+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I don't have Facebook anymore (haven't for over 5 years now) but if I did I wouldn't be 'announcing' as its not my style. As it was I found it weird enough telling people in real life I was pregnant and only did so when it was so physically obvious lol.
    My DH has Facebook and DD is 10 months old and he has never ever mentioned her on Facebook or has any photos of her on there. I like it that way too. He's from overseas so he only told mates when he actually spoke to them so one guy he only told a few weeks ago as he hasn't spoken since she was born.
    I wouldn't be offended to find out at any point in whatever way it transpired, on the grapevine, bumping into you, whatever.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Definitely not offended by family members not posting their pregnancy announcement on Facebook itself. I have had friends who have not announced their pregnancies on Facebook and it's given them some control over people knowing the due date as well as escaping the constant "when's the baby due?", "are you STILL pregnant?!" questions. DH and I have already discussed whether we would announce our pregnancies on Facebook and we are leaning towards not.

I get more miffed when the family grapevine fails. On my dads side of the family, being all boys, the grapevine fails because of poor communication. I found out my cousin had had a baby 3 months after the fact. It just makes us think that we don't matter to them that they can't even bother to tell us.

On mums side of the family we tell each other whether it's through the family grapevine or a general text message to all. Just the other day I got an announcement text from my cousin. Was very cute.

I like to know so that I can send a card/gift once the baby is born. I get excited shopping for babies seeings as I can't buy for my own.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default The Facebook Announcement debate

If we fall pregnant this time round, I don't intend to do an announcement. I won't hide it, but just won't make a big "I'm pregnant" announcement. I'll tell family and a few close friends by phone (we live 10 hours away from everyone) but beyond that I won't worry.

ETA I don't intend to make an announcement to my friends here where I live really for a while. We get a lot of "c'mon what's one more baby" type jokes so I told hubby I intend not to mention it until my tummy gets big and it gets glaringly uncomfortable for people to avoid the question hah.
    Last edited by Ahalfdozen; 04-05-2016 at 16:25.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I haven't announced my pregnancy on FB.

I haven't made any reference to it, either.

If you're a *real* friend, you would know that I am.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Shrillian For This Useful Post:

gingermillie  (04-05-2016),HillDweller  (04-05-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    We didn't announce the pregnancy on FB, but people would have seen me pregnant toward the end in pictures. I also felt really strange telling people in real life, and actually told a few people who asked - no just getting fat.

We did announce DS's birth a few days after he was born. Mainly because most of my family is overseas and it was easy. Close family and friends got a SMS beforehand.
    Last edited by ilex; 04-05-2016 at 16:23.

Thanks
    Reviews
    We made the decision to keep both of our pregnancies off Facebook until they were born, for various reasons.
    I did however make sure that I specifically told anyone that I would want to know (i.e. Not find out on FB). It was never a secret, we didn't mind it spreading via word of mouth, but we didn't want to post about it on Facebook. Anyone who didn't know I was pregnant before we announced the birth would only not have known because they hadn't spoken to us in the past 9 months - and those people probably aren't that interested anyway.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to TaylorMade For This Useful Post:

Rose&Aurelia&Hannah  (05-05-2016)

mumbron is offline Actions speak louder than words!
    Thanks
    Reviews
    I haven't put anything on fb about my current pregnancy due to my husband being a private person and deciding that the family and friends who are important to us do know and thats how we like it.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by gingermillie View Post
    As it was I found it weird enough telling people in real life I was pregnant and only did so when it was so physically obvious lol.
    This is so me! I find it so awkward. So mainly waited for people to ask lol. Other than family and close friends. Even then I found it weird. I think I am just weird.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to twinklify For This Useful Post:

gingermillie  (04-05-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by twinklify View Post
    This is so me! I find it so awkward. So mainly waited for people to ask lol. Other than family and close friends. Even then I found it weird. I think I am just weird.

I think I'll be a bit the same! I'm not at the point of telling everyone yet but I can't help thinking how do you just bring that up in conversation with people you see but aren't really that close to? Like at work, I'm going to be in the lunch room and suddenly go "So...by the way....I'm pregnant"? Seems so weird!

Although, I might not need to worry. I think my mum will tell everyone in the universe anyway about 12 seconds after she's allowed to. She's been banned from posting it on FB, but she might hire a billboard or something LOL

13. The Following User Says Thank You to HillDweller For This Useful Post:

gingermillie  (04-05-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I definitely won't be posting it on Facebook. We're nearly at the 12 week mark and I just don't feel the need. We plan to Messenger a few people a video (rather than text) of our son saying he's going to be a big brother. But only our actual friends in case we don't see them and they find out on the grapevine. I rarely even status update so it would feel weird. And I'm with previous comments about the 'kick in the guts ultrasound pic' - too true! 😟

15. The Following User Says Thank You to WinterJade For This Useful Post:

HillDweller  (04-05-2016)