+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Dressing bubs for bed in winter help

I need you help, what do you dress bubs in at night during winter when they sleep in their own room? I'm getting worried she will be cold. Do you heat the house up or their room etc.

Thanks
    Reviews

My 2 went into sleeping bags pretty early on (although dd was in a love to dream swaddle for longer than ds). For winter they had a 2.5 tog sleeping bag (grobag) and I would put a singlet, winter pjs/onesie and socks on. Our house has gas ducted heating in every room so that would always be in until bedtime. It can get very cold where we live (0/-1 degrees) overnight so on particularly cold nights I would put the oil heater on in their rooms (low heat, just enough to keep the chill out). Have you got a room thermometer?
    Last edited by Happymum2; 03-05-2016 at 23:54.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Depends where you live OP? In Brisbane my DD had a singlet, long sleeved onesie and 2.5 tog sleeping bag in the middle of winter.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to TreeGirl For This Useful Post:

NORgirl  (05-05-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Reneeharry View Post
    I need you help, what do you dress bubs in at night during winter when they sleep in their own room? I'm getting worried she will be cold. Do you heat the house up or their room etc.
    When in Melbourne we used the grobag system but I think most brands of baby sleeping bags use similar (TOG). If you have a room thermometer you can work out what they should be wearing based on recommendations- often they come with a little cardboard thermometer and tell you exactly what Bub should be wearing (and applicable thickness of grobag ie 2.5 tog are the winter ones). From memory DS1 was in a singlet, full onesie (ie bonds wondersuit) and a 2.5 tog grobag. We had the thermostat (heating) set at 16 so the heater would kick in if it dropped below that (that's pretty cold, but in Melbourne our heating would run all night it was very expensive).
    I would use some sort of heater once the room starts dropping below 16/18 at night but make sure you monitor the temperature as you don't want Bub overheating. A tiny room could get up to 25 pretty quick with a heater.

If you're still swaddling I would use a Swaddle plus a warm blanket (safely tucked in firmly at foot of cot, no higher than shoulders) or maybe double Swaddle.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I put thermals on my kids and socks. So it's singlets, thermal and normal pjs on top.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week

we have a gro egg and last night ds started whinging, which it turns out he was cold (egg said 19C). I find even though they say optimal temp for bubs to sleep is like 18-21, that's still quite chilly. I find 18 indoors cold as an adult lol

our heating is also expensive to run as its not zoned although we still do it anyway. we do have a small bar heater which I'll bring upstairs and use instead though as we can't be running the heater all night all through winter. the gas bill will be ridiculous.

same as what sunny said, ds wears a singlet, bonds zippy suit (wonder suit) and if it's a bit warmer we use a muslin swaddle or if it's colder, the ergo cocoon (forget the tog but I think it's only like a 1.0 as he was born in feb). the bag is already getting a bit small for him so I think we will buy a 2.5 next given we're going into winter.

the room thermometer will definitely be a good starting point though if you're not already using one.

just buy a small bar heater for DD's room, there's no value in heating the whole house (unless of course you really want to lol). the bar heaters are the best as they're the most economical (use convection heating) and they're the safest. please don't buy any of those cheap ones that the element heats up (the ones that glow bright orange), they're a fire hazard and they don't actually heat the room, they just heat whatever is in front of them. and the hot air fan blower things are just a waste of money. bar heater all the way 👍🏻

8. The Following User Says Thank You to turquoisecoast For This Useful Post:

Reneeharry  (05-05-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Depends on the age and location. We are in hunter so at the moment temps about 7 overnight. My girls share room and we have a small oil heater with thermostat that is set to about 22 degrees and comes on about 1am at the moment and my 15 month old is a hot sleeper she wears: bonds zippy wonder suit, 2.5 tog sleep bag, 1 sheet, I waffle she is nice temp and doesn't move all night. My 2 year old is in a bed and wears zippy wonder suit, 1 sheet, 1 cotton (hospital like) blanket, 1 cotton knit throw and a light blanket. She is warm for now but I will start putting a singlet on her soon. Much better with layers you can add and take off and always recommend heating a room even if it times to come on about 3-4am for a few hours.

Just want to add if you put an individual heater in room always install a smoke alarm above door and never close door we have a door stopper so there is a small gap and there's another smoke alarm in the hall outside their bedroom.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I think it's easier (but not cheaper) to run a small column heater than add blankets as there is no guarantee they stay on. It's very easy to warm the room too much so I have it on very low to take the chill off.

I personally find the gro bag recommendations a little too conservative (they are obviously worried about overheating) so usually dress for 1-2 degrees colder than what they say.
    Ergo arms are a godsend, stop their arms from freezing if in a sleeping bag.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Subbing DS3 is due mid August. But I remember our first winter/spring in Canberra last year and we were still getting -5 overnight in September!

Thanks
    Reviews
    My DD is currently wearing a singlet body suit under a long sleeved, long legged onsie with a 2.5 tog sleeping bag.

I have an electric heater in her room with a Heatermate set to 20 degrees. The Heatermate is a digital thermometer that automatically turns the heater on and off as the room changes temperature. Saves $ and energy.