Closed Thread
Page 25 of 106 FirstFirst ... 1523242526273575 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Rubywoohoo View Post
    I found my accommodation through airbnb - $670 for 12 nights at The Quadrant (for two of us).
    My god, so cheap! The cheapest we've found for the quadrant is 117 per night. The cheapest on airbnb is 1469 for 11 nights!!!!

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Petulia For This Useful Post:

Rubywoohoo  (22-05-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Oops, my mistake - it's $670 for 11 nights, not 12. Still pretty good though! I used airbnb and map searched. There are still some pretty cheap / nice looking ones available in the area.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Rubywoohoo View Post
    Oops, my mistake - it's $670 for 11 nights, not 12. Still pretty good though! I used airbnb and map searched. There are still some pretty cheap / nice looking ones available in the area.
    Still damn good! We looked on airbnb too and it seems like you got the good deal, because there were only 4 left and the cheapest was the 1469. We ended up getting it cheaper through another website but it was still about 1200. I thought it was off peak time! I still wanted to stay at the quadrant because I have a bit of a phobia about staying in hotels and I know others have recommended it. Anyway, I think the problem was it took so long to get the donor cleared and our plan that it really limited us. We couldn't get it for a 12th night so are staying at the Vineyard for our last night Were arriving on the 12th and leaving on the 24th. Thgought we should push it out a few days just in case anything is delayed. We took the advice to get a car through rentalcars.com and will just use google maps on our phone for GPS. Now we have to get some luggage!
    I'd love some tips from others who have been to SA about tipping, how much is appropriate, do we tip everyone? I've also heard about people offering to be 'car guards' for a small tip watching your car while you're gone (e.g., if you drive somewhere). Is it a good idea to do that? Also, I've heard there can be beggars, is it advisable to give them money or not?????

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Petulia For This Useful Post:

HB13  (22-05-2016),Rhino  (24-05-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Petulia View Post
    Still damn good! We looked on airbnb too and it seems like you got the good deal, because there were only 4 left and the cheapest was the 1469. We ended up getting it cheaper through another website but it was still about 1200. I thought it was off peak time! I still wanted to stay at the quadrant because I have a bit of a phobia about staying in hotels and I know others have recommended it. Anyway, I think the problem was it took so long to get the donor cleared and our plan that it really limited us. We couldn't get it for a 12th night so are staying at the Vineyard for our last night Were arriving on the 12th and leaving on the 24th. Thgought we should push it out a few days just in case anything is delayed. We took the advice to get a car through rentalcars.com and will just use google maps on our phone for GPS. Now we have to get some luggage!
    I'd love some tips from others who have been to SA about tipping, how much is appropriate, do we tip everyone? I've also heard about people offering to be 'car guards' for a small tip watching your car while you're gone (e.g., if you drive somewhere). Is it a good idea to do that? Also, I've heard there can be beggars, is it advisable to give them money or not?????
    I will also be interested in hearing about the car guards and tipping etc! It's our first time going over so don't really know what to expect.

We ended up getting 3 different houses to stay in while there, as my parents are coming too to have a holiday plus my 3 year old so we looked at 3 bedroom houses through Airbnb. Ended up around $80-$100 per night for each couple so I thought that was pretty cheap. The first week there we are staying out closer to tabletop mountain area, in Kalk Bay? My dad got on board with the organizing, he's very excited about it all so I've just agreed when somewhere looks nice. It's around half an hour drive from clinic but seeing as we only go for 2 appointments I figured it's fine.
    We are going to stay for 3 nights in the wineries region in between egg retrieval and transfer then back closer to centre of cape town for our last 5 nights. Getting very excited!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Egg Donation in South Africa #13

Yes pay the car guards. Better than upsetting them and risking something happening to your car. We got more and more generous with the tips as the trip progressed as we were trying to get rid of coins but car tips were the equivalent of maybe $1 ? We tended to give beggars food if we had some, rather than money.
    I think standard tip in restaurants was 10% from memory and well worth it for the incredibly cheap food and drinks and excellent service. One guy that drove me to CFC got stuffed around when he tried to pick me up, they wouldn't let him in the building (because he was a 'dark' local I'd say) and for about 45 minutes I waited not knowing he was trying to get to me and he was so frazzled poor fella I gave him about the equivalent of $20. Should have seen his face light up 😃
    Last edited by JulieMalooley; 22-05-2016 at 14:57.

