+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Yeah, TV doesn't bother us. Haven't had ours connected for 11yrs so far. Just wanting something for school work research, bill paying etc and phone so we can talk to family and for emergencies etc esp with no mobile reception

Is satellite expensive? what is the quality/service like?
    Last edited by lolly137; 06-05-2016 at 12:50.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by lolly137 View Post
    Yeah, TV doesn't bother us. Haven't had ours connected for 11yrs so far. Just wanting something for school work research, bill paying etc and phone so we can talk to family and for emergencies etc esp with no mobile reception

Is satellite expensive? what is the quality/service like?
    The satellite dish at our place isn't working, and we couldn't justify the cost of getting it going again at this stage (roughly $700 for repair and call out fee). Hence why we just use our Telstra phones/iPad. We use it for the same thing you do (school research, farm research etc and paying bills). We aren't massive users of Internet but we do need it, but using the hotspot suits us fine at this stage.

You could always just ring around if you want to know satellite internet prices, to see if it'd be worth the set up cost. Not sure if they're a national service, but the company who put our satellite up is Activ8me. Not sure if Telstra does satellite internet.

TheGooch is offline Winner 2014 - Newbie of the Year
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    We currently only have 4g as an option for Internet. So we're paying $160pm for 25gig! Drives me mad!
    Apparently there is another satellite due to be switched on May/June this year but all info I've been given has been that it will be slow and expensive. I don't know how true that is, but we're going to wait and see what happens before committing.!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by GucciDahling View Post
    We currently only have 4g as an option for Internet. So we're paying $160pm for 25gig! Drives me mad!
    Apparently there is another satellite due to be switched on May/June this year but all info I've been given has been that it will be slow and expensive. I don't know how true that is, but we're going to wait and see what happens before committing.!
    Is that the upgrade thing? I get emails from activ8me about the satellite upgrade but it'll probably still be expensive for very few gigs. It's the only downside to living rural.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Update, we have been sight seeing a few areas over the last few weeks, and have found a property that meets everything we want. DH sister, hubby want to purchase with us (500 acres) cause they want to get out of where they are too.

So we now have the fun of looking for finance (we are all planning on keeping and renting out our current homes).

For those that have done this, how did you find the finance side of things?
    Last edited by lolly137; 18-06-2016 at 12:24.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by lolly137 View Post
    Update, we have been sight seeing a few areas over the last few weeks, and have found a property that meets everything we want. DH sister, hubby want to purchase with us (500 acres) cause they want to get out of where they are too.

So we now have the fun of looking for finance (we are all planning on keeping and renting out our current homes).

For those that have done this, how did you find the finance side of things?
    Finance was hard for us. For a starters, DP is self employed. Secondly, not all banks will finance rural properties. Shop around before you commit to anything, and make sure you are eligible for the amount you need. Luckily we had more than 50% deposit so at least that part was sorted. I think you need more deposit than residential properties.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Just want to add that our interest rate, due to being rural and a low doc loan (see above), is 7%. It's ridiculous. Thankfully we only owe $140k so our repayments are only $1300 per month.