+ Reply to Thread
Page 15 of 19 FirstFirst ... 51314151617 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    @zols: you got me interested about tamoxifen. I just read a research paper. The success with the use of medication depends on the diagnosis. Have a read for the statistic. http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/1...1.01163.x/full

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by zols View Post

Hi, new poster to this forum. My DH has NOA is scheduled to have an mtese in the next few months. The cause of the NOA was undescended testicles which were corrected as a child.

We have one shot at this so obviously we would like try everything we can for a successful outcome. Does anyone have any advice with regards to supplements to take or medication to boost testosterone. DH’s testosterone level is on the very low side of normal.

I have read on UK forums about Dr Ramsay in the UK prescribing tamoxifen with success without the need for surgery. Does anyone have any experience of this in Australia?
    I have a lot of experience of this in Australia.

You need to find a FS willing to prescribe clomid and arimidex, most are frightened to step outside of the norms (straight to mTESE or TESE for example), particularly as these drugs are 'off label' for use in males.

My FSH was sky high, I was azoospermic and my LH was also high (from undescended corrected late in childhood) - the doctors said I had no chance of drugs working, so I forced the issue and got the drugs, 6 months later - small number of sperm in the ejaculate and have avoided mTESE which, despite what the docs tell you, is damaging to the guys future production of testosterone.

My advice, research the living crap out of everything you're told, try the drugs first iif you want (it's your body!) and find a FS who is willing to acknowledge the work of people like Paul Turek and Jonathan Ramsay. Don't let the FS railroad you straight into mTESE without exploring *all* the options first.

In defense of testicular sperm there is a counter argument that they work better than ejaculated in guys with severe low counts, because they've not been damaged on their way out of a poorly running engine. This is discounted by Turek though, so you need to make your own mind up on that and research it.

Also, don't be shy of arranging skype/phone consultations with Turek and Ramsay, but prepare/send all of your tests and information first so it's clear to them what your situation is.
    Last edited by fitz73; 16-09-2016 at 09:53.

Thanks
    Reviews
    @fitz73: thank you for posting your experience. It is very rare to get posts from a male perspective! I was on this thread for many years and the use of drugs aren't mentioned in the past until recently. I'm glad that there are new info coming up on here.

With the use of drugs, I would be interested to see a live birth example here.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Well, hopefully I'll be able to post a live birth one day! Our problem is that we're also struggling to get eggs - so may be a while, but I reckon we'll get there.

Thanks
    Reviews
    BB, I tried to reply to your PM but your inbox is full.

Thanks
    Reviews
    @fitz73: mail box cleaned.

Thanks
    Reviews
    @fitz73: Thank you that was very helpful. DH also has extremely high FSH. Can I ask what you were prescribed? We have just been prescribed Armidex after asking. I am torn between going straight to surgery and trying the drugs first (6-9 months). I am in my late 30s so am concerned the any delay will impact my fertility (though my AMH is excellent, and no issues at my end).

bbhope- Thanks I am OK, I have known throughout our relationship and come to terms with it. That research was helpful, I am finding myself researching the internet allot! If you go to the fertilityfriends forum there is a thread on Dr Ramsay and there seems to be many success stories of sperm being found without the need for surgery (can't recall specifics around live birth).

Thanks
    Reviews
    @zols: I have some questions for u if u don't mind. But I can't pm you until u have 5 posts. Bubhub rule. Yes, I have seen dr Ramsey thread but there weren't too much info about the drugs effectiveness and side effects at the time we were trying. From the article I posted the link above, the success of the drug really depends on the diagnosis. Same as mTESE.

you really don't know how well u r with IVF until u try a cycle. My AMH was fine. Everything was fine but a poor responder. And something popped up in my uterus out of nowhere during one cycle. It was actually our choice to go straight to mTESE thus seeking the surgeon. It was a long journey enough and dragging it on only hurt our daily life (depressing).

Of course, don't misunderstand. I am not discouraging you in any sort. I think it is a brilliant idea to to try the drugs because if that's a lot of success then might worth a try without going through surgery. It is good that new things have come up since. It is certainly time consuming.

Thanks
    Reviews
    bbhope- Happy for you to PM me.....

Thanks
    Reviews
    .....spreading my response over a few posts so you can...