+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by HillDweller View Post
    Although, I might not need to worry. I think my mum will tell everyone in the universe anyway about 12 seconds after she's allowed to. She's been banned from posting it on FB, but she might hire a billboard or something LOL
    We didn't even get a chance to tell some of our closest family this time around because MIL took it upon to tell everyone the day she found out.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Ngaiz For This Useful Post:

HillDweller  (04-05-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Before Facebook people never placed an ad in the paper or put flyers out announcing they were expecting lol.

I don't have Facebook so a moot point really but I thought it was something you share in the flesh or by phone or through the grapevine? As others said if they haven't seen/heard from you or family in 9 months how close are they really so who cares if they are miffed?

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Little Miss Sunshine For This Useful Post:

HillDweller  (04-05-2016),ICanDream  (04-05-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Little Miss Sunshine View Post
    Before Facebook people never placed an ad in the paper or put flyers out announcing they were expecting lol.

I don't have Facebook so a moot point really but I thought it was something you share in the flesh or by phone or through the grapevine? As others said if they haven't seen/heard from you or family in 9 months how close are they really so who cares if they are miffed?

Haha love this, spot on! I have had a few situations where people got a bit funny because they didn't know about something I was doing - because they didn't see anything about it on FB. Good grief, before FB you wouldn't have had a clue about ANYTHING I was doing unless I saw you!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    First of all - do want you want and don't worry about what any of us say.

Now that's out of the way - You can't say you don't like announcing things on Facebook and then turn around and make an announcement post when bub is born.

Well you can, I just think it's a bit weird/rude - like you're muddying the reasons for not announcing a pregnancy just so you can get greater impact with a baby announcement.

Don't pay attention to what I think though - my opinion doesn't count when it comes to your pregnancy!

7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to VicPark For This Useful Post:

Ladydee  (04-05-2016),SSecret Squirrel  (04-05-2016),White Mage  (05-05-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I would not be offended in the slightest if a friend didn't FB announce. All of my closest friends told me face to face, as did we.😊

I didn't make a huge fuss but I did a status announcement for my first and a pic of the due month written in the sand for my second. We both have most of our family and lots of close friends overseas and interstate so I just found it easier than a ton of calls and emails! We told immediate family and a few best friends beforehand face to face or over the phone.

I kinda feel like you're a FB-type of person or you're not? I notice a few previous posters said they wouldn't post an announcement and they don't even have a FB account... which makes sense. It's something I've been wondering lately how I kinda don't get people who have got an account and dis people who post pics and status's (not just pregnancy stuff and I went through years of infertility and several losses so I do "get it"). I was talking to a mummy-friend who was dissing another mum we know about how she always "checks-in" at her gym and posts several inspirational quotes and healthy recipes to her own wall......that sort of stuff doesn't bother me either? I just feel like, good on her, she must be on a health kick and I'm guessing the recipes are just for her to refer back to herself later on??

I feel like the day I start getting annoyed about people's status's and pictures posted, is the day I might as well delete my FB account because what's the use of having it??

9. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Ladydee For This Useful Post:

babyno1onboard  (04-05-2016),Green Cheese  (05-05-2016),ilex  (04-05-2016),Wise Enough  (04-05-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    We decided not to as we know a lot of people who are struggling with infertility. It seemed very insensitive to be so blase about it. We talked with people individually and it felt so much kinder to those struggling . It was also really nice to see peoples expressions instead of a one line comment or like on a post. It would be harder if family and friends were wide spread though. I also know a young couple who did the FB thing. It was kind of cute as they were so excited but I prefer to think of others first.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to faithandhopellove For This Useful Post:

HillDweller  (04-05-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Ladydee View Post
    I feel like the day I start getting annoyed about people's status's and pictures posted, is the day I might as well delete my FB account because what's the use of having it??
    ^this^

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ilex For This Useful Post:

JR03  (05-05-2016),Ladydee  (04-05-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I did the first time, if we get pregnant again (looking less and less likely :-( ) then I won't be. As far as I'm concerned I will be telling people as and when I see them/hear from them so if they don't make the effort they don't find out. This means my mum will probably find out when the kid turns 18 lol.

rainbow road is offline look at the stars, look how they shine for you
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Wouldn't bother me finding out on Facebook because presumably I wouldn't be close enough to catch up with them frequently enough in real life.

We announced on Facebook. Few reasons:

1) we both have family overseas who like to follow our journey and it's easier via Facebook than individual emails etc.

2) with second Bub we wanted to share the struggle we had dealing with our lost bubba as well as the elation of being pregnant with a sticky one so we tied it in together.

3) we wanted to, and they're our Facebook pages and it's our prerogative to choose to do so.

Close friends and family all knew before we announced anyway.

16. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to rainbow road For This Useful Post:

BettyV  (05-05-2016),FamilyLove  (05-05-2016),Rose&Aurelia&Hannah  (05-05-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by HillDweller View Post
    I think I'll be a bit the same! I'm not at the point of telling everyone yet but I can't help thinking how do you just bring that up in conversation with people you see but aren't really that close to? Like at work, I'm going to be in the lunch room and suddenly go "So...by the way....I'm pregnant"? Seems so weird!

Although, I might not need to worry. I think my mum will tell everyone in the universe anyway about 12 seconds after she's allowed to. She's been banned from posting it on FB, but she might hire a billboard or something LOL
    Last time I was pregnant, I was talking to a guy at work who's wife had just had a baby and they were going through hell. He said if you're smart you won't have a baby. I said it was a bit late for that as I was 32 weeks pregnant. He had no clue before I told him

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Lil Smurfy For This Useful Post:

babyno1onboard  (04-05-2016),HillDweller  (04-05-2016)