+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default The Facebook Announcement debate

I was talking to one of my friends today - who is aware I'm pregnant and is on my fb - and she asked if I thought anyone would be upset or feel left out that I didn't make an 'announcement' of my pregnancy on fb. I plan to just give birth and maybe I'll make a birth announcement from hospital, maybe I'll wait til I get home. It's the least of my worries.

I hadn't thought about it because I didn't think it was anyone elses business. I told who I wanted to tell, my immediate family and my best friend, and left it at that.

Would you be upset to learn about a new baby once its born? No heads up? I have friends on there, cousins, aunts, no idea if they know from the grapevine or not. I have pregnant friends on there too, who don't know. Would you feel a bit miffed? Asking because I honestly didn't think it would even present any problem.

After opinions. Thoughts.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Balfour For This Useful Post:

Olive Oil  (04-05-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    No, I didn't make a fb announcement with either of my pregnancies although there were pics later on where I was clearly pregnant and some statuses. I didn't hide it but didn't announce either. If I'm not close enough to be in contact with someone outside of FB then I wouldn't be upset to be out of the loop, I would just congratulate you when baby comes.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I wouldn't be concerned who was upset for not being told. You tell the people that you have the most to do with, obviously other people that you crossed paths with and the rest will find out in time. When I fall pregnant with my next, I have no intention of announcing it. If you know, you know, if not you'll find out after I give birth.

Thanks
    Reviews
    With Dd we didn't do one, in fact, we didn't even tell people other than immediate family and our close friends. Because we live in a different country to everyone there was a bit of shock but no one was upset. If they haven't heard through the grapevine then they obviously have very little to do with you and your family.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Ngaiz For This Useful Post:

gingermillie  (04-05-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I did not make a FB announcement. Barely made an announcement of the birth!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I personally can't stand fb announcements but to each his own.

I'm probably a bit paranoid, but I'd rather errr on the side of the conservative just in case something goes wrong.

to me, something as special as pregnancy is something that is shared face to face (or over the phone if face to face isn't possible), or using some other direct and personalized medium. not a general announcement blurted out to all and sundry as a matter of convenience. there's so many people on my fb I don't speak to (like girls I went to high school with etc), why would I announce something personal on fb to that kind of audience.

9. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to turquoisecoast For This Useful Post:

HillDweller  (04-05-2016),kim85  (04-05-2016),Little Miss Sunshine  (04-05-2016),mrswhitehouse  (04-05-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Balfour View Post
    I was talking to one of my friends today - who is aware I'm pregnant and is on my fb - and she asked if I thought anyone would be upset or feel left out that I didn't make an 'announcement' of my pregnancy on fb. I plan to just give birth and maybe I'll make a birth announcement from hospital, maybe I'll wait til I get home. It's the least of my worries.

I hadn't thought about it because I didn't think it was anyone elses business. I told who I wanted to tell, my immediate family and my best friend, and left it at that.

Would you be upset to learn about a new baby once its born? No heads up? I have friends on there, cousins, aunts, no idea if they know from the grapevine or not. I have pregnant friends on there too, who don't know. Would you feel a bit miffed? Asking because I honestly didn't think it would even present any problem.

You are my kind of person. I am so careful about what I put online about my children. Starts at the pregnancy/birth announcement. Their cyber footprint should be up to them when they can decide. I wouldn't want all my baby photos out there. The people who need to know get that info from me.

Stuff what anyone else thinks.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Olive Oil For This Useful Post:

turquoisecoast  (04-05-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Upset? No. Surprised? A little!

I guess it's so common to find out someone is expecting before the arrival of the baby, whether that be through status updates/the comments of others/photos showing a pregnant belly/ultrasound pics. To not have a clue someone is pregnant and suddenly making the announcement is a bit of a 'wow' thing, usually in a really good way

I'm sure the significant people in your life will know before the baby is born, so I don't think you need to be concerned.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Balfour View Post

You are my kind of person. I am so careful about what I put online about my children. Starts at the pregnancy/birth announcement. Their cyber footprint should be up to them when they can decide. I wouldn't want all my baby photos out there. The people who need to know get that info from me.

Stuff what anyone else thinks.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by rusty22 View Post
    No, I didn't make a fb announcement with either of my pregnancies although there were pics later on where I was clearly pregnant and some statuses. I didn't hide it but didn't announce either. If I'm not close enough to be in contact with someone outside of FB then I wouldn't be upset to be out of the loop, I would just congratulate you when baby comes.
    This is exactly what I'm going to do.

One of the reasons is because I know several people who have / are still having trouble TTC, just like we were. I know how I felt every time I saw one of those announcements with an ultrasound pic suddenly flash up on my FB timeline. I wanted to be excited for the person but, right or wrong, it hit me like a punch in the guts every time. It made me feel horribly conflicted (and like an awful person when I had to type a congratulations while I died inside) so I started dreading them.

I will personally contact the people I know who have been TTC for a long time to let them know I am now expecting and that I completely understand how they may feel about that. I'll also let them know I absolutely understand if they feel they can't see me for a while or make it to my baby shower because I've been in that situation. That way, when they see photos of me later on with a bump, it won't be a shock, and if I do any sort of "announcement" when the baby is born (because DH will probably want to), they will have had time to process what's happening.

I think if I'm close enough to someone, they will know, because I'll see them and tell them. I actually found it quite interesting when my cousin was pregnant - she did the same thing and it turned out half the people invited to her baby shower didn't know she was pregnant until they got the invite.....kind of shows who the friends are you actually see doesn't it! lol

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to HillDweller For This Useful Post:

rusty22  (04-05-2016),WinterJade  (04-05-2016)