags packed, meals planned etc.

I went back to work full time when ds1 was 11 mths. We were in Melbourne at the time and it was nearly 2 hour trip door to door including Childcare drop off. Drive to CC, then to train station, walk to train, 30 min train trip, walk to other side of city from station. Being organised helps a lot. We were lucky the CC provided nappies and food though.

And I had 3 coffees a day 😂

5. The Following User Says Thank You to sunnygirl79 For This Useful Post:

babyno1onboard  (04-05-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I've struggled with this so much over the past year. I haven't got it down pat but the things that help me:
    *There are thousands of other parents out there that feel as wrecked as me everyday
    *I accept that I will hate some days
    *I don't force myself to be a perfect mum - beans on toast is ok some days (I am also 11 weeks pregnant)
    *I give my everything to my little one for an hour or so til he's in bed
    *Then I look after me. Whether it be a bath, a scented candle and a book, a cuppa and a good tv show - wind down is so important! I also meditate for 10 minutes every night
    *I also have a great mumma. I pay her to clean my house and do my ironing.
    Good luck! You will do it 😊

7. The Following User Says Thank You to WinterJade For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Bake things like slices/muffins/pikelets etc on the weekend. Then freeze and take out as needed the night before. I pack everything the night before. Most of it is something from the freezer. Plus yoghurt. Plus some fruit. If you nake and take your lunch just do a huge soup/slow cooker meal and freeze.

I pack nappies/clothes in bag. Get all my clothes ready before bed too. And I shower at night.

DS also woke up lots at night at that age. I coslept. And it gets easier when you get your groove.

ETA. I felt lost and so disorganized for a while. So normal and it will get easier.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to twinklify For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Hi there, will daycare heat up food? If so, bulk cook and freeze small containers of things like spag bol ( using small pasta shells which are easier for little ones to pick up and eat), tuna mornay, mini meatballs with apple mixed in, buy some falafels and freeze. For snacks i would use yoghurt pouches. Chopped fruit and cheese

Buy lots of food containers and sippy cups as they will get left behind at daycare and get lost etc. Buy heaps of hats. Spare pair of of shoes in bac permanently.

Will yr mum take dd back to your house after pick up? If so, i would have her put dd to bed. Dont make dd wait up to see you. She will be tired. I have had so many days when i dont see my kids awake, but thats okay.

Dress bub in leggings and top the night before so shes ready to go. For the next day.

You will feel overwhelmed, tired, guilty at times. Dont be hard on yourself if that happens. X

11. The Following User Says Thank You to littleriv For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by sunnygirl79 View Post
    Oh no ur not commuting to bris are you? That will be tough. I really wish there was a Bullet train!

Do a big cook up and freeze meals each week, for dinners and lunches for you. Similarly snacks for daycare healthy mini muffins, frittatas freeze well if your LO will eat them.
    Dont be afraid of sending packet food it's easier to prepare/pack in advance.

Get a cleaner if u havent already. If your mum can help get her to help with a load of washing per week etc.

Make sure u are set to go at start of each week - clothes washed and ironed, bags packed, meals planned etc.

I went back to work full time when ds1 was 11 mths. We were in Melbourne at the time and it was nearly 2 hour trip door to door including Childcare drop off. Drive to CC, then to train station, walk to train, 30 min train trip, walk to other side of city from station. Being organised helps a lot. We were lucky the CC provided nappies and food though.

And I had 3 coffees a day 😂
    Yup!! Off to Brissie. A bullet train would be amazing. Knowing my luck one will get built just as I retire 😂

Ok so I need to bake and freeze, be organised, hire a cleaner and drink lots of coffee. I can do this. I think.

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to babyno1onboard For This Useful Post:

NORgirl  (08-09-2016),sunnygirl79  (04-05-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by littleriv View Post

Dress bub in leggings and top the night before so shes ready to go. For the next day
    Oh that's a good idea!! I would have never have thought of that.

I'll have to ask daycare about heating food, I'm clueless

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Clementine Grace View Post

Smoothies can be great for breaky if your little one likes them, you can put banana, fruit, yoghurt etc into a NutriBullet and blend and they are quite filling and then they can drink it in the car.

Invest in a nice bottle of wine for yourself, you'll need one at night!
    I'll have to try DD on smoothies. I'd never thought of making them for her. They would make a great breakfast for me too, can have it while driving to the train station.

And wine, yes. A trip to Dan's will be in order

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by babyno1onboard View Post
    Oh that's a good idea!! I would have never have thought of that.

I'll have to ask daycare about heating food, I'm clueless
    They will. When I picked up my kids around 6pm I used to request they gave them dinner at 5pm. So all I did was bath/bed.

When I did early shifts so dropped them off at 6.10am - I used to take oats and cook them in their microwave and let the carers feed them that there.

Use your commute to do your lists/banking/relaxing time. I'd do all my planning when travelling to/from work and it made it easier.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Rose&Aurelia&Hannah For This Useful Post: