+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default Working mums advice...

I'm starting a new job soon, 4 days a week with a commute of about 1hr15min. So I'll be out of the house at 7am and home at about 6:30. I've been a SAHM for 2yrs so it'll be a big change.

I'm really worried about how everyone will cope with the adjustment. The kids are used to me being around all the time. DS doesn't sleep through the night so I'm worried about being exhausted. I'm sad that I won't see the kids as much during the week.

How do you and your kids handle both parents working?

My kids will be in daycare 3 days a week, DH is home on Wednesdays and I'll be home Fridays. So they'll have 2 days at home with one of us.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi ☺️

4 days a week sounds like a good balance and it's great your hubby is home one day too.

I've just started full time at work after being on leave and part time before that so a fair adjustment for us too and it is a juggle. I just find I have to be pretty organised the night before getting bags and lunches ready etc and get an early night to get up early and shower etc before the kids are up. It's very busy but I love the quality time we get when we sit down for dinner at the end of the day. Before when I was with them all day I would be exhausted and rushing them into bed. I do miss them but that's a good thing I think because I appreciate them more and spend quality time with them. I also have made a big deal about one big thing we'll do on the weekend ... The other weekend it was the movies with my boys (4 & 3) and this weekend we'll be heading for a bush walk and picnic so I've been talking to the boys about that.
    It's been an adjustment for them (not my 11 month old as she's too little to know and a very cruisy baby) as they're in care more now but I just try and be positive and explain to them why I'm working full time now and the benefits for the family. I also am really trying hard not to focus on feeling guilty and just not going down that mummy guilt path but it's hard!!
    Ultimately it's working for us so far as I'm a lot happier and love my job and really making the most of my time with the kids.
    It's crucial to have a supportive hubby and share the load 50/50 😊

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    You will be exhausted....but you'll get through it and you'll adjust.
    You cope by giving the kids something to look forward to...so plan a day that's just for family time and dedicate the time to them.
    Be organised...make meals on weekends ( make it a family affair...everyone in the kitchen together), that will free up your evenings heaps to have more time with the kids, and you'll be able to go to bed earlier as there'll be less mess.
    You and your kids will be fine ☺

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Full House For This Useful Post:

harvs  (03-05-2016),hazzyj  (03-05-2016)

harvs is offline Winner 2014 - Spirit of BubHub Award
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/4/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 2/4/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 19/3/15Busiest Member of the Week200 Posts in a week
    Hey, congratulations on your new job! It's nice seeing you around the hub again too.

I agree with PPs. It's totally exhausting at first. When I went back full time DS was still waking at least twice overnight. You learn to cope and to prioritise. If you can afford a cleaner I'd highly recommend it.

Finding ways to do anything in 'bulk' is a good way to free up some time to spend with the kids and make evenings run more smoothly. I do a bulk cook about once a month/fortnight when FOB has DS and it makes me more available for the couple of hours we have together in the evenings.

Also, getting everything organised the night before, no matter how buggered you are, helps keep the stress low in the morning rush. If you are able to, I'd leave a few minutes earlier at first to help your kids settle in to cc before you leave. I've just recently started allowing ten minutes in the mornings to sit and read stories with DS. It's made him cope better when I leave which makes my drive to work much less teary!

Good luck with it all. It's a big change, I know.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to harvs For This Useful Post:

hazzyj  (03-05-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'll definitely be organized with meals, I'm already a batch cooker! I think I'm just really worried about being away from the kids so much. DS has finally settled into daycare and is happy at drop-off so I'm not too worried about that. He's very attached to me though and I find that he is very clingy/unsettled at night when he's been away from me. DD is a bit older and I can explain it to her more easily, but she's off to school next year which brings a whole bunch of new challenges I'm sure!
    @harvs - it's nice to know I was missed I was lurking but not posting much for a while.