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to JulieMalooley For This Useful Post:

HB13  (22-05-2016),Petulia  (22-05-2016),Rhino  (24-05-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yes tip the car guards, its such a small amount to us but its their livelyhood. Inwas advised not to guve children money even though they pull at your heartstrings because it gives them more reason not to go to school. Tip 10% for restaurants etc. If you find a good taxi driver, someone who drives well and is friendly and you feel comfortable ask him for his number and ask if he minds you calling him next time you need a drive. I found a lovely guy who was very friendly and i called him any time i needed a taxi. It was especially handy for me on transfer day when i had him the whole day and he drive me from V&A, to Claremont for transfer, to seapoint for acupuncture, then back to Claremont, and then back to V&A. It was a long day-from about 9am to 6pm. He quoted me something like 600 or 700 rand. I gave him 1000 rand because he took a lot of stress out of the day by just waiting around for me all day and driving me here there and everywhere. We will be calling him again when we go back in 4 weeks. Hopefully he still lives in CT.

10. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to ECM1981 For This Useful Post:

HB13  (23-05-2016),JulieMalooley  (23-05-2016),Petulia  (23-05-2016),Rhino  (24-05-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Travel adaptor plugs anyone???
    Is it the three pins with the top one being larger than the two bottom ones?

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Egg Donation in South Africa #13

Quote Originally Posted by HB13 View Post
    I will also be interested in hearing about the car guards and tipping etc! It's our first time going over so don't really know what to expect.

We ended up getting 3 different houses to stay in while there, as my parents are coming too to have a holiday plus my 3 year old so we looked at 3 bedroom houses through Airbnb. Ended up around $80-$100 per night for each couple so I thought that was pretty cheap. The first week there we are staying out closer to tabletop mountain area, in Kalk Bay? My dad got on board with the organizing, he's very excited about it all so I've just agreed when somewhere looks nice. It's around half an hour drive from clinic but seeing as we only go for 2 appointments I figured it's fine.
    We are going to stay for 3 nights in the wineries region in between egg retrieval and transfer then back closer to centre of cape town for our last 5 nights. Getting very excited!!
    Def pay the car guards, as others have mentioned, it is their livelihood and they take their "job" very seriously, and is usually significantly cheaper than if you were paying for parking.

Also agree that tipping should be somewhere in the 10-15% range, and more if the service is off-the-charts stellar, although I tend to be a little too generous at home with tipping and similarly so when I'm away and in a more carefree, more relaxed, more thankful mental space, about life in general.

I love South Africans (not the least because I, myself, was born there some almost 45 years ago ...!) but because I find them to be wonderfully friendly and genuinely helpful people. They really will try to assist, when and wherever possible, and will endeavour to make your stay most enjoyable.

Where about are you staying in the winery region??

13. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to cjocoh71 For This Useful Post:

Caesardust  (23-05-2016),Petulia  (23-05-2016),Rhino  (24-05-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by cjocoh71 View Post
    Def pay the car guards, as others have mentioned, it is their livelihood and they take their "job" very seriously, and is usually significantly cheaper than if you were paying for parking.

Also agree that tipping should be somewhere in the 10-15% range, and more if the service is off-the-charts stellar, although I tend to be a little too generous at home with tipping and similarly so when I'm away and in a more carefree, more relaxed, more thankful mental space, about life in general.

I love South Africans (not the least because I, myself, was born there some almost 45 years ago ...!) but because I find them to be wonderfully friendly and genuinely helpful people. They really will try to assist, when and wherever possible, and will endeavour to make your stay most enjoyable.

Where about are you staying in the winery region??
    Hi, we are staying in McGregor. A lovely 3 bedroom house for $183 per night.
    Thanks for advice about tipping and car guards!

Thanks
    Reviews
    I didn't see many car guards on my recent trip to Cape Town.. Only on places where there were not ticket people. Best to pay and them to look after yr car. Cost is 5 - 10 rand for a short stay. Once I got out of Cape Town to the little towns., Car Guards were everywhere. Cost of parking is still cheap compared to oz. Driving around with a hire car is my preference and makes things easy. No dodgy taxi or late night wondering how to get home. As a single travelling on both trips.. It makes me feel safer n more willing to explore.. Though I have driven.. With a gps., in many many countries. I generally tip about 10%. Food is cheap in sA., enjoy yr time there eating up a storm.

16. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to kylie764 For This Useful Post:

HB13  (24-05-2016),Hopeful1975  (24-05-2016),Petulia  (24-05-2016),Rhino  (24-05-2016)