+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by wobbleyhorse View Post
    My DD is currently wearing a singlet body suit under a long sleeved, long legged onsie with a 2.5 tog sleeping bag.

I have an electric heater in her room with a Heatermate set to 20 degrees. The Heatermate is a digital thermometer that automatically turns the heater on and off as the room changes temperature. Saves $ and energy.
    Yes I was going to recommend the heatermate too! We got one for DDs room last year and it is awesome.
    We haven't put the heater on yet (in Adelaide and her room hasn't gone under 19 yet). We will set her room to 20 this year I think. The heatermate will cycle the heater on and off to maintain that temp, last year we used a convection heater but it needs replacing and I think I'll get a panel heater.
    DD is in a wondersuit and 3.5tog ergopouch sleeping bag. Also have a 3.5tog plum sleeping bag with arms. Prefer the ergo as the filling is cotton not polyester. The ergo website has a good temp guide with what clothing to wear.
    Also get a groegg so you can easily check temp.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to gingermillie For This Useful Post:

NORgirl  (05-05-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    We were in Canberra last year. It was cold starting in March. DS was around 4 months old. By April, we'd perfected our technique. We had DS in a bonds zippy, a singlet, and a 2.5 tog sleeping bag. Around 2 am I'd fold the mitten parts over his hands. We put an oil column heater in his room with a heatermate, set to 21 degrees. We also put a smoke detector in his room. We essentially left the heater on 24/7 (except that the heatermate did it's thing, so that was fantastic).

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Tiny Dancer For This Useful Post:

binnielici  (06-05-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    For an Adelaide winter I would put my girls in a singlet, onesie, swaddled and blanket over the top as well as the heater going. If you don't have ducted heating or a good heater, just a little column heater with the bedroom door left open should be enough.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I don't think it's really cold in Adelaide yet, like tonight is not that cold. Unless it's just me.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Nafsika View Post
    I don't think it's really cold in Adelaide yet, like tonight is not that cold. Unless it's just me.
    Nope I don't think Adelaide has been cold yet. My DH hasn't been getting that memo, I keep waking to the ducted on over night argh.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thank you for all your replies I've finally been able to read them.
    Bubs is already wearing a singlet, bonds wonder zippy, swaddled then knit blanket folded over then her Quilt tucked in to the cot.
    I'm going to buy a gro bag and buy an oil heater. We have 2 split systems and a gas heater but her rooms down the back so she'll freeze.

Thank you everyone

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by turquoisecoast View Post
    we have a gro egg and last night ds started whinging, which it turns out he was cold (egg said 19C). I find even though they say optimal temp for bubs to sleep is like 18-21, that's still quite chilly. I find 18 indoors cold as an adult lol

our heating is also expensive to run as its not zoned although we still do it anyway. we do have a small bar heater which I'll bring upstairs and use instead though as we can't be running the heater all night all through winter. the gas bill will be ridiculous.

same as what sunny said, ds wears a singlet, bonds zippy suit (wonder suit) and if it's a bit warmer we use a muslin swaddle or if it's colder, the ergo cocoon (forget the tog but I think it's only like a 1.0 as he was born in feb). the bag is already getting a bit small for him so I think we will buy a 2.5 next given we're going into winter.

the room thermometer will definitely be a good starting point though if you're not already using one.

just buy a small bar heater for DD's room, there's no value in heating the whole house (unless of course you really want to lol). the bar heaters are the best as they're the most economical (use convection heating) and they're the safest. please don't buy any of those cheap ones that the element heats up (the ones that glow bright orange), they're a fire hazard and they don't actually heat the room, they just heat whatever is in front of them. and the hot air fan blower things are just a waste of money. bar heater all the way 👍🏻
    Do you mean an oil heater turqs? I'll definitely buy a gro egg too to use as a thermometer

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Reneeharry For This Useful Post:

turquoisecoast  (06-05-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Dressing bubs for bed in winter help

Quote Originally Posted by Reneeharry View Post
    Thank you for all your replies I've finally been able to read them.
    Bubs is already wearing a singlet, bonds wonder zippy, swaddled then knit blanket folded over then her Quilt tucked in to the cot.
    I'm going to buy a gro bag and buy an oil heater. We have 2 split systems and a gas heater but her rooms down the back so she'll freeze.

Thank you everyone
    We're in Melbourne, and our house can get pretty cool at night. Babies room is between 18-22 usually.

Within the last month we've started using the Ergo Sleep Suit and think they are amazing! The 1.0 tog has short sleeves, and the 2.5 has long. The best thing with these is that they convert from a bag, to legs once bubs can stand (like ours). They're also generous sized and can be worn for a long time.

Baby Bunting has the 1.0 tog on clearance for $49.95.

ImageUploadedByThe Bub Hub1462482845.787431.jpg

12. The Following User Says Thank You to ilex For This Useful Post:

Reneeharry  (06-05-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Reneeharry View Post
    Do you mean an oil heater turqs? I'll definitely buy a gro egg too to use as a thermometer
    yeah those oil heater things that are on wheels and are made up of the metal bars like this http://www.harveynorman.com.au/delon...w&gclsrc=aw.ds

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by turquoisecoast View Post
    yeah those oil heater things that are on wheels and are made up of the metal bars like this http://www.harveynorman.com.au/delon...w&gclsrc=aw.ds
    That's what dh is talking about buying It's good to know that's what others use thankyou. He had one in his room when he was younger but wasn't sure if they were safe. I'll buy one very soon.