+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Knock-down-rebuild

Has anyone here done a KDR before and if so, would you mind telling me about your experience? Particularly if you used one of these package home companies such as masterton, Metricon, Eden brae, Montgomery, wisdom homes, Clarendon etc..

Mainly I wanted to know

1) what was the time line like from contacting the builder to completion

2) how much did the whole thing cost:
    a: the knock down part
    b: the construction of the house (original base cost)
    c: the added extras

3) what was the quality like? were you happy with the final result?

4) overall did you find it very stressful or pretty easy

Thanks
    Reviews
    I have only ever built on vacant blocks so I am sorry I can't help personally. But I wanted to let you know about the Home One website. They have a fantastic forum for building and renos etc. There's a specific section for knockdown rebuilds too so I am sure you will find heaps of people who have done the same

Good luck, how exciting! I love building new homes!!

3. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to FUSSY For This Useful Post:

Chazrity  (04-05-2016),LlamaMa  (05-05-2016),witherwings  (04-05-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I've knocked a house down but haven't rebuilt and it cost $16,000 it had asbestos though. SO expensive. 😱😱

5. The Following User Says Thank You to monnie24 For This Useful Post:

witherwings  (04-05-2016)

SpecialPatrolGroup is offline T-rex is cranky until she gets her coffee.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Following. We are looking at renovating but I can't help but wonder if this is a better idea for us.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to SpecialPatrolGroup For This Useful Post:

witherwings  (04-05-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by monnie24 View Post
    I've knocked a house down but haven't rebuilt and it cost $16,000 it had asbestos though. SO expensive. 😱😱
    Thanks for your reply! That is a lot cheaper than I expected! Can I ask where in Australia you are? I wonder if it's a different cost on average across different states & regions..

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by FUSSY View Post
    I have only ever built on vacant blocks so I am sorry I can't help personally. But I wanted to let you know about the Home One website. They have a fantastic forum for building and renos etc. There's a specific section for knockdown rebuilds too so I am sure you will find heaps of people who have done the same

Good luck, how exciting! I love building new homes!!
    Thank you! I will go to that site right away!

When you built homes in the past, did you use a large company like masterton or did you get your own designs made and find a smaller builder to do the work? I'm wondering if this is a better option but it just seems more stressful.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I haven't done a knock down rebuild but we built our house last year and used Rawson. There were definitely frustrations with their process but overall we knew where we stood and the house was completed on time to a very high standard. Our neighbour on the other hand chose to go to a small builder (no display home or anything) they should have been in last month, as it stands the roof isn't even completely on. Let me know if you have specific Qs.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to PinkTutu For This Useful Post:

witherwings  (05-05-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by witherwings View Post
    Thank you! I will go to that site right away!

When you built homes in the past, did you use a large company like masterton or did you get your own designs made and find a smaller builder to do the work? I'm wondering if this is a better option but it just seems more stressful.
    Smaller boutique builder. We went to the big ones but weren't happy with the hidden costs and cookie cutter designs ( beautiful homes but not unique enough for us). We love our new home and that it was designed specifically for us.

Best bet is to visit some display villages and get some design ideas. Go to some of the bigger project home builders and get quotes and then go to a boutique builder as well. Work out who gives you best quality and value for money. Who will be able to build you your dream home!

Most of all, enjoy the journey

13. The Following User Says Thank You to FUSSY For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    We did a KDR a couple of years ago.
    Overall it was a fairly positive experience.
    We initially bought with the intention of renovating but in the end we decided it would be a better use of money to re-build rather than renovate an old, weatherboard house that hadn't been well maintained for the last 20yrs or so.

We built with a project home company and we took about 18 months from first thinking about the possibility of rebuilding to choosing a builder. We spent many a weekend looking at display homes, discussing what we liked & didn't like and had a pretty good idea of what we wanted before we finally approached 2 companies to ask for a tender.

The home one website was great because it helped us know what upgrades were pretty much required (things like increasing the number of power points in each room & upgrading to frosted/obscure glass in bathrooms) and we knew what nice upgrades we really wanted (hardwood floor, not tiles, downstairs, colorbond roof etc) so we could make sure we had these included in the tenders. This made it easier to compare the prices offered by each builder because the "standard inclusions" vary so much that you can't really compare them on their base prices.
    I hope this is helpful.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Chazrity For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Well it was a bit cheaper becaus half the house was burnt down. In south Australia. But still charged asbestos rates/rubbish removal because it all had to be taken away

17. The Following User Says Thank You to monnie24 For This Useful Post: