+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    We use an oil column heater with a thermomstat to keep our DS's room between about 19C and 21C. They're safe as long as they are electrically sound and you position them out in the open away from any potential ignition sources (eg. curtains). And of course, turn it off if you're not home.

Once your LO starts crawling, it's also important to make sure they can't access the heater, in case of burns or pulling it over onto themself.

Target had some for sale last year.

Oh, and be prepared for a higher power bill!

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Gentoo For This Useful Post:

Reneeharry  (09-05-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Reneeharry View Post
    That's what dh is talking about buying It's good to know that's what others use thankyou. He had one in his room when he was younger but wasn't sure if they were safe. I'll buy one very soon.
    they're safe so long as there's nothing too close or touching them. common sense really. and they're much safer than those ones where the exposed element heats up. they're a house fire waiting to happen!

4. The Following User Says Thank You to turquoisecoast For This Useful Post:

Reneeharry  (09-05-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    We use an oil heater for DD's room and we're about to buy one for DS's he sleeps with singlet, PJs, grobag, blanket, quilt but i think he is getting cold still. When DD was little we ended up going Bonds wondersuit and then flannel PJs over the top then sleeping bag.

We have ducted gas heating but we just moved and I'm petrified of getting a large gas bill!

6. The Following User Says Thank You to smallpotatoes For This Useful Post:

Reneeharry  (09-05-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    we have ducted gas heating too. our winter gas bills are usually a few hundred. compared to around $100 in summer. not ideal but our house gets freezing.

which reminds me, I really need to move the column heater upstairs!

8. The Following User Says Thank You to turquoisecoast For This Useful Post:

Reneeharry  (09-05-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quick question. For anyone who doesn't use a heater and the room temp changed a bit overnight, do you change bub during the night?
    Here in Sydney our house is still pretty warm and most evenings ds room is about 24-25c. He generally gets quite warm so I've been putting him in a long sleeved vest and 1 tog sleeping bag. Last night though between 1-4 he was very unsettled and at 4 I changed him into a 2.5 tog bag as the temp had dropped to 22c. Anyone else do this? I think starting him in 2.5 tog would be too hot.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I put my kids in a singlet, thin bonds suit then a fluffy bonds suit then there gro suit but this year they are in beds 😡😳

So I've got thicker quilts, under lay etc. it's already 4-5 degrees overnight here 😨

Thanks
    Reviews
    I put her to bed in a singlet and onsie/bonds suit and a 1 tog bag. Her room is showing 21ish.

I change her into a thick winter bag before midnight when she wakes up as she's too cold otherwise.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to amiracle4me For This Useful Post:

nh2489  (07-05-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by nh2489 View Post
    Quick question. For anyone who doesn't use a heater and the room temp changed a bit overnight, do you change bub during the night?
    Here in Sydney our house is still pretty warm and most evenings ds room is about 24-25c. He generally gets quite warm so I've been putting him in a long sleeved vest and 1 tog sleeping bag. Last night though between 1-4 he was very unsettled and at 4 I changed him into a 2.5 tog bag as the temp had dropped to 22c. Anyone else do this? I think starting him in 2.5 tog would be too hot.
    We vary between 1 & 2.5; 21/22 is where I'd swap up or down.

So 22 is right on the cusp for me.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to ilex For This Useful Post:

nh2489  (07-05-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Subbing, thanks OP.

Thanks
    Reviews
    DD is 8w, and sleeps in our room. We don't have hearing and the room temp drops overnight, has got down to 13degrees in there already this year
    If it drops below about 18 in our room dd sleeps in a long sleeve singlet, grosuit, 2.5 tog ergo pouch, cotton or bamboo swaddle over the top and a cotton blanket over all of that. As out gets colder will swap the cotton blanket for a woolen one and maybe think about using some heating, though I will set it for around 16degrees to save money and do I can layer dd up without worrying about overheating her

ETA- if it gets cold overnight I double the blanket or swap to woolen.